Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Beaver County)

Default SKS bayonet question

I finally got a SKS, with no bayonet, for my nephew's Christmas present. I vaguely remember reading that after a certain date, that new imports couldn't have a bayonet attached. Could anyone clairify this for me? I don't want to break any laws, but I know that he will want one just for the cool factor.
    I vote the second first

(Jefferson County)

Default Re: SKS bayonet question

The only law that you could remotely violate by adding one is the "manufacture" of a firearm with more than 10 foreign made parts. And that depends on what level of dis-assembly is required to constitute the reassembly as "manufacture". Since you dont have to disassemble it to added one, its not manufacturing. But if you have to weld on a bayonet lug, that might be a legal issue.

The "Assault Weapon" law sunsetted back in Sept 2004. Bayonets can be attached now.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515, SteveWag

Don't end up in my signature!

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by mardo View Post
    I finally got a SKS, with no bayonet, for my nephew's Christmas present. I vaguely remember reading that after a certain date, that new imports couldn't have a bayonet attached. Could anyone clairify this for me? I don't want to break any laws, but I know that he will want one just for the cool factor.
    Here is some info on Chinese SKS

[QUOTE]Can I put the bayonet back on my “pre-ban” Chinese SKS?

Once you alter the configuration and remove a “restricted feature”, it is lost—you cannot restore the feature later. Title 18 USC § 922(r) tells us that the rifle must meet current restrictions each time it's modified. However, as a practical matter: Once the rifle is back in its original configuration, it will be difficult for anyone to prove it was ever modified in the first place…difficult, but not impossible, so caution is in order.

Restricted features may be removed during the process of repair and maintenance. It is not clear how long and under what circumstances ATF could consider protracted repair and maintenance as assembling a new configuration.

There are instances where “restricted features” added. For example, when a modified rifle is restore to its original C&R condition. However, Chinese SKS carbine are non-C&R.[QUOTE]

Here is some additional info.
    http://www.victorinc.com/SKS-FAQ.html#_Toc167103931

27hand

(Bedford County)

If the rifle has a bayonet lug, but no bayonet...you can bet it is not legal to put one on that rifle. Adding a bayonet to a SKS rifle has nothing to do with the "assault weapons ban".

I have read quite a lot of legal junk on this issue over the years, and from what I have read it all comes down to not getting caught by the ATF...and if you do...how they decide to handle the law. It's a real head shaker.

For me, the best thing is to not add a bayonet.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by BUCKMARK View Post
    If the rifle has a bayonet lug, but no bayonet...you can bet it is not legal to put one on that rifle. Adding a bayonet to a SKS rifle has nothing to do with the "assault weapons ban".

I have read quite a lot of legal junk on this issue over the years, and from what I have read it all comes down to not getting caught by the ATF...and if you do...how they decide to handle the law. It's a real head shaker.

For me, the best thing is to not add a bayonet.

Some of the 922 regs do make you shake your head and reread several times.

You could probably call the BATF to verify what you have, what configuration the rifle is in and what , if anything, you can do to it to maintain compliance.

OR, you can buy a rifle with the bayo on it and be reasonably assured it is legal without worrying about it.

Once again, this link may answer some of your concerns
    http://www.victorinc.com/SKS-FAQ.html#_Toc167103931

27goodluckhand

(York County)

What country is the SKS from? Has it been modified? (detachable magazine, different stock, etc.) Chinese carbines are the ones typically sans bayonet due to restrictions, but it could be from another manufacturer and the bayonet was just removed by someone prior to you buying it.

If it is a Chinese SKS, what kind of markings does it have on it? (Chinese writing only, "Norinco" written on it, a year prefix on the serial number, etc.)

(Allegheny County)

mardo,
    Have you looked at this forum yet?
    http://www.sksboards.com/

Everything you ever wanted to know about the SKS.
    I signed up there when I got my Yugo.

Sorry, I don't feel confident enough to answer your question.
    That crap makes my head hurt.
    I just found out that the(non-US)slant brake someone gave me, can't be put on my AK unless I swap out something else for a US part. It's nuts.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    The "Assault Weapon" law sunsetted back in Sept 2004. Bayonets can be attached now.
    The law pertaining to the SKS wasnt part of the AWB. It was part of a law enacted back in 1991 I think it was by Bush Sr. The AWB has nothing to do with it. Im still trying to figure out if my Chinese SKS can have the bayonet on it. Not really because of looks or anything. Its just the only way the retarded cleaning rod will stay put. I hate having to pick it up off the range in front of the bench when I forget to take it out and leave it on the bench.

(Allegheny County)

My 2-cents;

The C&R SKS guns (supposedly Albanian, Romy, Russkie, Yugo, Sino-Soviet CHICOM SKS) can have their bayos installed as they have C&R status in such a physical config, and so have "protection" from the Bennet/Bush 89-ban.

And you can legally TEMPORARILY remove and reinstall the bayo at will for shooting, cleaning purposes without affecting their C&R status. This point has been beat to death on Yugo SKS discussions boards.

The PERMANANT removal of the bayo DOES alter their physical condition - and doing so voids their protective C&R status that allows the bayo to be installed in the first place.

The everyday generic CHICOM SKS do not have C&R protections as they can not be date-of-mfg proven beyond a reasonable doubt. The possible exception to this is the well-known first-run-of-production Factory triangle-26 Sino-Soviet CHICOM SKS with there unique S/Ns - and Russian historical documentation as proof.

Otherwise, the typical Chinese SKSs can not be 1000% absolutely, positively year-of-mfg dated - despite the "add the year 1956 to the S/N" secret decoder trick you will read about.

Which is why the 99.999% of CHICOM SKS do NOT have the C&R protections to ALWAYS allow their bayo-installed configurations, like a Yugo for example.

All that said about the CHICOM SKSs and their bayos; their real bayo protections stem from the fact that if they had a bayo installed pre-89 Bennet/Bush ban - then it is still legal to keep the bayo installed. (The 89-ban is what did away with flash-hiders and bayo-lugs and PGs on foreign-imported guns, the mag limits came along later.)

And trust me; in the mid-80s, bayo-equipped CHICOM SKSs were everywhere at the gun shows for like $50-$90.00 (and if you paid $90.00 - ya likely got a case of ammo on stripper clips tossed in for free).

THE HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS of CHICOM SKS WERE EVERYWHERE with bayos installed.

If yours is missing the bayo - its likely 'cause someone did a bubba on the SKS. Lets face it; a $50.00 gun that you trip over at every gunshow were treated like $50.00 guns that can be had at any gun show. Who knew it would ever end?

If you must know, you can always TRY and contact the importer - the name of which was stamped on the guns - to nail down the exact import date, but don't count on their generosity to help.

(Allegheny County)

nfafan,

Not to get too far from the OP but along the lines of Chicom SKS mfg date, I read somewhere (warrifles.com or some SKS FAQ articles) that the Chinese type 56 rifles had S/N's which indicated year of mfg. No codes. Straight up year of mfg based on S/N prefaced #'s

Specifically, any rifle in the xxx,xxx range was made in 1956 and every year following 56 was prefaced with another million indicator.

SKS with 1,xxx,xxx was a 1957 rifle. 2,xxx,xxx was built in 58 ,on and on.

I'll see if I can find it

Does anyone know when Bayo's were made illegal to import? I really don't know which law or ban made them illegal to import.(looks like 89)

27hand

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast