Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: trap question

(Schuylkill County)

Default trap question

I'm an avid rifle shooter that's going to be posing as a shotgun shooter once a month shooting trap and such with my Dad. Is there any gear I should be looking at buying that really helps on the firing line (Don't say shotgun that much I figured out for myself ) I'm guessing a shell carrier with a spent cartridge bag ? But is there anything else you know of?

(Luzerne County)

Default Re: trap question

I USE to shoot alot of trap and skeet.... only thing I saw that you didnt mention was a good pair of ear muffs, to prevent hearing loss...
    ....Good luck... and just be safe and HAVE FUN......

Like anything else us gun minded folks do, you could keep your shells in a coat pocket and let your empties lye, or you could go all out and spend about ten million dollars on stuff to not only be more comfortable on the line, but look like a million bucks! My point is, if you are going to be a once a week shooter, maybe get a shell pouch or even a vest and call it a day. You will see what you may or may not want after shooting a few times.
    Jules

The only thing I would say is what kind of gun are you shooting? Pump, break open, or semi? I asked because if you shoot a semi or pump, you run the risk of the ejecting shell hitting the person shooting next to you. some folks will not like this. There is a device out there that will hang up the spent casing in the ejection port on the side of the shotgun, assuming it is a side eject.

I do believe in competition, you will be disqualified of a spent casing hits another shooter.

Good luck, enjoy. I shoot a couple hundred rounds a week!! I love shooting the trees!!! LOL

(Lehigh County)

If you use a semi automatic and don't have a shell catcher on it expect some static from the shooter to your right. Have fun.
    The older I get, the better I used to be.

(York County)

Browning sells a nice shell bag with a divider. One for new shells one for spent. I stick a full box of shells in the side closet to me and put my empties in the other. Bought it years ago and still looks like new. (Good investment). A good set of ear plugs, and a nice fitting gun should get you there. If you ever get a chance to go to a Frank Hoppe Shooting Clinic try it. You shoot a lot and will learn to shoot with both eyes open..
    Good luck

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by 1iarrowking View Post
    If you use a semi automatic and don't have a shell catcher on it expect some static from the shooter to your right. Have fun.
    I prefer the insertable ear protection, eye protection especially on windy days, shell catcher on the semi and of course in this weather, hand warmers. For some reason I always seem to be wearing a hat too. Have fun.

(Chester County)

The main thing in trap is that you are shooting away so a 32" barrel is best.
    This is my trap gun

(Schuylkill County)

I will be using a O/U when I finally acquire one, I kinda figured the other people on the line wouldn't appreciate a semi.

Also on the subject of the gun I know trap guns have 30" barrels but I found a nice one with a 28" on it does the two inches make a lot of difference on a shotgun

(Schuylkill County)

d90king, good God I think you spent more on your gun then I did on my car.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast