Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Lebanon County)

Default I'm looking to buy a Mosin...advice

I just recently decided to begin purchasing some guns. While at a local gun store (Enck's in Newmanstown) I saw some Mosins for between 80 and 125 dollars. From what I see from reading around is that most people like them a lot. I think the ones at the shop were imported by Century Arms. I'm just wondering.
    1-Does Century just import authentic rifles or do they make replicas?
    2-What should I look for to determine whether it's a sound investment?
    and
    3-None of them had scopes on them, is it possible to mount one on yourself?

I'm new on here and this is my first post so any help would be much appreciated.

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: I'm looking to buy a Mosin...advice

(Bucks County)

Lots of Mosin threads lately. Guess the "secret" is out.

-Zach

(Berks County)

First off.......Welcome to the PAFOA!

How is Bob?!! I haven't been over to Enck's in a while, he has mosins again? Hmmmm.

These are imported original rifles.

Considering the price (cheap) and cost of ammo (also cheap) you can shoot the hell out of it and have a lot of fun. As far as an investment? It was made by the millions, keep it it good shape and it will always be worth at least what you paid for it. check to make sure the bore is good and the chamber, see that the bolt operates smooth.

Sure, with enough money you can do anything!

I would recommend going over to 762x54.net for general info..and they have a forum, but they don't let you talk about modifying Mosins.

Go here: http://7.62x54r.net/

You can check out a decent thread here on scoping a Mosin at the gun and game forum. Good discussion with links to parts needed etc.

http://www.gunandgame.com/forums/mos...in-nagant.html

Good luck.
    "Disperse you Rebels! Damn you! Throw down your Arms and Disperse!" British Major Pitcairn at Lexington April 19, 1775

"Sometimes reasonable men must do unreasonable things" Marvin Heemeyer

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by ssnyder87 View Post
    I just recently decided to begin purchasing some guns. While at a local gun store (Enck's in Newmanstown) I saw some Mosins for between 80 and 125 dollars. From what I see from reading around is that most people like them a lot. I think the ones at the shop were imported by Century Arms. I'm just wondering.
    and

I'm new on here and this is my first post so any help would be much appreciated.
    Come out to Bob's on a Thursday night. It's "Mil Surp" Night for a bunch of guys. We hang out and talk and buy stuff if we need it. There are a few nagant collectors there and they can help point you in the right direction on what to look for and what rifle there might be the best one for you. We'll be there tonight.

-Scott

(Lebanon County)

I'll be going there tonight. Hopefully I don't inconvenience Bob. I've read the thread about the shop. Mostly positive things, but a few guys said he can get irritated at times. He said he could adjust my rear side on my G17, and that I should come during the day so we can test it out back. I hope he holds true to that.
    Some say that his discharge is luminous.

(Lebanon County)

perhaps I'll come out tonight. Thanks

(Allegheny County)

Talking Re: I'm looking to buy a Mosin...advice

what kind of mosin nagant? m-44- 91/30? when you buy one! the disease will control you!

Quote Originally Posted by ssnyder87 View Post
    and

1. Century imports Mosins only. Counterfeiting Mosins isn't worth the trouble, sort of like forging pennies from pure copper.
    2. Read: http://forum.pafoa.org/rifles-42/68342-buying-mosin.html and particularly this The cost of a garden variety Mosin doesn't entail much of an outlay, so you aren't risking much. As far as "sound investment", if it's value drops to zero (unlikely) you're out about $100. I select all matching numbers and no counterbore, which will sell for a little more to collectors. The Finnish M39 had the sharpest increase value-wise, and they are among the most accurate Mosins. They originally came into the US for about $40-$50 each when bought in lots of six or more. Now they command prices in the low hundreds, more if in pristine condition.

Finn Model M39. Note modern semi pistol-grip style stock.
    In my humble opinion, we're in a similar situation with military bolt guns as we were in the late 1940s. Back then it was German rifles for sale cheap by the barrel. When the supply dryed up, prices spiked. Now it's the trappings of the Cold War for sale. Just about any decent Mosin will remain fairly flat in resale value as long as the steady stream of surplus Mosins continues from Russia. Despite appearances, there is a finite number of Mosins, so when the last load of Mosins arrives, watch for prices to skyrocket overnight. Summary: buy low, sell high.
    3. Possible, yes. The easiest approach is a replacement rear sight mount, which results in a a scout rifle-like setup. The original mount attaches to the side of the receiver, and is beyond the capability of most gun owners. There are several businesses and individuals "recommissioning" ex-snipers, and "recommissioned" sniper 91/30 rifles are available through surplus channels for about $450. There are several pictures of original Mosin mounts in another thread here. Click the image below to see Classic's ad for scoped Mosin 91/30s.

Scoped Model 1891/30. Click image to view source.

Since you're new, I will pass along a couple of observations. Mosins are very old architecture. They use a split-bridge receiver like most of the contemporary rifles made in the same time as the Mosin design. The contemporaries to the Mosin was the German 88 (that's 88 as in 1888...) Commission Rifle, the Italian Carcano and a few others. Most had split bridge receivers, which was the design convention in that time. Wah separates the Mosin is the Mosin remained in production well into the 1950s and remains in service today. This design puts the bolt handle a little further forward than newer designs, so it's necessary to reach a little further forward with a Mosin than most other rifles.

Also, Mosins fire a full-size rifle cartridge, placing it approximately in the same general class as a 30-06 noise and recoil-wise.

Warning: these rifles are habit-forming and tend to multiply. Fast.

Gloria: "65 percent of the people murdered in the last 10 years were killed by hand guns"
    Archie Bunker: "would it make you feel better, little girl, if they was pushed outta windows?"

http://www.moviewavs.com/TV_Shows/Al...he_Family.html

(Philadelphia County)

I just bought my first one the other day, but have fired a mosin in the past. They're fun little portable cannons IMO, cheap to buy, cheap to shoot and quite impressive in terms of BOOMage. Many of us like them as you can be satisfied with fewer rounds out of the mosin than out of other rifles. Personally, about a box through a mosin and I've had my fill of rifles for the day :P
    Just because 'perfect' is impossible does not mean we should settle for 'broken'.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast