Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Philadelphia County)

Default Safe Question ;)

I am going to SBR a lower and an interesting question came up. To be in possession of a NFA item does one have to have a safe to keep it in? I know it's common sense to keep firearms locked up, but will I need more than a locking case?
    Warning: I may not read responses to OP before posting

(Jefferson County)

Default Re: Safe Question ;)

No, it doesn't have to be locked up. Except if you leave with another person, then it has to be locked up so that the person "baby sitting" cant use/touch it.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515, SteveWag

Don't end up in my signature!

(Philadelphia County)

OK, thanks, that's what we thought. Apparently my buddy that brought it up was right, he was on drugs *LOL*
    Thanks again!

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    No, it doesn't have to be locked up. Except if you leave with another person, then it has to be locked up so that the person "baby sitting" cant use/touch it.
    Just to elaborate on this a bit more. It doesn't need to be left with another person "babysitting" it to require it to be locked up. If you have anyone else living in your home, they can not have access to it if you are not there. In other words, you can't keep it locked in a safe that your wife / GF has a key too. You can't leave it out on the kitchen table if others live in your home. You, the name on the form 1 are the only person aloud to have access to it. Sure, you can let others shoot it, fondle it, etc but you need to be with them at all times while they are looking at it / shooting it. You couldn’t just give the sbr to your buddy and let him take it to the range by himself. Nor should they be able to get to it without you being there.

ETA trying to be a little clearer. You can keep it in a locked gun case as long as no one else has the key. There are no requirements on how to keep it (in a safe) just so no one else has access to it.
    Last edited by Guns4Fun; December 22nd, 2008 at 10:43 PM.

(Philadelphia County)

Now as to that, would it being locked in a communal safe but with something like a cable lock through the magwell and ejection port so that only you can actually use it work? Or would a seperate locked case be needed so noone can see or touch it be needed? I know about the whole 'access' crap but how far do you need to go?

(Montgomery County)

I do not know the exact wording of the laws nor do i worry about it much because i have 2 separate safes. One safe for title 1 and one for title 2 firearms. No one in my home has access to either.

I would like to think a cable through the mag well in a shared safe would be sufficient but i do not know for sure. Again, i am the only person that can access my safes so i never worried about it too much. I just make sure i don't leave anything lying around when i'm not home and others are (obviously a good idea whether a sbr or not). I like to error on the side of caution and keep everyone away from them. I would physically lock them in a case inside the safe if others had access. I'm just paranoid like that.

I'd also like to add that you'd have to have done something very bad for them to ever check on you anyhow. They'd still need a search warrent to enter your home. They can't just show up and say show me your nfa goodies without a warrent in hand. Well, they can ask but you can tell them to come back with a warrent.

Sorry i can't be of more help.