Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thumbs up Oxidation/corrosion in the barrel and flash hider

Guys, I took my AR and HK 93 clones out of the safe, and saw what appears to be the preliminary effects of oxidation in the barrel and flash hider. This was the first time that I've seen this on any of my rifles. After shooting them, I always clean them with the regular cleaning solvents (Hoppe's Elite, No. 9 (sometimes) and CLP. I then out them back in the safe.

The last time I fired my C93 rifle, I used mostly Wolf 55 gr. FMJ and may have put a couple of round of PMC brass FMJ through it. I used a toothbrush and some Hoppe's No.9 solvent on it and that seemed to do the trick. However, I did the same on the flash hider of my AR about two weeks ago.....and it's back!

I've shot corrosive ammo through an old surplus rifle of mine before, and forgot to clean it. I saw the same GREEN film..I put some warm water through barrel and ran cloths through it to dry it. That took care of the green film (oxidation/corrosion). I've never fired corrosive 5.56 NATO or .223 ammo through my rifles, so I had a tough time trying to find out where the corrosion came from.

Well, I looked into the ammo can that I use to store my firearm cleaning supplies and found some type of green slime in the base. It looked like some old corrosive ammo was left in the can and mixed with some spilled gun oil! Guess what else was resting at the base, mixed in with the slime...???...my bore snake!

I guess the corrosive solution got onto the bore snake and I then used it to clean my rifles without noticing the slime. So, I threw the bore snake away and tonight I'll have to clean the rifles...again.

If I remember correctly, plain old soapy water works on corrosive salts/slime. Is there any other water based mix I can use? Thanks!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Re: Oxidation/corrosion in the barrel and flash hider

Quote Originally Posted by Sinatra View Post
    Guys, I took my AR and HK 93 clones out of the safe, and saw what appears to be the preliminary effects of oxidation in the barrel and flash hider. This was the first time that I've seen this on any of my rifles. After shooting them, I always clean them with the regular cleaning solvents (Hoppe's Elite, No. 9 (sometimes) and CLP. I then out them back in the safe.

The last time I fired my C93 rifle, I used mostly Wolf 55 gr. FMJ and may have put a couple of round of PMC brass FMJ through it. I used a toothbrush and some Hoppe's No.9 solvent on it and that seemed to do the trick. However, I did the same on the flash hider of my AR about two weeks ago.....and it's back!

I've shot corrosive ammo through an old surplus rifle of mine before, and forgot to clean it. I saw the same GREEN film..I put some warm water through barrel and ran cloths through it to dry it. That took care of the green film (oxidation/corrosion). I've never fired corrosive 5.56 NATO or .223 ammo through my rifles, so I had a tough time trying to find out where the corrosion came from.

Well, I looked into the ammo can that I use to store my firearm cleaning supplies and found some type of green slime in the base. It looked like some old corrosive ammo was left in the can and mixed with some spilled gun oil! Guess what else was resting at the base, mixed in with the slime...???...my bore snake!

I guess the corrosive solution got onto the bore snake and I then used it to clean my rifles without noticing the slime. So, I threw the bore snake away and tonight I'll have to clean the rifles...again.

If I remember correctly, plain old soapy water works on corrosive salts/slime. Is there any other water based mix I can use? Thanks!
    On another forum, one of the members suggested that it could just be Copper solvent eating the copper in the brass that I'm are seeing.

He recommended that I test it by putting some Hoppes no. 9 on a copper slug and let it soak a few days.

I have to admit that this is a new take on the situation, that I hadn't thought of. On my gas piston AR, the green film appeared near the end of the piston plug too. I believe (not 100% sure) that I ran the dirty bore snake through that area as well. I will try the new test and let you guys know.

In the meantime, if you guys know the best way to get ride of existing corrosion/oxidation, please let me know.

(York County)

Not 100% sure if you norrowed it down to the ammunition, but I would try running some windex that has ammonia in it down the barrel and see what that does for you. Run some patches with the windex on it down the barrel and then clean it the normal way you do it. I have used this a couple of times and it has worked well. Best of luck
    GB

Quote Originally Posted by GreenBlood10 View Post
    Not 100% sure if you norrowed it down to the ammunition, but I would try running some windex that has ammonia in it down the barrel and see what that does for you. Run some patches with the windex on it down the barrel and then clean it the normal way you do it. I have used this a couple of times and it has worked well. Best of luck
    GB
    I did just that last night, but the oxidation is somewhat thick on the flash hider, so it didn't all come off. I might need to get a toothbrush with longer bristles. Thanks.

(Armstrong County)

You kids are funny. You act like you are new at owning firearms with flash hiders / muzzle breaks.

What you have is vaporized copper residue from your shooting the rifle.
    To get it off and make it easier to clean, use a good copper solvent and scrub real well, then clean with Hoppe's #9 solvent, Oil with Weapons Shield.

An OC Activist and 1 of the 3%
    Ed Stephan
    FeedBack: https://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.p...ight=edstephan
    http://forum.pafoa.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3790&dateline=1331561  797An OathKeeper and OC Activist, 1 of the 3%, Ed Stephan

Red face Re: Oxidation/corrosion in the barrel and flash hider

Quote Originally Posted by edstephan View Post
    You kids are funny. You act like you are new at owning firearms with flash hiders / muzzle breaks.

What you have is vaporized copper residue from your shooting the rifle.
    To get it off and make it easier to clean, use a good copper solvent and scrub real well, then clean with Hoppe's #9 solvent, Oil with Weapons Shield.

An OC Activist and 1 of the 3%
    Ed Stephan
    Whew! When I saw that green dust/film, I started thinking...CORROSIVE DAMAGE and got ticked. That's the first time I can recall seeing that on any of my rifles. I shot corrosive ammo through my Mauser once and left it in the vault for a bit. Now, that made sense to me, so i cleaned it.

This time I did the same thing, and ran water and window cleaner through the barrel, but didn't scrub it very well. The green dust came back after a day or so.

So, it's just vaporized copper residue? And scrubbing with Hoppe's #9 will do the trick? Is it best to us a brass brush in Hoppes and scrub it?

That does make me feel better. Thanks!
    Last edited by Sinatra; December 22nd, 2009 at 04:16 PM.

(Montgomery County)

they sell copper removing Hoppes for a reason.

I get this on all my rifles that have flashhiders.

in fact, on the same day I heavily fire one, especially my M16, you can see the copper deposits ON the flashhider before they corrode, if i dont clean it rigth away.

looks gilded actually.
    "Oderint Dum Metuant" - BMFH

"Tact is for people not witty enough to use sarcasm"

Note: any whingeing crazy that hits my PM inbox will be deleted without reply

Red face Re: Oxidation/corrosion in the barrel and flash hider

Quote Originally Posted by JayBell View Post
    they sell copper removing Hoppes for a reason.

I get this on all my rifles that have flashhiders.

in fact, on the same day I heavily fire one, especially my M16, you can see the copper deposits ON the flashhider before they corrode, if i dont clean it rigth away.

looks gilded actually.
    So, just to put me at ease, the green copper deposits won't damage the metal of the flash hider, but just make it look crappy? I know that this sounds hardcore NOOB, but I don't recall seeing this before.
    Last edited by Sinatra; December 22nd, 2009 at 05:14 PM.

(Montgomery County)

not going to damage anything, it just looks crappy.

the copper oxidisation and deposits can be removed by a vinegar soak, or a mild citic acid solution like lemon juice, but MAY remove the parkerizing or bluing also on the flashhider, so I'd just scrub it with copper remover hoppes.
    "Oderint Dum Metuant" - BMFH

"Tact is for people not witty enough to use sarcasm"

Note: any whingeing crazy that hits my PM inbox will be deleted without reply

(Blair County)

Another bunch of reasons to NEVER let a Bore Snake anywhere near a barrel!!!
    Steve

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast