Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Philadelphia County)

Default Had a good conversation today

I recently got a promotion at work from hourly to salary. This, coupled with my birthday and tax season has led to me crossing off a lot of buys on my want list. I live in a house with some of my life-long friends, all of which know I carry and shoot. It’s never led to any confrontations.

With all of my recent acquisitions, one of my roommates questioned why I needed so many guns. He’s probably the most outspoken of my roommates on me owning guns… went to a private college, very liberal, you get the point. There was nothing accusatory in his question, he was genuinely curious. So we sat down and I brought out all of the guns I own, granted it’s not many but nevertheless.

I have a personal view on what I own or plan to own. I don’t like redundancy and I like my purchases to fill a role. I have an AR, a shotgun, a nightstand handgun, a medium sized EDC and a smaller CCW for when situations require better concealment. I eventually want to own a Rem700, a wheelgun and a few others. But for all those listed, they fill each main “category” of gun and have different functions. Aside from the fact that I enjoy shooting as a hobby and value guns for self-defense, I really enjoy guns as mechanical devices. Something about many little pieces coming together to form something large and all work in conjunction really speaks to me.

So I explained all of this to him. Showed him a few guns broken down, how all the pieces work and what they do, and he seemed to understand a little better than just “because I can own them”.

While his view certainly isn’t changed, he got a little insight as to why people like and own guns. To me, that’s the largest and hardest part of the fight. Changing people’s idea of who gun owners are. Of course, there are always a subset of people in any group that are the vocal minority that end up being the face of the quiet majority, but educating those who are willing to listen is important. I could have easily read into his question and interpreted it in the wrong way, gotten defensive and lost the opportunity to talk to him.

Moral of the story is to be approachable and engage people without being overbearing. I’ve seen a few people turned off from guns because of the people surrounding them. Gun ranges/stores tend to be one of these places. Guns are an intimidating subject for a lot of people, sometimes they just need a conversation to get them started and engaged. The next time someone asks you about your hobby or your reason for carrying, don’t immediately jump on the defensive. Some people actually like to engage in conversation.
    “Until they become conscious, they will never rebel.” - George Orwell, 1984

(Chester County)

Default Re: Had a good conversation today

Quote Originally Posted by SAB215 View Post
    I don’t like redundancy and I like my purchases to fill a role.
    Agree with that... why have 5, 6, 10... ARs...?

Nice work... ! Now take him to the range and really introduce him to firearms.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by SAB215 View Post
    I recently got a promotion at work from hourly to salary. This, coupled with my birthday and tax season has led to me crossing off a lot of buys on my want list. I live in a house with some of my life-long friends, all of which know I carry and shoot. It’s never led to any confrontations.

With all of my recent acquisitions, one of my roommates questioned why I needed so many guns. He’s probably the most outspoken of my roommates on me owning guns… went to a private college, very liberal, you get the point. There was nothing accusatory in his question, he was genuinely curious. So we sat down and I brought out all of the guns I own, granted it’s not many but nevertheless.

I have a personal view on what I own or plan to own. I don’t like redundancy and I like my purchases to fill a role. I have an AR, a shotgun, a nightstand handgun, a medium sized EDC and a smaller CCW for when situations require better concealment. I eventually want to own a Rem700, a wheelgun and a few others. But for all those listed, they fill each main “category” of gun and have different functions. Aside from the fact that I enjoy shooting as a hobby and value guns for self-defense, I really enjoy guns as mechanical devices. Something about many little pieces coming together to form something large and all work in conjunction really speaks to me.

So I explained all of this to him. Showed him a few guns broken down, how all the pieces work and what they do, and he seemed to understand a little better than just “because I can own them”.

While his view certainly isn’t changed, he got a little insight as to why people like and own guns. To me, that’s the largest and hardest part of the fight. Changing people’s idea of who gun owners are. Of course, there are always a subset of people in any group that are the vocal minority that end up being the face of the quiet majority, but educating those who are willing to listen is important. I could have easily read into his question and interpreted it in the wrong way, gotten defensive and lost the opportunity to talk to him.

Moral of the story is to be approachable and engage people without being overbearing. I’ve seen a few people turned off from guns because of the people surrounding them. Gun ranges/stores tend to be one of these places. Guns are an intimidating subject for a lot of people, sometimes they just need a conversation to get them started and engaged. The next time someone asks you about your hobby or your reason for carrying, don’t immediately jump on the defensive. Some people actually like to engage in conversation.
    It's possible I've become set in my ways (time and circumstance has a way of doing that). I commend you on taking the time to show him some things he's likely never considered. Personally, when I've had so many fools try to take me to task on the subject over so many years, I have an automatic response, which while probably justified and on-target most of the time, isn't terribly helpful on the larger picture. Just that, there's so many idiots trying to justify taking our freedoms based on their silly notions that I tend to go straight for the nuclear option first. Have to give it some thought. Good on you, though.

(Lawrence County)

I guess he never heard of the motherfucking US constitution.

Congratulations on the promotion!

Sounds to me like your room mate is Firearms curious. Since he sat down and talked to you about Guns, strike while the door is open. Offer him a trip to the range. Seize any chance you get to convert a Liberal !
    Aggies Coach Really ??? Take off the tin foil bro.

(Juniata County)

Cool Re: Had a good conversation today

Quote Originally Posted by JAKIII View Post

Because it is night to be able to arm the neighbor's when the need arises.
    "Cives Arma Ferant"

"I know I'm not James Bond, that's why I don't keep a loaded gun under the pillow, or bang Russian spies on a regular basis." - GunLawyer001

(Lebanon County)

I know many who 'standardize' on thier handgun, The philosophy being, if my EDC, or bedside gun is used the cops will most likely take it. Having a back-up leaves me in a possition where I'm not defenseless. Also with standarizing on one, when the stress of having to use it hits, I only have one manual of arms to contend with (where's that safety, how much preassure on the trigger, malfunction drill, etc.).

Same goes if one uses an AR for home defense.

(Allegheny County)

Because one is a general purpose Jack of all trades rifle built for reliability.
    Second is for home defense, shorter barrel, 300 blackout, will suppress stupid quiet and the large bullet is perfect for those ranges.
    Third is a pistol in 300 blackout. Again shorter gun with a round that does well with a short barrel. This gun is great for a truck gun. Can legally keep it loaded and travel across state lines with.
    4th gun. Mich like the first but a scope instead of a red dot for accuracy farther out.
    5th. This is the long range precision build. Unwieldy but for a specific use.
    6th AR this is going to be an exercise into keeping it light.
    7th 8th and 9th AR. Low cost quality clone builds for outfitting whomever i see fit. Range use, classes, etc.
    Number 10 =AR 10!

No i don't own all these... yet. I'm halfway through 5 with some optics, a silencer and a few small things still needed to finish out the previous builds.

And for others you could add in wife's gun, kids gun, military clones....

Point being why should you care what someone else has and for why? You buy what you like, I'll buy what I like.
    "Governments... derive their just powers from the consent of the governed."

(Beaver County)

Different versions for different purposes and it's really fun to assemble them.
    Μολὼν λαβέ
    Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by RaggedEdge View Post
    Point being why should you care what someone else has and for why? You buy what you like, I'll buy what I like.
    Relax, just asking. You want 10+ ARs then carry on...

I have 3 hammers (2 claw and 1 ball-peen) so I get your point. I probably won't be buying a 4th one though...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast