Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Susquehanna County)

Default "Kentucky rifle"

I'm watching something on TV about the Kentucky rifle. I'm 99% sure that the Kentucky rifle is also known as the Pennsylvania rifle. Either way, it was designed in Monroe County, PA (wahoo).

1). Why is it called the Kentucky rifle?

2). How much is an authentic rifle going for?

3). Was it really designed in Monroe County??

4). This rifle was common in the Revolutionary war, correct?
    Last edited by pandemic; December 17th, 2009 at 12:44 AM.

Default Re: "Kentucky rifle"

Quote Originally Posted by mchaley View Post
    I'm watching something on TV about the Kentucky rifle. I'm 99% sure that the Kentucky rifle is also known as the Pennsylvania rifle. Either way, it was designed in Monroe County, PA (wahoo).

As far as I know, it originated in the Appalachian region of VA and parts of PA. It came from the German Jaeger and it was developed for frontier use because they wanted greater accuracy. The longer barrels and rifling fit the bill.

The British called them "widowmakers" because they had excellent long range capabilities and were used in guerilla warfare tactics by riflemen. Most of the weapons used back then were smooth bore muskets, but getting hit by a .75 ball from a Brown Bess would ruin your day as well.

I think the War of 1812 gave them the name "Kentucky Rifle" because Kentuckians made them famous with their marksmanship.

Take a look at a Tennessee mountain rifle if you want to see a good utilitarian version of the long rifle. Iron furniture, plain lines, and just a good general overall feel to it.

They generally are called Pennsylvania rifles if we want to be correct. The master gunsmiths from PA put out some very fine rifles. I don't even want to think what authentic PA rifles go for. They're expensive, but they're works of art.

Now look what you did. I'll have to pull my long rifle down from the wall and go burn some black powder.
    Last edited by Halftrack; December 17th, 2009 at 07:22 AM.
    The real answer is 42.

If you have a hankering to learn more about muzzleloaders, check out the Pennsylvania Longrifle Museum at Jacobsburg. It is outside Nazareth off of RT 33. This is on the old Henry family homestead. In addition, there is some great hiking, biking, horseback riding, hunting, birdwatching, and getting away from the rat race areas there that are open.

They host a number of events including some living reenactments. There are a number of very knowledgeable people there that will share and past on their knowledge. I have learned alot going to the events.

The web site is www.jacobsburg.org. It is worth the ride.

(Berks County)

Last edited by twoeggsup; December 17th, 2009 at 09:26 AM.

(Lackawanna County)

Most 'Kentucky' Rifles were actually Lancaster County Rifles.
    "...a REPUBLIC, if you can keep it."

There's too much in this topic for a single post, so there are the highlights:

Mostly because of folks spouting screed like this.
    The fact that I was born and raised in Kentucky, and reside there today, in no way influences my opinion on this subject. Not one bit.
    Impossible to say, as each rifle was a one-of-a-kind. Unlike today's consistent-mass produced arms, it isn't possible to develop a price matrix based on condition & accessories. The price for one won't have much, if any, influence on the selling price of another. So, each rifle is determined by the local conditions more than other collectibles. Know this: it will be very expensive if all original, particularly with provenance.

Have you considered a reproduction? This will have the added plus of having an arm that's safe to shoot, thus gaining hands-on experience.

Check out http://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/ sometime. There's tons of folks over there that can answer all your questions in detail.

The PA Rifle was an evolutionary process, not a single arm. It appears that it started in Lancaster County, and the idea spread west, south and north as the concept evolved. Most of that basic development happened here in Pennsylvania. It was almost a finished design by the time the pattern took root in other regions of the US.

Not as much as you might suspect. The most common weapon was the trade musket, or "fowler". Sometime people had military surplus muskets, but these bedraggled arms were thrice-removed from frontline service and were one or two engagements away from the scrap pile.

Rifles were extremely expensive to make, and required extraordinarily talented gunsmiths. By today's standards, it would be about the same a buying a new car cost-wise. It cost about 3 to 5 months wages and took about as long. Fast-forward to today, for someone earning $50,000 annually, this would mean buying a gun that cost about $20,000 after a 2-6 month wait. A modern repro made by a gunsmith (example- Bill Shipman) is usually about $5000, a factory made repro can be found for under $700. You do the math.

England took a very dim view on any activity that had even a whiff of higher civilized function over here. To England, we were a resource, like a diamond mine manned by underage miners. Motto=Shut & dig. The colonies weren't permitted to print currency and engage in certain type of manufacture, particularly if it was competitive with England or could be a threat. Rifles were probably ignored since they weren't taken seriously by the crown before Saratoga, and by then it was too late.

Also note that the Pennsylvania rifle prior to and during the revolution (sometimes abbreviated "ARW") was very plain, almost austere in appearance. They were all about business, not looks. The ornate, flowing rifle with double (set) triggers were made in the golden age following the end of hostilities with England.

Example of a modern reproduction Pennsylvania rifle:
    -- -- -- -- -- --
    Gloria: "65 percent of the people murdered in the last 10 years were killed by hand guns"
    Archie Bunker: "would it make you feel better, little girl, if they was pushed outta windows?"

http://www.moviewavs.com/TV_Shows/Al...he_Family.html