Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PA vs FL

Default PA vs FL

I'm looking at moving from FL to PA and had some questions regarding ammo, mag capacity, and other restrictions...

I was poking around the forum, but I wasn't able to find what I was looking for...

- Do firearms need to be registered? If so, is it an involved process?

- Any ammunition restrictions?

- Any magazine capacity restrictions for handguns and/or rifles?

- With regards to the Security Industry, are there caliber restrictions? In FL, Armed Security is restricted to 9mm, .380acp, and .38spl.

- How involved is the licensing process for Security and Concealed?

- In FL, www.MyLicenseSite.com pretty much lists all the info you will/would need for CCW & Security. Is there a website that lists these for PA?

Thanks for the help in advance.

Default Re: PA vs FL

Quote Originally Posted by Tackleberry81 View Post
    I'm looking at moving from FL to PA and had some questions regarding ammo, mag capacity, and other restrictions...

I was poking around the forum, but I wasn't able to find what I was looking for...

- Do firearms need to be registered? If so, is it an involved process?
    No

NO
    - Any magazine capacity restrictions for handguns and/or rifles?
    Sorta, No hunting large game with semi-auto anything. No hunting small game with semi-auto rifle but you can hunt small game and waterfowl with auto-loading shotgun. For general purposes of target shooting/self defense NO. However, if you shoot at a State Game Comission Public Range, there are restrictions to the number of rounds you can load into a firearm...read the rules before using facility, rules are posted.

- With regards to the Security Industry, are there caliber restrictions? In FL, Armed Security is restricted to 9mm, .380acp, and .38spl.
    NO
    - How involved is the licensing process for Security and Concealed?
    Concealed, none. Your are covered in PA with your Fl CCW. Pennsylvania issues via the Sheriff's office a License To Carry Firearms. Its not a permit for carrying concealed only...read the laws on this site.
    In PA, to work armed security, you must successfully pass state law or ACT 235, Leathal Weapons Training Act.

- In FL, www.MyLicenseSite.com pretty much lists all the info you will/would need for CCW & Security. Is there a website that lists these for PA?

to apply for a LTCF in Pa, just apply at the County Sheriff where you will reside. State law states it must be issued to you within 45 days, usually takes less time. There are no requirements for weapons qual, use of force, training, or anything. Just file out the form, they run a background, pay the extra five bucks to get the one with our picture on it, and thats it. Pretty straight forward and simple.
    Thanks for the help in advance.
    Any further questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

(Centre County)

On PaFOA, in just about every discussion area, there are, at the top of the page, some things called "stickys". These are informational threads that people have put together for the most asked questions. Those would be the areas that you want to read first. They should answer almost all of your general questions about many subjects, including the carry laws in PA, where you can and cannot carry a gun, concealed and open carry, buying and selling guns, etc., etc., etc. They are very good answers to questions. If you then can't find what you want/need to know, then post a question in the discussion area that most closely matches your question area. You'll find that there are very knowledgeable people on this forum who can answer just about anything you can ask.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Tackleberry81 View Post
    You can't have explosive ammunition.

Oh ... welcome to the forum!
    Last edited by mojo; July 28th, 2009 at 08:22 AM. Reason: welcome
    Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    If the police could confiscate all of your guns and ammo using just one van, then you didn't own enough guns or ammo.
    WTB - NDS3 or NDS1 receiver FTF

(Washington County)

Before you can carry as an armed security guard you need to go through the academy and be certified. Your LTCF (license to carry firearms), PA's version of a Concealed Weapons Permit, doesn't mean that you can carry on the job.

Edit to add: I love the screenname. You work as a security guard and your s/n is Tackleberry.

(Lebanon County)

One other thing, up here, you'll not loose your license over printing.

Thanks for all the info guys!

I really appreciate it!

(Washington County)

Quote Originally Posted by theshadow View Post
    One other thing, up here, you'll not loose your license over printing.
    You can't print in FL?

(Lebanon County)

Quote Originally Posted by hiflyf22 View Post
    You can't print in FL?
    Don't take it as gospel, but one of my closest friends lives in FL, and he told me if he printed, he'd loose his license and get a brandishing (or similar) charge. I never verified with an official site, but this is one of the people in my life experience has shown me I can take at face value and trust implicitly.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by theshadow View Post
    if he printed, he'd loose his license and get a brandishing (or similar) charge.
    I heard the same thing during the Utah CC License course when we were discussing the differences in state laws.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast