Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Chester County)

Question Laws regarding travel to NJ

I'm hoping that one of you guys might be able to help me out with some information. I have a PA LTCF and regularly carry. However, I have family in the peoples republic of New Jersey. Does anyone know the laws regarding travel with a handgun there? I assume I'd be legal if I pulled over before crossing the Delaware, unloaded and locked the ammo separate from the firearm (i.e. trunk & glove box or something like that).

The odds of anything happening are slim but I would not risk a felony so I want to make sure that whatever I do is within NJ laws. I'm hoping I won't have to leave the Glock at home entirely when I make these trips.

Many Thanks.
    PC

(Delaware County)

Default Re: Laws regarding travel to NJ

I would like to know as well.

I'm from Trenton, NJ and still visit regularly to see my family and friends. My mother still lives in the city and right now it's considered one of the top ten worst cities in the US. It was originally an Italian neighborhood but as I grew up, it turned heavily Puerto Rican and then African American. I got robbed at gun point just down the street from my house when I was 19. Since you have to be 21 in NJ to purchase a handgun at the time, I didn't have anything to protect myself. I also couldn't get a LTCF because its nearly impossible unless you blow a higher up. lol. If I had owned a handgun, I would have probably carried for protection back then even though it was illegal since the neighborhood was such shit.

I'm still in the process with getting my LTCF in PA and when I do, I would like to bring the gun into NJ when I visit my family but as the poster above stated, I do not want to get in trouble doing so. Back when I still lived there, I didn't have as much to lose if I got caught carrying. Now I would like to be able to protect myself when I visit but doing so legally. I own a Range Rover and an Escalade, so that's another reason I want to have protection when I go there. All I have now is a large hunting knife and a switchblade in the glove box, neither of which are legal to carry.

Another plus about visiting my mom, is that the Bloods, Crips, and the Latin Kings have inhabited the neighborhood, so I'm always in for a treat. lol.

(Indiana County)

Your Pennsylvania-issued LTCF is worth doggie-doo in New Jersey.

Yes, you can carry your handgun unloaded, in a container and in your car's trunk, with the bullets in a separate container, BUT ONLY IF YOU'RE PASSING THROUGH NEW JERSEY WITHOUT ANY SIDE TRIPS.

You can only transport your handgun in New Jersey, such as going to visit relatives, IF YOU HAVE A NEW JERSEY ISSUED FIREARMS OWNER'S IDENTIFICATION CARD, and you can't get one unless you're a New Jersey resident.

New Jersey does say that you can transport your firearm if you're going to an organized shooting match, but unless it's in Newark or Camden, I really don't think family get-togethers count as organized shooting matches.

The preceding may not be 100% accurate, but it's close enough. Just because you can carry in Pennsylvania basically means diddly-squat in New Jersey. Ask any Jersey cop.

(Delaware County)

I just forgot that alot of my friend became cops and I know some NJ staties too. Maybe I can get a NJ LTCF somehow.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Statkowski View Post
    Your Pennsylvania-issued LTCF is worth doggie-doo in New Jersey.

Yes, you can carry your handgun unloaded, in a container and in your car's trunk, with the bullets in a separate container, BUT ONLY IF YOU'RE PASSING THROUGH NEW JERSEY WITHOUT ANY SIDE TRIPS.

You can only transport your handgun in New Jersey, such as going to visit relatives, IF YOU HAVE A NEW JERSEY ISSUED FIREARMS OWNER'S IDENTIFICATION CARD, and you can't get one unless you're a New Jersey resident.

New Jersey does say that you can transport your firearm if you're going to an organized shooting match, but unless it's in Newark or Camden, I really don't think family get-togethers count as organized shooting matches.

The preceding may not be 100% accurate, but it's close enough. Just because you can carry in Pennsylvania basically means diddly-squat in New Jersey. Ask any Jersey cop.
    Thanks.

I knew my PA LTCF would not allow me to carry concealed in NJ but I was hoping the law would at least allow me to unload and have my firearm secured and locked in my trunk but I guess that is not the case. I guess I'll have to go naked when visiting the in-laws.

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by phillychoppin View Post
    Thanks.

I knew my PA LTCF would not allow me to carry concealed in NJ but I was hoping the law would at least allow me to unload and have my firearm secured and locked in my trunk but I guess that is not the case. I guess I'll have to go naked when visiting the in-laws.
    The interstate transportation protections are only helpful if your guns are legal in the destination state.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515, SteveWag

Don't end up in my signature!

(Montgomery County)

Yes, your PA LTCF is good in every part of America. NJ is not part of America.

Don't get caught with hollow point ammo, either. You'll get fucked. For each round, it's a $5000 fine - I'll get back with a reference check on that...

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by Siobhra View Post
    Yes, your PA LTCF is good in every part of America. NJ is not part of America.
    There must be about 26 states that aren't part of America then.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515, SteveWag

Don't end up in my signature!

Here's all the info you'll need...

http://www.njsp.org/about/firearms.html

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast