Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kramer Leather

(Allegheny County)

Default Kramer Leather

Hey all,

I just picked up my CCW License earlier this week, and have been researching holsters. I've heard many good things about Kramer from this site and others, but I found that their pictures are a little lacking on the website.

Can anyone recommend which color they favor for a leather holster? Pics would be great! I was looking into getting the MSP Paddle.

Thanks!

Eric

(Elk County)

Default Re: Kramer Leather

Welcome aboard!

Kramer makes EXCELLENT leathergoods, and IMO well worth the price.

I got a pretty good pic of the MSP from the Kramer site by clicking on the thumbnails and then on the "Click for zoom view" under the image that came up:

Link for MSP Paddle photo (Maximize the window for full size):

http://www.kramerleather.com/images/...TER_COW_LG.jpg

My personal preference is for "scabbard"or "pancake" style belt holsters as opposed to paddle holsters. To me, the paddles generally seem to hold the holster farther away from the body, whereas the scabbard/pancake type tend to tuck closer to the body. That's a general statement, and I'm sure there are exceptions to it where some paddle holster models by some manufacturers fit close to the body. I've tried enough paddles to know that I don't prefer them. Another reason I don't like paddles is that the paddle tends to be uncomfortable while seated. I had two paddles which I used daily for a while and then gravitated to the scabbard type, where I've been since.

I have two Kramer scabbards for full-size autos and a Kramer pocket holster for my Model 60 Chiefs Special. I am extremely pleased with the quality of materials and construction for all of them.

Kramer's Scabbard photo link:

http://www.kramerleather.com/images/...TER_COW_LG.jpg

For color, my preference is black if cordovan (dark reddish brown) is not a choice. Black goes with anything, IMO.

MAKE SURE you get a quality-made STIFF belt to support the holster, especially if the holster is to be supported by slots or loops. Flimsy belts that readily "buckle"or fold over are not good for holster support; the holster will tend to tip outward at the top on a flimsy belt.

Hope this helps,

Noah

(Montgomery County)

I also have a Kramer cross draw belt holster (not a pancake, but one with only belt holes cut in it) for my Detective Special. It's much better for concealment than my Galco holster that I sometimes wear. It's very comfortable and holds the gun secure without any retention straps or devices. The color is a very nice brown/tan. I have no problems at all recommending them.

(Centre County)

I have the IWB Belt clip in black and it is a great holster. not too expensive but took a few weeks. i want to get one of the scabbards as well. also in black most likely.

(Bucks County)

If you go with Kramer, pay the extra to get horsehide -- it's really their specialty, and their horsehide holsters are as indestructible as iron...kind of like combining the best features of leather and kydex in one.

Smile Kramer Leather

I have a yard leaf bag of holsters. Started the collection over 40 years ago. Kramer horsehide #3 is now the only holsters I use. I have several of them for different pistols. I've taken naps laying on the holster and do a one hand reholster when I wake. They don't absorb moisture and lose shape so are excellent for IWB. Not in any way infering other manufactures do not have excellent products, it is just when I started using kramer holsters, I stopped looking.

(Allegheny County)

Thanks for the all the replies, that's a lot of good info!

I've heard that their horsehide belt is half the equation, will be picking up one of those as well.

Does anyone have pics of either of the tan or mahogany? Would just like to see what they look like in real life before making a decision.

Thanks again!

Eric

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by EricwH View Post
    I've heard that their horsehide belt is half the equation, will be picking up one of those as well.
    Having A good gunbelt is indeed half the equation. Horsehide belts will be stiffer, but any good double-thickness cowhide gun belt will work too, unless you're looking to carry a ridiculously heavy gun.

I say this because Kramer horsehide belts, while undoubtedly nice, are wicked expensive. Beltman horsehide belts will be probably just as good, maybe better, and a lot less $$:

http://www.thebeltman.net/

Of course you do get some break on S&H if you buy belt and holster from the same place...
    Last edited by dgg9; September 24th, 2009 at 02:02 PM.

Cool Re: Kramer Leather

That style is over 35 years old and very dated and grossly overpriced. Look for something modern using some of the new high tech polymer paddles.

(Chester County)

I have a Kramer and I love it!!!!!! I have mine in Black, an excellent holster indeed. My only problem is having to open your belt to get the damn thing off.

When injustice becomes law, rebellion becomes duty!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast