Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default My 2A Stance shot my being an EMT in the foot.

A little history:

In February, I was walking through a local park. I noticed that one of the parks ordinances prohibited the carry of firearms. This is in violation of Commonwealth preemption statutes. I took this matter to the Township Supervisors, and after some wrangling, they agreed the ordinance was in error, and voted to change it.

Thread HERE

I applied to my local EMS Squad because I moved, and wanted to serve my community. I'm an EMT, although not very experienced. I've just come back from the meeting where I was asked to restrict my posting on ZombieSquad, another forum I belong to, and to restrict my Second Amendment activism and restrict who I talk to on my "off time". His justification for these restrictions is that as a member of the Squad, I am never off the clock, so I always represent them.

Of course, I withdrew my application, but I cannot believe the temerity of the Board, telling private citizens what they can and can't do ON THEIR OWN TIME. Pennsylvania has a law, called Act 45. It prohibits EMS personnel for carrying firearms while on duty. I have no problem with that, don't like it, but it's the law. Unfortunately, as a member of the EMS Squad, I would not be able to render air to *ANYONE* I come across, while carrying a firearm. That's right, if I joined, they would extract a promise from me to NOT RENDER AID, until and unless I could put my gun somewhere.

All I wanted was to serve my community. I wanted to help the people I live by and try to make a bad time suck less. Instead, I was asked to give up my my rights as free citizen. They are concerned with image, appearance and so forth. I understand that, I really do, but to tell me what I can and can't so ON THE INTERNET?

Do any of you have to hide what organizations you belong to? Am I over reacting? I needed to ask people that may have gone through it, and I didn't think the Lounge would get a good cross section.

Peace is the the first choice of a wise man; superior firepower a close second. ~ Me

Default Re: My 2A Stance shot my being an EMT in the foot.

hmm... maybe time for some 1A rights...

decide to take the position... BUT, then continue to be YOU and do what YOU do... then if they fire you, educate them on the laws, NOT FOR MONEY< but for your position back. then walk out on the job a day later... lol
    This Space For Rent

(Allegheny County)

Sounds like a community not deserving of your service. OR your frustration in proving they are assholes.

Life is not often kind enough to let you 'pick your battles' as many say to do. It often shoves them down your throat. This is a situation where you honestly DO, get to pick your battle. Choose wisely.

Sneak attacks are always more effective than outward battle. All the out in the open confrontation sort of situations usually entice more people on the sidelines to 'get involved'. Popular opinion is then the deciding factor in the outcome most times. Your side does not so easily rest in favor of 'popular opinion'. Best to try to catch them with their pants down in some manner... and avoid open provocation.

IMO I don't care if the guy coming to save my life has a RPG 7 strapped to his back. Or a polka dot clown suit on. I care about dying. And if this guy is going to stop that from happening to hell... with the details. Who knows, it might even come in handy if say it was an attacker, and they return. You shouldn't have to risk personal injury to help me. But that's my opinion. Others may not feel the same way.

Find more people with your opinion. And lay on the pressure.

(Montgomery County)

I'm right around the corner from you in Lansdale/upper gwyned(sp, I know...), what parks were these signs at? Also that sucks about the job, companies(even in the private sector) these days want to tell their employee's what to do in their off time, it's bullshit. I can see police officers have to be held to a higher standard...but that's it and that's where it should stop. Go to another EMT location and try again, but this time don't tell them shit, screw em, it's non of their business...

(Philadelphia County)

Personally I say what I want about my hobby when and where I want.

This has lead to me being detained for 2 hours or so by Amtrak Police, and having my dorm room searched (in a manner in violation of my housing policy and a signed housing contract). So maybe I'm not exactly the go to guy on this issue .

I think this is BS and most people will agree. A life is a life and if a gay, transvestite, minority, communist, anti-gunner EMT saves my life than I am in debt to them regardless of their lifestyle choices. We choose to be armed; we're here, we're strapped, deal with it.

This sounds like some idiot pushing his agenda so I suggest you publicly appeal this at a council meeting, and through higher ups in the EMT chain of command.
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquillity of servitude than the animating contest of freedom, — go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen!” ~Samuel Adams

You cannot invade America. There is a rifle behind every blade of grass.” ~ Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto

(Monroe County)

I am a teacher and a public figure to boot. I direct the marching band so like it or not i am always more or less on the clock and in the comunties eyes. So yes my profession has some limitations on what i can and cant say in my comunity but i am ok with it.

but your deal sounds beat

Glade Mill Lake, Cooperstown, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

Very, Very beat.

You made a good call. Your time is your time. I don't care what you do for a living, employers have absolutely no business telling you what you can't do in your free time. If you are a public servant and members of the community have a problem with what you're into (illinois nazi party?) then you may catch some flak, but it's still your right to do whatever the hell you want.

I honestly can't see how posting on a forum would have ANY impact on how the community percieves an emt. It's not like you use your full name on a forum anyway.

BTW how did they know you post on a zombie forum? did you tell them?

Oh, in case my opinion came off as vague....FUCK THEM! you don't need your employer to tell you what to do. That's what you have a wife for.
    Last edited by P-11 shooter; July 11th, 2008 at 01:14 AM.

(Allegheny County)

So some blue-haired grandmother may die because you carry a gun and post(activist. LOL)on PAFOA.

She may die, not because your gun is a danger, but because there is at least one less willing, and capable person available to come to her aid when she clutches her chest in pain.

Retards.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

I wonder if the same restrictions on participation in public forums applies to feminists or pro-civil rights activism. That would be a fun lawsuit.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by P-11 shooter View Post
    BTW how did they know you post on a zombie forum? did you tell them?

Oh, in case my opinion came off as vague....FUCK THEM! you don't need your employer to tell you what to do. That's what you have a girlfriend for.

The Chief was made aware of ZS as it was mentioned positively in a county EMS publication. Coming in tonight, he saw my ZS plate holder on my car. It was a gift from my wife.

Peace is the the first choice of a wise man; superior firepower a close second. ~ Me

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast