Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Franklin County)

Default Rabbits and Squirrels

I have some tomato and pepper plants and the damn birds, rabbits and squirrels keep coming up and eating the buds. Is it legal to shoot them even the they are out of season? The birds are obviously fair game, but would the rabbits and squirrels be considered a varmint at this point, or are they stil "protected"?

(Lackawanna County)

Default Re: Rabbits and Squirrels

I'd smoke 'em as long as it's a safe shot (neighbors and such.)
    "Guess what?! I got a fever, and the only prescription... is more cowbell!"

(Delaware County)

Since it is only a "vanity" plot and you are not a farmer, legal it is not. Always invoke the 3S's and if you have one an air rifle would be perfect.

Best regards,
    chalmitch
    "If you believe the term "militia" means the National Guard then you must believe that freedom of speech is reserved for the Government Printing Office." - Some guy, 2/2007

(Franklin County)

Well i'm only using a Crossman 1000 fp/s .177 air rifle I picked up at Gander sometime back, so I'm not using a .22 or .17. It does the trick rather well. As I popped a squirrel today it made me wonder if it was legal or not. I live on an acre of land, so the neighbors usually aren't a problem as I'm shooting down from the deck into the garden. My concern is if someone calls and says "My neighbor is shooting animals"... and a statey shows up to check out whats going on.

(Northampton County)

" One for the rabbit, one for the crow, one for the groundhog and one to grow." - Grand-pop 1966

Never hurts to plant a few extra. =)

Plinkpelletrifleworkstooer
    My dog "Ruger" is worried about the economy because Alpo is up to $3.00 a can. That's almost $21.00 in dog money.

Pray for our troops....and a little extra for our snipers.

(Franklin County)

Dispatching a rabbit or a squirrel with an air gun (even in season and with a hunting license) is a violation of PA Game Laws.

http://www.pgc.state.pa.us/pgc/cwp/v...a=465&q=151336
    Arms and Ammunition

General Statewide Seasons: (1) Manually operated center-fire rifles, handguns and shotguns with all-lead bullet or ball, or a bullet designed to expand on impact; (2) muzzleloading long gun of any type or caliber; and (3) long, recurve or compound bows with a peak draw weight not less than 35 pounds, and crossbows with a draw weight of not less than 125 pounds, and not more than 200 pounds. Bowhunters must use arrows equipped with broadheads having an outside diameter of at least 7/8-inch with no less than two cutting edges, which shall be in the same plane throughout the length of the cutting surface. Crossbow hunters may use bolts tipped with broadheads of cutting edge design. The use of buckshot is illegal, except in the Southeast Special Regulations Area.

Archery Seasons: Long, recurve and compound bows using arrows tipped with broadheads having an outside diameter of at least 7/8-inch with no less than two cutting edges, which shall be in the same plane throughout the length of the cutting surface. Persons hunting deer in archery seasons may not possess a firearm of any type.

Flintlock Muzzleloader Season: Only single-barrel long-guns with a flintlock ignition system are permitted. The firearm must be an original or reproduction of a gun used prior to 1800, which is .44 caliber or larger, with iron, open "V" or notched sights (fiber-optic inserts are permitted). A flintlock ignition system consists of a hammer containing a naturally-occurring stone which is spring-propelled onto an iron or steel frizzen, which, in turn, creates sparks to ignite a gunpowder. Flintlock hand guns are not permitted. Flintlock muzzleloader hunters may use "any single projectile," including sabots, and mini and maxi balls.

Antlerless Muzzleloader Season: Any long gun muzzleloading firearm, including in-line and percussion sporting arms. Use of scopes and other lawful sighting devices is permitted. Fiber optic inserts may be used.

Special Regulations Areas: (all of Allegheny, Bucks, Chester, Delaware, Montgomery and Philadelphia counties) Muzzleloading long guns, bow and arrow, manual or auto-loading shotguns, 20 gauge or larger, slugs or buckshot only; crossbows and .410 shotguns with slugs. Buckshot may not be used in Allegheny County. Only crossbows, bows and arrows are permitted in Philadelphia County. Crossbows may be used in the two-week statewide concurrent antlered and antlerless deer season.

Unlawful Sporting Arms: Automatic and semi-automatic rifles and handguns; and air or gas-operated rifles and handguns.
    Last edited by gnbrotz; June 10th, 2008 at 08:39 PM.
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

(Lycoming County)

Get a cheap paintball gun, even PETA will love ya!

Be safe (and save them for when you may need the)

Scott

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by gnbrotz View Post
    Dispatching a rabbit or a squirrel with an air gun (even in season and with a hunting license) is a violation of PA Game Laws.

http://www.pgc.state.pa.us/pgc/cwp/v...a=465&q=151336
    Yes but thats during regular HUNTING season. And as I am not hunting, It has always been my understanding that anything that is a varmint (ie. anything that is a pest to you, your property, pets or gets into your garbage or garden) is fair game to shoot regardless of caliber or rifle used. I don't think my neighbors would appreciate a .22 going off in the midddle of the afternoon. I'm limited in options here. Hense why I ask.

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by Pro2A View Post
    I'm limited in options here.
    Actually, I don't think you have any legal options with a firearm or air gun. Rabbits and squirrels are "small game" not varmints. If you do what you're doing in season, and with a license, you're only violating one provision by using an air rifle. If you do so out of season, and/or without a hunting license, you're now violating at least three regulations.
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

(Franklin County)

So I just let the destroy my property then? So much for my rights...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast