Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Montgomery County)

Default Stolen, Loaded Gun Found In 2nd-Grader's Desk

http://www.wpxi.com/news/18692280/detail.html

PITTSBURGH -- A 9-year-old second-grade student brought a loaded gun to North View Heights Elementary School on Wednesday, according to Pittsburgh Public School spokesperson Ebony Pugh.

Teachers found the weapon in a desk and responded quickly, sharing the information with city police and Children and Youth Families.

According to authorities, the gun, along with four other weapons, was reported stolen from a Rochester, Beaver County, home in November 2008.

Pugh said metal detectors will be put in place at the school on Wednesday. The school's principal spent the day talking to teachers about gun safety and how to handle situations like these.

"That's scary," said parent Kiaonia Smith. "My child goes here."

The student will face disciplinary action with the school.

A letter for parents was sent home with students, detailing the incident.
    Click Here to read the letter.

Pre-kindergarten through fifth-grade students go to North View Heights Elementary.
    Letter sent to parents found here http://www.wpxi.com/news/18692475/detail.html

PITTSBURGH -- Dear Pittsburgh Northview Prek-5 Parents/Guardians,

I regret to inform you that a loaded gun was found in a student's desk today. It was reported by a teacher and appropriate actions were taken. School Police are conducting an investigation of this incident. When the gun was discovered at approximately 9AM, it was secured in my office and School Police were immediately contacted. After ensuring that all students were safe and secure, I spent time this morning talking to the staff and talking to students in each grade level during their lunch about gun safety and the need to report information immediately to any adult in the school community. Once again, students were safe at all times, and I want to personally thank the staff at Northview for their perceptive and quick responses to this situation. Tonight, please take time to reinforce with your child(ren) the need to inform an adult if there is any questionable situation that occurs in school. Please let your child(ren) know that they play a vital role in keeping our school community safe. Starting tomorrow there will be metal detectors in place here at Northview and all children and adults will be required to use the main entrance. If your child is having difficulty with this incident, please let us know so that we may help them through the process. Although this incident was most unfortunate, I hope that everyone will remember that Pittsburgh Northview is a safe school and we continue to keep your child's safety as our utmost concern.

Sincerely,

David May, Principal

(Schuylkill County)

Default Re: Stolen, Loaded Gun Found In 2nd-Grader's Desk

I think there is already a thread on this

http://forum.pafoa.org/lounge-108/48...tml#post609416[/I]

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: Stolen, Loaded Gun Found In 2nd-Grader's Desk

Quote Originally Posted by Coops View Post
    I think there is already a thread on this

http://forum.pafoa.org/lounge-108/48...tml#post609416[/I]
    d'oh! Figured it would be in the news section, didn't see anything so I posted it here...