Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Perry County)

Default Cold Steel Machetes

I'm looking to buy a machete from cold steel. I can't decide whether to pick the latin machete or the bolo machete. Any suggestions, pros and cons. Also, if I pick the latin should I get the 18" blade or the 24" blade.
    Thanks

(Lehigh County)

Default Re: Cold Steel Machetes

I've got probably all of the variations that Cold Steel makes and have used them all to clear the tree and shrub lines on my property from encroaching onto the mowable sections. I turned the chore into a fun game with my boys, and we call it "Pirates Of The Caribbean" or "Kill The Somali Pirates", since the larger machetes are more like swords.

Highly recommended, you can't go wrong on any of the Cold Steel offerings... and how they keep their prices so low is beyond me.

For extra heavy duty work I prefer the long-handled one that looks like something a headsman would use for decapitation. This dainty lass ($20) has earned her keep several times over already.

I also recommend the double-edged model, since it allows to you swing and cut in both directions, instead of wasting half your energy by only being able to cut on the downswing.

Last edited by Robert Kayland; June 25th, 2009 at 11:27 AM.

(Montgomery County)

I have the light machete, the Khopi machete, and the bowie machete from Cold Steel.

Personally, i like the bowie version best for yard/brush work, for antipersonnel or zombie, the Khopi is my choice (looks like the swords form "300")

for REAL Zombie, the Cold Steel Katana sword is coming out
    "Oderint Dum Metuant" - BMFH

"Tact is for people not witty enough to use sarcasm"

Note: any whingeing crazy that hits my PM inbox will be deleted without reply

(Perry County)

bump.........
    Looking for more opinions if possible.
    By the way. Thanks to jaybell and robert kayland for their input.

FWIW, I think most CS products are great buys and perform as advertised. They are more of an importer than a manufacturer and thats how prices stay low on some products. Most of the machetes are sold in third world countries under the actual manufacturers name, Lasher. I have several machetes, several Bushmans, and a Safekeeper II, Urban Dart, SRK, and "Carbon V" Trailmaster Bowie and I am happy with them all. This company dosen't get a whole lot of respect in the cutlery world because the president comes off as an outlandish huckster, and his products outperform a lot of (much) higher priced competetors.

(Blair County)

And if you want to race, name the place and I'll show you where it's at mother f@#$&#!

I love my Woodman's Pal too! Do you have a repo of the WWII-era manual on how to fight with one? Great weapon, but a little more expensive than the CS machetes.

(Perry County)

I've been a fan of the WoodmansPal for a long time but it never seems to fit my budget when I'm in the market for it. So I figure I'll buy the machete. Maybe I'll get one for Christmas one of these years.

(Blair County)

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    I love my Woodman's Pal too! Do you have a repo of the WWII-era manual on how to fight with one? Great weapon, but a little more expensive than the CS machetes.
    I do not have the manual. I look but never find copies anywhere.
    And if you want to race, name the place and I'll show you where it's at mother f@#$&#!

(Wayne County)

Hey Sleeper,

My $0.02 on the issue. It would depend on what you intend to cut with your machete on a regular basis. I have many machetes that I use at home and at work.

I have a Collins & Co. that was my grandfathers that he used while surveying for the Ft. Pitt tunnel in PGH. It has a 27" blade. I have a Barteax & Sons w/ a 24" blade and a "D" handle knuckle guard. I've got an authentic Panga knife w/ 18" blade that I used in Peace Corps in Africa. It's got a thick, heavy, weight forward blade. I've got a Kukri and I keep a little 10"-12" blade cheapo machete in my work truck for cutting survey stakes in the field.

The length and weight of the blade depends on what you want to cut. Lighter vegetation like high grass, pulpy plants, vines, briars usually respond better to a thinner, longer blade in my experience. When working w/ raspberry bushes, the longer the better so you don't rip up your knuckles.

For heavier brush like tree branches or even small trees, I'd recommend something like the bolo w/ a shorter blade but with some weight. I think Cold Steel makes a Panga-style machete also. The weight forward design really allows you to build up some momentum for a deep cut where a light, long blade tends to bounce more.

I can't tell you which to pick. Hopefully, this helps you choose, though.
    Sed ego sum homo indomitus

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast