Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Chester County)

Default Timing question on revolver

Hey guys, i was trading in my 38 spl revolver for a semi auto when the gun dealer said they could not take the revolver. When I asked why they said timing was way off. The semi auto I wanted there was cheap (to me) anyways so I just ended up keeping my revolver and buying the semi auto. Depending where I am carrying cc is depending what gun I use. I train vigorously with them both now. but back to the point, the dealer said timing was off. so i first dry fired gun in DA very slowly (UNLOADED OF COURSE), and the chamber locked up nicely to where the bullets seat. i then did it again in single action and yet again locked up great. I have shot probably 200 rounds through it with moderate accuracy. I would say 3-4" groupings at 12-15 yards. not a tack diver but not too shabby in my book. the only thing i can possibly notice is when everything is locked up the cylinder moves MAYBE a cm in either direction but not big wiggle. so my question is do you guys think the timing is fine and they just didnt want to take the gun so i could pay full price up front for my semi auto? is there something i am missing with checking the timing? also the dealer said they would not carry the full 5 rounds and rest the hammer on an empty chamber???

***in the end though I am happy i do have a revolver and a semi auto for carry. each definitely serves its purpose

(Butler County)

Default Re: Timing question on revolver

If the cylinder moves a cm (centimeter) you got a problem. Big problem. I wouldn't shoot it again until it was checked by a reputable gun smith.

(York County)

The OP probably means mm (millimeter: .03937") rather then cm (centimeter: .3937" or > 3/8th's of an inch). Even a millimeter seems like a lot (to me, anyway).
    The OP could run a cylinder full of rounds through it and looks at the firing pin marks on the empty cases. They should be considerably off center...also, if the timing is off, it may be spitting lead. So, wear safety glasses.

Either way, it's probably advisable to take the gun to a smith for a checkout.

What brand revolver is this, anyway? Just curious...
    Well, pushed 60 too hard so now I am the big SIX-OH. Now I can be a real pain in the ass! And, who says growin' old isn't fun!!

(Chester County)

It is a rossi. And knowing a bit about guns myself i looked at the spent cases already. It's perfectly center. And the chamber matches up into the barrel on every one. Guess it cant hurt tho to take it to a gunsmith

(Lebanon County)

give it the "revolver test".....google it. it normally is the first thing on page one.
    they probably did'nt want it...let's face it, rossi's are not at the top of the pile.
    it's only metal, we can out think it....

(Centre County)

Several things you can do.

Pull the hammer back (SA style). Watch the cylinder, it should "click" into place at the same time the hammer is back the whole way. Try to turn the cylinder. If it moves a little and "clicks" into battery, then you a a bit of a timing problem. A gunsmith can fix this if you think it's worth it.

Next, with the hammer all the way back, hold the hammer and pull the trigger. Then try to move the cylinder. It should not turn any except the very small amount that is the width of the notch on the cytlinder. If you can turn the cylinder that is not good, take it to a gunsmith for evaluation.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Butler County)

Kind of a bait and switch on the gun shops part. He waited till you swallowed the hook on the semi then found something wrong with your revolver. Maybe there is something wrong with it, but I'm thinking he didn't want a Rossi. Not enough resale demand like a Colt or S&W. What kind of semi did you end up with?

(Chester County)

I ended up with a bersa thunder. A friend of mine has one and shoots great, very reliable and feels great in my hand. it is my main carry piece now. now just to find the ammo....