Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (York County)

Default Any body appalled by the rise in gun prices being asked for?

I mean not only here, but elsewhere as well. I keep seeing things like Ak's going for $600 obo, WTH over. Or, as god is my witness I saw a High point for sale for $400. A friggin high point 9mm pistol. For $400 I better get at least 3 of those. I don't know if its the economy, fear of agun ban or what? All I kow is that if it keeps up, I'm selling all my guns and buying my own small island some where.

Dave W.
    3%

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: Any body appalled by the rise in gun prices being asked for?

Nah, it doesn't bother me. People are free to ask any price they want. That is what capitalism is all about. It is up to me or the others to decide what their limits are. Hell, call me a fool but i just picked up a polish under folder ak for $850 and a sar-1 for $500. Just a few months ago, they would have went for $700 for the u/f and $400 for the sar-1. They were always guns i wanted but never got around to getting. I was too busy buying AR's and NFA toys. I decided after the election that i should get them while the getting is still good. Did i pay too much? Don't know but i have the last of the "toys" i've wanted and the time spent shooting them at the range with my son is priceless.

Where liberty is but a flickering flame in the distance., New Jersey

Yes.

Well since I need 10 chars, I'll expand. I have seen some firearms in our classifieds with prices that honestly made me LOL. It's sort of ridiculous. I guess people can ask all they want, but it just sticks in my craw.

(Lehigh County)

The problem with selling pistols classified is that the owner doesn't want to take a bath on the sale, but once you tack on shipping and FFL transfer fees, if what you're asking is what somebody can buy the pistol for new, +- 10%, then people are just going to buy new.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by Guns4Fun View Post
    Nah, it doesn't bother me. People are free to ask any price they want. That is what capitalism is all about. It is up to me or the others to decide what their limits are. Hell, call me a fool but i just picked up a polish under folder ak for $850 and a sar-1 for $500. Just a few months ago, they would have went for $700 for the u/f and $400 for the sar-1. They were always guns i wanted but never got around to getting. I was too busy buying AR's and NFA toys. I decided after the election that i should get them while the getting is still good. Did i pay too much? Don't know but i have the last of the "toys" i've wanted and the time spent shooting them at the range with my son is priceless.
    It shuts out people who would be able to spend 500 on something, but all the prices have their "Obama fear monger markup" making the gun 650 instead.

The greed of the dealer will simply make them dig in and wait for someone who doesn't know any better to come along and pay 650 for something that should be 500. That is taking advantage of someone, not letting the market determine the cost.

I'm going to Valley Forge this weekend, I'm looking for specific things, I know what I should be paying and what I'm willing to pay. If I see gouging, I'm not going to buy anything, and I'll bet if I see overpriced guns on Friday evening, those same guns will be there an hour before the show closes on Sunday.

Where liberty is but a flickering flame in the distance., New Jersey

Quote Originally Posted by ReefBlue View Post
    It shuts out people who would be able to spend 500 on something, but all the prices have their "Obama fear monger markup" making the gun 650 instead.

The greed of the dealer will simply make them dig in and wait for someone who doesn't know any better to come along and pay 650 for something that should be 500. That is taking advantage of someone, not letting the market determine the cost.

I'm going to Valley Forge this weekend, I'm looking for specific things, I know what I should be paying and what I'm willing to pay. If I see gouging, I'm not going to buy anything, and I'll bet if I see overpriced guns on Friday evening, those same guns will be there an hour before the show closes on Sunday.
    That right there is the key. I know what I can order the things I am looking for and if the price is much more than that I will work to negotiate the vendor down to a reasonable price, but I will not pay the prices asked if they are absurd. I'm on the fence about if I am going to pick up mags and ammo for the AK and AR or if I will look for a shotgun or 10/22 and some AR or AK accessories. It will depend on the prices I guess.

Maybe I am looking at different guns, but I haven't seen any exorbitantly high prices lately. I thought the PICs fee at one store was high, and their guns were slightly higher than other stores, but for the places I usually frequent, most prices are pretty close to what they were a few months ago. Supply and demand has a way of changing that though. I was in my regular store yesterday to see about a pistol I had ordered, and the owner was telling a husband and wife who had just purchased a couple of pistols that his one supplier had a backorder of 79,000 units (EBRs) because of increased sales after the elections. So yeah, stuff like that will drive up prices on guns.

Now ammo, I have been seeing that go up practically while I am standing there looking at it on the shelf. You know it is bad when an outfitter comes up to you and takes a box out of your hand to change the sticker while you are in the checkout line!

ok i have a question, i may be going to the gun show tomorrow to sell my heavy barrel ar15 but dont know how much to ask for it. its got a dpms lower with a colt ( i assume due to the background of the previous owner) upper with heavy barrel, also has the rhino systems device installed on it, im guessing the upper is full auto due to the extra heavy bolt and the rhino device. the rhino device is a adjustable gas regulator for full auto, im just wondering what its worth.
    FJB

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by adymond View Post
    I have seen some firearms in our classifieds with prices that honestly made me LOL. It's sort of ridiculous. I guess people can ask all they want, but it just sticks in my craw.
    Amen. I can't count how many times I've seen used guns on these boards for over or insanely close to the cost of new retail for the same model.

"Only 1000 rounds through it! You save $10!"
    Last edited by Willie D; December 20th, 2008 at 12:31 PM.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by ReefBlue View Post

I guess this is where you and i differ in opinion. If the dealer sets the price at $650 and no one buys it, eventually the dealer will lower their price so they can move it. The problem for the people with only $500 is that they can not compete against the buyers that are willing to spend the $650 for the gun. The next question is if the dealer prices the gun at $500 and moves his entire inventory how long is it going to take him to re supply his stock in today’s climate? And how much more is it going to cost him. Dealers want to sell their guns at a profit as well as have enough money for what the future guns will cost them.

I don't like higher prices any more than the next guy---but if people are willing to pay more, a smart business man will charge what the market will bear. Simple supply and demand. Sometimes it sucks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast