Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default OC at The Wooden Match

I rarely post about my OC experiences anymore, mostly because there isn't much to report. There have been a few, but nothing worth warming up the keyboard for a full blown story. Today was a little different though.

I was out on some personal business with a good friend of mine over in the Bethlehem area. I was OC as usual, with a Smith and Wesson 325 .45 ACP revolver in a thumb break holster from Simply Rugged holsters in AZ. As we are both cigar smokers, we stopped by Cigars International on 191 just north of Rt 22. While we were there, one of the ladies there encouraged us to try out the Wooden Match, which is a restaurant owned and operated by CI. Since part of the day involved eating lunch somewhere in our travels, we decided to give it a try.

The restaurant is located in the old train station on Lehigh St in Bethlehem. There were a couple of guys on the terrace, and one or two in the building, as well as a few employees. We arrived late for lunch, around 2:00 PM, so there was no crowd. We sat at the bar and talked with the waiter/bartender throughout the meal. The food was excellent. I cannot say much about the atmosphere, since it was nice and quiet. I like quiet, and I am not wild about crowds. I am sure it is quite different on the weekends. But anyway...

As we were getting to the end of the meal, the waiter brought out a T shirt for me to see. On the front it said, "Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms" in a list. The first two were checked (since one can drink and smoke on the premises). Underneath, it says, "Two outta three ain't bad". I commented to the waiter that I also had number three covered.

"Oh, I know!", replied the waiter. He then put the shirt aside and came around the bar to tell us a story.

"When you two guys came in for lunch, there was a guy just leaving. He came over to me and said, 'Do you see that guy there!?! He's wearing a gun! That's against the law for him to come in here with a gun on like that! I know, I own a bar!' I told him he didn't know what he was talking about. So he went over to my manager and complained to him saying the same thing, that you weren't allowed to carry a gun in here. My manager looked right at him and told him, You don't know what you are talking about!"

All this happened as we were coming in the door. We were seated, served, and done with our meal before the waiter even brought it up. I thanked him for his attitude and knowledge of the law. It was not perfect, but he knew enough to know it wasn't a problem for me to carry in there, and both he and the manager shut down the complainer on the spot. I find that attitude to be very refreshing, and right in line what I have experienced at the store on Rt 191, where I have been OC every time I have been in there, and where we even had a small OC gathering a few months ago.

So, if you like good food, good cigars, and like to carry while eating and smoking, this may be a good place for you. If I were to venture into a crowded venue on a weekend night (for example) I would very likely conceal. I am an ardent supporter of OC, but in crowds where the press is going to be close, it is too hard to maintain proper SA, at least as far as I am concerned. These folks will be seeing more of my business.

(Northampton County)

Default Re: OC at The Wooden Match

I knew I loved that place. I've been there before. Great place, great ciagrs, great beer selection, and the food is killer. Definently going to give them repeat business.
    Popichak is probably trolling this for his next story...

(York County)

Its a shame I live so far away, sounds like a great place.

(Allegheny County)

Rep sent. It's to far for me to patronize but by bringing OC friendly places (Restaurants, Stores etc.) to the forum, we can support those places as much as they support us.

(Monroe County)

That's great news Pennsy. I've been to the location on 191 many times and I have wanted to try out the Wooden Match.

I'm absolutely going to give them more of my business.

I walk the tow path there frequently. I like cigars. I like beer. I like food.

Hmmmm.... Sounds like I *really* need to stop in.
    Help us restore election integrity in PA. Join PA Voters United

(Luzerne County)

I will make it a point to visit next time I am down that way.

(Allegheny County)

That story really makes me want a cigar. I think an after work stogie is on the docket.

Too bad i live too far away to patron The Wooden Match. Sounds nice.

(Lehigh County)

It would be nice to know what bar the complainer owns to make sure we avoid it.
    The last thing I want to do is hurt you... but believe me, it's on the damned list.

(Monroe County)

One more reason to go back to that awsome place.
    Owner Trigger Time LLc 01 FFL/NFA Saylorsburg, PA. Sales/Service/Transfers/Training
    NRA CRSO/Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun inst. BSA Rifle/Shotgun Merit badge counselor. US Navy Marksmanship Team Staff

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast