Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (York County)

Default serpa holster issue

Hey guys I just recieved my serpa holster for my 1911. However it seems really tight. I've loosen the passive adjustment screw to the point where the screw is so loose it rattles around in the holster. the gun is so tight in the holster that it take a very strong yank to pull it out and it pulls the holster up about 3 inches (my belt is very tight too!). Anyone else experience this? any tips appreciatted. Thanks

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: serpa holster issue

I have a Serpa for my HK USP Compact. It sounds strange that it's that tight. Mine is sized right and not tight at all. My pistol slips in and out like it's buttered. You'll feel a bit of resistance, but not like you describe.

Check on the muzzle end in small print. They put the model that holster is for. Maybe check to make sure you got what you wanted?

i just bought one today for my 1911, slides in and out real nice. the only problem im having is removing the holster from my pant waist, i almost have to drop my pants to remove it. i may remove the little tab that is at the bottom of the paddle on the inside, seems way to tight.
    FJB

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by GuyMontag View Post
    ...Check on the muzzle end in small print. They put the model that holster is for. Maybe check to make sure you got what you wanted?

^ This.

I carry a XD45, 5". It doesn't rattle around in there, but it is anything but tight. It is the easiest to draw and re-holster of any I have ever owned.

Any way you can take it back and try another? Or, if you ordered it online, find one locally to see if it fits better?
    While many claim to support the right, precious few support the practice.

(Tioga County)

I changed mine from a hook to just a little nub. Ia mine has been adjusted to fit tightly to my belt, getting it unhooked from my belt is the hard part. Adjusted that way is really stays put.

Quote Originally Posted by bogey1 View Post
    i just bought one today for my 1911, slides in and out real nice. the only problem im having is removing the holster from my pant waist, i almost have to drop my pants to remove it. i may remove the little tab that is at the bottom of the paddle on the inside, seems way to tight.
    USNRET '61-'81

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
    ^ This.

It doesn't rattle around in there, but it is anything but tight. It is the easiest to draw and re-holster of any I have ever owned.
    ^This.

I have one for my 1911.
    what kind of 1911? I tried one when I had a Wilson KZ45 and the trigger gurad on that model was not in normal 1911 spec and so it didnt fit right.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by bogey1 View Post

+1.

Here is what I did, after putting up with it for about a month...

Wedge something between the paddle (that goes inside your belt/pants) and the rest of the holster. Find something that will withstand a little heat...

I used the owners manual for 2000 Honda Accord!

You basically want to pry the 2 halves apart, just a little, to ease some of that tension.

Here comes the *fun* part...

Pre-heat your oven to 200 degrees. No, I'm not crazy.

Put the whole assembly on a small towel, then on a cookie sheet, put it in the oven for about 10 minutes.

Take it out and run the holster under cool tap water to cool and "set" the plastic to the new "shape".

When I tried this, I had to do it about 6 times to get the right temperature, and to find the perfect "wedge", so plan on taking your time, and work in small increments.

I can tell you that 150 degrees is not enough. I actually had a seperate oven thermometer hanging in the oven to make sure I KNEW what the temp was. Highest I ever saw was 225 degrees, so keep it between 200 - 225.

I thought about using boiling water, wasn't sure how I would control the temp.

The difference is very slight. It goes on and off effortlessly now, but is still impossible to remove without using both hands, know what I mean? It still seems to "lock-on" just fine.

Hope this helps!
    While many claim to support the right, precious few support the practice.

Quote Originally Posted by rwilson452 View Post
    I changed mine from a hook to just a little nub. Ia mine has been adjusted to fit tightly to my belt, getting it unhooked from my belt is the hard part. Adjusted that way is really stays put.
    did you file it down?
    FJB

(York County)

its a firestorm DLX government model. Near as I can tell it is a standard spec 1911

Quote Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
    +1.

Here is what I did, after putting up with it for about a month...

Wedge something between the paddle (that goes inside your belt/pants) and the rest of the holster. Find something that will withstand a little heat...

I used the owners manual for 2000 Honda Accord!

You basically want to pry the 2 halves apart, just a little, to ease some of that tension.

Here comes the *fun* part...

Pre-heat your oven to 200 degrees. No, I'm not crazy.

Put the whole assembly on a small towel, then on a cookie sheet, put it in the oven for about 10 minutes.

Take it out and run the holster under cool tap water to cool and "set" the plastic to the new "shape".

When I tried this, I had to do it about 6 times to get the right temperature, and to find the perfect "wedge", so plan on taking your time, and work in small increments.

I can tell you that 150 degrees is not enough. I actually had a seperate oven thermometer hanging in the oven to make sure I KNEW what the temp was. Highest I ever saw was 225 degrees, so keep it between 200 - 225.

I thought about using boiling water, wasn't sure how I would control the temp.

The difference is very slight. It goes on and off effortlessly now, but is still impossible to remove without using both hands, know what I mean? It still seems to "lock-on" just fine.

Hope this helps!
    i'll give it a shot. thanks.
    FJB

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast