Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Trying to buy a plinker in VA

I have been shopping around for a cheap little 22lr plinker rifle to take to the range while im at school in Virginia. I just dont know all the rules and what not. I was told many different things.

First, a man at Dick's told me I could buy anything in the store I wanted with just my drivers license and my fishing license as my second form of ID. Yes, a fishing license. The next day a different sales clerk told me I couldn't buy anything in the store because PA didn't border VA.

The clerk at the local sporting goods store told me I could buy a long gun as long as it wasn't considered an "assult rifle" since I have a valid PA DL and my PA LTCF.

Anyways, does anyone from PA have any experience buying a long gun in VA?

I can always wait until I am back in PA but then it will be winter and the range down here will be closed I believe. Thanks for all your help and sorry if I put this in the wrong forum.

(Chester County)

Default Re: Trying to buy a plinker in VA

Pursuant to 18 USC 922(b)(3), purchase of longarms from an FFL can be made to a resident of another state. The sale must comport with the state laws of both the selling FFL's state and the buyer's state of residence.

18 USC 922(b) It shall be unlawful for any licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector to sell or deliver—
    (3) any firearm to any person who the licensee knows or has reasonable cause to believe does not reside in (or if the person is a corporation or other business entity, does not maintain a place of business in) the State in which the licensee’s place of business is located, except that this paragraph (A) shall not apply to the sale or delivery of any rifle or shotgun to a resident of a State other than a State in which the licensee’s place of business is located if the transferee meets in person with the transferor to accomplish the transfer, and the sale, delivery, and receipt fully comply with the legal conditions of sale in both such States (and any licensed manufacturer, importer or dealer shall be presumed, for purposes of this subparagraph, in the absence of evidence to the contrary, to have had actual knowledge of the State laws and published ordinances of both States), and (B) shall not apply to the loan or rental of a firearm to any person for temporary use for lawful sporting purposes;
    Last edited by tl_3237; September 13th, 2010 at 08:08 PM.
    IANAL

(Perry County)

This is the most anecdotal of evidence, but:
    last summer I was in Front Royal Va. I went into a pawn shop and the owner, an FFL, said I could buy a long gun and take it with me. However, a handgun would have to be shipped to an FFL in Pa.

(Bucks County)

as a PA resident you can buy a long gun of any kind in VA with just your drivers license and a second form of ID with your address on it. i used my DL and car resgistration when i purchased a microtech AUG clone from a fairfax, va gunshop and a calico from quantico marine corps base PX. pistols have to be shipped to a FFL in PA but that's true no matter what state your in. what type of 22 are you looking for? I have a NIB sig 522 for 425.

(Monroe County)

I had 3 friends pick long guns when they came down to visit me in VA.
    If you get down to SE VA go to my wifes shop and you won't have a hassle.
    www.the-armory.com
    If you see a pistol you like they will be happy to ship to your FFL up here.
    Owner Trigger Time LLc 01 FFL/NFA Saylorsburg, PA. Sales/Service/Transfers/Training
    NRA CRSO/Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun inst. BSA Rifle/Shotgun Merit badge counselor. US Navy Marksmanship Team Staff

I'm here in VA. PM and if you're close enough I'd be more than happy to let you come with me on a range trip.
    If only ammo was cheap. Wait. I reload. Darn .22 lr.