Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Monroe County)

Default Advice to help my girlfriend with semi-auto?

In the mean time I'm just trying to get her familiar with disassembling, assembling, and cleaning my XD until she can go shooting again in june. She seems to be doing very well with everything except racking the slide, or pulling the slide back far enough to push up the stop lever. Do any of you have advice on a technique for her to be able to successfully and repeatedly be able to pull the slide completely back?
    Quote Originally Posted by headcase View Post
    let them eventually bring the FBI to kill my wife and son over fucking chickens....

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Advice to help my girlfriend with semi-auto?

its hard on an XD.
    the G19 racks much easier.
    my wife could not possibly rack the slide when we had an XD. I mean, with great effort and hard work she pull it back, but not with enough force to eject a round. Not well enough to do it if she had to. And not well enough to be able to strip the gun herself, or clear a malf.

technique is great, and proper technique can multipy force, but there is not enough technique in the world that could get me to left up an SUV.

If shes going to carry (IF, not sure where this thread is going) she is going to need a gun she can work herself.

(Adams County)

My wife has a hard time racking the slide on anything. I got a Walther P22 and she can do that, but needs practice. It's a matter of building the hand/finger strength really.

Maybe a revolver is in her future instead?

camper

EDIT--the 22 is just for plinking and practice to get her famliar with shooting...fun little gun though, I have to admit.
    It's the 2nd Amendment that protects all others

(Allegheny County)

i bought my wife a Walther also. she has no problem racking the slide on that. i also have a Sig p232 in .380 that she claims is hers that she can rack the slide easily enough for cleaning/disassembly.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

Where liberty is but a flickering flame in the distance., New Jersey

Go pick up one of those finger strengthening things guitar players use. Or one of those grip strengtheners and have her strengthen her grip. That's the biggest thing I have seen with my wife. She doesn't get a good enough grip on the slide to rack it.

I on the other hand don't get enough time gripping the rack to slide . . . er . . . never mind.

(Washington County)

the XD has front cocking serrations my suggestion is try to get here to use that method where you use the front cocking serrations and push together. Can help a little but if the gun is new it will probably still not be enough.

(Butler County)

Wink Re: Advice to help my girlfriend with semi-auto?

Keep all the contact points well lubricated. I have the XD 4" service in 45ACP, and it requires a drop of oil on all the places the slide rides on the frame. Wipe off the excess. I had my ex racking the slide of that gun and she was a not strong by any stretch of the imagination.

Keeping the gun in firing hand held correctly. Then using the inferior hand over top the gun, thumb facing towards you to rack the slide, is a stronger motion she could try. Its not tactical but it works.

Hope this helps good luck teaching her how to shoot. After all every person who, responsibly picks up a gun, is another brother/sister at arms to defend our life and liberty.
    With Freedom comes Responsibility, accept the Consequences.

Also try to get her to merely hold the top of the slide steady and pushing with the hand thats on the frame away from your body. That seems easier.
    Reputation is what I strive for.

(York County)

A lot of good advice has come your way...heed it.
    My advice follows a couple other posts...build up her arm/hand/finger (grip) strength.
    Hand and grip strength can be improved by squeezing a soft rubber ball. It works great! I did this after a stroke paralyzed my right arm and now the hand strength is back to what is was.
    Also, use the gun as a strengthening exercise tool. The more she racks, the easier it will get.
    A couple weeks of exercising...well, not only will she be able to rack and lock the slide of your XD, she'll be able to kick your ass arm wrestling...
    Last edited by RoyJackson; March 19th, 2009 at 07:01 PM. Reason: corrected spelling

(Bradford County)

http://www.corneredcat.com/RunGun/rack.aspx

Good info from a woman shooter.

Er, woman that shoots? Woman shooter sounds bad...
    Last edited by J Star; March 19th, 2009 at 05:54 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast