Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    (Franklin County)

Default Funny story today (about an atheist)...

I had some guy stuttering today...

I said "Have a Merry Christmas" to him parting ways. He was an acquaintance of mine, I see him around. He looked up at me and said "I'm an atheist and don't celebrate Christmas"...

I was thinking "Oh great here we go... I'm face to face with the PC police"

As many of you know I love a good debate. So I asked him... "Would you be willing to work a full day on Christmas with regular pay, since after all you don't celebrate it"?

"Well its a umm... it's a federal holiday so I get it off anyway".

I chuckled and said... "Funny, I don't hear you so called "atheists" complaining about the free day off with pay. I suppose you don't give presents to your kids Christmas morning"? Knowing this guy did have kids...

Again... nothing... "Uh... I wouldn't do that to them".

I came back with "So basically you are willing to take the good stuff with Christmas, but only champion your "atheist" beliefs when someone says Marry Christmas to you"?

He got flustered and changed the subject obviously defeated. I had a good chuckle and said "see you around man"...

Funny how when reality and so called "ideology" clash... reality must give way.

(Adams County)

Default Re: Funny story today (about an atheist)...

there was a woman that live next door to an atheist. well one day he died. so as a good neighbor she went to she him all laid out in his best suit. she stood there for a while and just looked. then she said poor bastard all dressed up and nowhere to go.

(Columbia County)

People are too sensitive about silly things like that. I'm an atheist and I don't care if someone says Merry Christmas to me. Hell, they can say Happy Kwanza or Happy Hannakuh for all I care. Chances are that I'll say it right back to them. No harm no foul. I never understood why people got so offended by that. I find it offensive that everyone else has to change their ways and say 'Happy Holidays' instead of 'Merry Christmas' because of the fear of someone getting offended (gotta be politically correct, ya know!).

(Clinton County)

I'm an atheist and I say merry christmas. Its a holiday who cares if you believe in it or not; its fun...they are just miserable people. Not all atheists want to piss on the parade.

You know what? I don't mind the 'atheist' thing to some extent. I also don't really mind the 'jab' that atheists' might be trying to get a 'free ride' on others holidays ... seriously I don't.

BUT I am an atheist and while I am I respect the religions and practices of those around me (friends and family) and I can 'go along with them' I find most holidays nothing more than a "day I can't get work done". and that is because I MUST stop my normal activities to 'celebrate' whatever holiday it is.

Personally I would be 100% fine eliminating every damn 'holiday' that requires anyone to be forced to 'stop what they are doing' .... people can pick and choose as they may.

So from a true 'atheist' let me say this:

Happy Holidays

Merry Christmas

Happy Hanukkah

Happy Kwanzaa

Whatever it is you do or do NOT celebrate that's fine with me, just don't piss down my neck because I don't share your beliefs!

(Allegheny County)

Yeah, I'm not Jewish, but if someone wishes me "Happy Festivus", I don't get all bent out of shape.
    (and honestly, I love that whole "Feats of Strength" thing!)

And the "Airing of Grievances" ain't so bad either.

Last edited by Emptymag; December 24th, 2009 at 12:10 AM.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    Yeah, I'm not Jewish, but if someone wishes me "Happy Festivus", I don't get all bent out of shape.

I like the Airing of Greivances. Good times.

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post

And the "Airing of Grievances" ain't so bad either.

Ah yes but what type festivus pole do you allow in your home, makes one HELL of a difference!

Aluminum? Sorry you are a heathen

Steel? Some kind of backwoods wanna be follower

Chrome Moly? Sorry better read the manual again?

ONLY a true believer knows what metal the festivus pole should be!

What I fail to understand is why an atheist would be upset about anything spiritual. Not believing in Christ or Yahweh or The Giant Turtle means that you don't think that anyone can see into your heart and know the hypocrisy.

I understand why Christians have the story about being willing to die rather than renounce their faith; because that sort of thing matters to God. But if there's no God, then who are the atheists mindful of offending?

Atheism is just the absence of a certain kind of belief, it hardly seems like a co-equal faith tradition. It's like comparing a trip to the mall to a trip to the mountains to staying home; staying home isn't a "trip" at all, it's just the absence of going anywhere, so you don't really have any of the same concerns that a traveler would have. An atheist just doesn't seem to have the spiritual issues that a Christian would have when forced to chant Islamic gibberish. (it's a joke, dammit; and we're still not even for that whole World Trade Towers prank.)

An atheist isn't betraying anyone by going through the motions of returning "Merry Christmas" or even insulating his house 3-deep in plastic Santas.
    Attorney Phil Kline, AKA gunlawyer001@gmail.com
    Ce sac n'est pas un jouet.

(Columbia County)

Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    What I fail to understand is why an atheist would be upset about anything spiritual. Not believing in Christ or Yahweh or The Giant Turtle means that you don't think that anyone can see into your heart and know the hypocrisy.

I understand why Christians have the story about being willing to die rather than renounce their faith; because that sort of thing matters to God. But if there's no God, then who are the atheists mindful of offending?

Atheism is just the absence of a certain kind of belief, it hardly seems like a co-equal faith tradition. It's like comparing a trip to the mall to a trip to the mountains to staying home; staying home isn't a "trip" at all, it's just the absence of going anywhere, so you don't really have any of the same concerns that a traveler would have. An atheist just doesn't seem to have the spiritual issues that a Christian would have when forced to chant Islamic gibberish. (it's a joke, dammit; and we're still not even for that whole World Trade Towers prank.)

An atheist isn't betraying anyone by going through the motions of returning "Merry Christmas" or even insulating his house 3-deep in plastic Santas.
    Exactly. Most aetheists don't get offended and couldn't give a damn whether or not someone says 'Merry Christmas'... it's just a vocal few that give us a bad name... Similar to the very few Muslims that are actually terrorists and give the rest bad names. There are always those in any 'group' that will stand out and make that 'group' look bad.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast