Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Philadelphia County)

Default So...what can you tell me about the NRA?

I couldn't find a thread on this thru a search so I'm still going to ask. I've never been a member of the NRA and it didn't cross my mind that much until I was issued a PA LTCF when I moved to PA 6 months ago. What are some pros and cons of membership? They seem to fight for 2A rights which is phenomenal but why do they have such a mediocre overall reputation? - even among gun owners. I remember hearing that the president had not renewed his membership sometime back...of course this might as well be a political move. What does the NRA get involved with that have some people questioning its character? I only want to education myself before I send my check for membership. Thank you.
    "What country can preserve it's liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance. Let them take arms." ~ Thomas Jefferson, 1787.
    _
    Sig P226 .40

(Lackawanna County)

Default Re: So...what can you tell me about the NRA?

They do great work for us. My only reason for letting my membership lapse was their constant badgering for more money on top of your membership dues.

(Chester County)

Μολὼν λάβε

(Cumberland County)

The reason the NRA at times only has a "mediocre" reputation is largely due to the fact that their ILA branch has at times advocated laws which compromise gun rights (i.e. the veterans disarmament act was a "compromise" which the NRA approved of). As far as the president not renewing his membership I believe that was Pres. George H.W. Bush, if my memory serves me correctly he did so because of an ad the NRA ran calling for the abolishment of the BATFE. One of the things the NRA has NOT been as tough on as groups like JPFO or GOA is the BATFE abuses, not that they haven't pointed them out but they don't have the record of JPFO or GOA. I was an NRA member, didn't renew, mainly because I was lazy. I still feel the NRA is a great organization but if your primary concern is their political efforts then you would be better served by a less compromising gun lobby such as JPFO or GOA. Remember the majority of what the NRA does has to do with sporting/hunting uses of firearms.
    MOLON LABE

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by FromMyColdDeadHands View Post
    The reason the NRA at times only has a "mediocre" reputation is largely due to the fact that their ILA branch has at times advocated laws which compromise gun rights (i.e. the veterans disarmament act was a "compromise" which the NRA approved of). As far as the president not renewing his membership I believe that was Pres. George H.W. Bush, if my memory serves me correctly he did so because of an ad the NRA ran calling for the abolishment of the BATFE. One of the things the NRA has NOT been as tough on as groups like JPFO or GOA is the BATFE abuses, not that they haven't pointed them out but they don't have the record of JPFO or GOA. I was an NRA member, didn't renew, mainly because I was lazy. I still feel the NRA is a great organization but if your primary concern is their political efforts then you would be better served by a less compromising gun lobby such as JPFO or GOA. Remember the majority of what the NRA does has to do with sporting/hunting uses of firearms.
    Thanks for the info Cold.
    "What country can preserve it's liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance. Let them take arms." ~ Thomas Jefferson, 1787.
    _
    Sig P226 .40

(Allegheny County)

I just recently joined this year after sitting on the sidelines for sometime. Personally, I think the NRA has been over-sensationalized in recent years by those like Michael Moore and made to look like insensitive gun nuts, which is a bit unfair. True, they are a powerful lobby, but such a body is needed to counteract some of the knee-jerk legislation proposed by politicians looking to make a name for themselves in response to recent tragedies involving firearms. It's all too easy for politicians to pull on people's heart-strings on these issues to garner support for legislation that fails to solve the problem and in many cases makes it a whole lot worse (serializing bullets, anyone?). Like it or not, there is a strong contingent in this country that is resolutely against firearms and will stand up against the rights of firearm owners.

The NRA is there to prevent legislation from encroaching upon the rights of responsible firearm owners. You do have to weed through some propaganda at times to get to the crux of the issue, but the organization acts as a good watchdog. I only wish they did more to dispel some of the myths about firearms that people have come to believe as fact...
    - Steve

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson

(York County)

I can tell you that they will never stop asking you for more and more money. For the rest of your life.

BB
    3%

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by Brown-Bear View Post
    I can tell you that they will never stop asking you for more and more money. For the rest of your life.

BB
    hahahah. Do they provide any legal protection if you get in trouble at least?
    _
    Sig P226 .40

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by Brown-Bear View Post

BB
    The same with school taxes and every other tax entity that exists.

(Lehigh County)

There are 70 million gun owners in this country but only 4 million NRA members who are paying the freight to keep the Second Amendment. Without the NRA we'd be just like England. It's true they never stop asking for money but it's a never ending fight and you're not obligated to give. I'm sure that since I have been a member since 1964 I have given more than my share and I will continue. It does piss me off when people that have never pulled their weight bash them. Sometimes they do compromise because they know it's futile not to. A lot of the people on this site that bash them are people who will not compromise on anything even though they have no chance of winning their issue with their all or nothing attitude. There are a lot more non gun owning people than there are gun owners and we need their support or we will loose and to get it sometimes compromise is necessary.

BTW When I joined in 1964 there were only about 800,000 members.
    The older I get, the better I used to be.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast