Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Monroe County)

Default AR-15 build issues,need some advice.

I need some help with my AR build,ok i got a DEL-TON M4 kit for X-mas and i used a DPMS lower,everything looked great and went together smooth except when i put the selector switch in the lower,it was tight getting past the the back flat square section of the trigger,it is like the floor of the lower reciever is too high or the trigger pin hole is too low,or maybe the rear square section of the trigger is too thick,i don't know im just guessing,anyway it went together without beating or forcing anything,i watched a couple of ar lower build videos and the selectors all went right in without any resistance,so i just went to the range and sometimes you pull the trigger and the round goes off the spent shell ejects and another round loads in the chamber....but the trigger feels like the safety is on ,but if i move the selector the next round goes off when i pull the trigger and the spent shell extracts perfect and another round loads,but i have to move the selector switch from on to off back to on again most every shot,ok so here is my question what do you guys think? lower parts kit ? lower reciever? i am going to call delton and DPMS next week after the holidays,but i just wanted to get your opinion first in the meantime.......thanks in advance...fred

(Bucks County)

Default Re: AR-15 build issues,need some advice.

When the selector is in the 'safe' position, the rear of the trigger bears against the round body of the safety. When the safety is moved to 'fire', a cut in the safety is exposed, allowing the rear of the trigger to pivot upward far enough to release the hammer.

It sounds like the trigger and safety in your build need to be fitted. Not difficult at all to do. Paint the portion of the parts to be fitted with dykum or a sharpie and proceed with care. I would use stones only on it, it sounds like it's almost there.

A file or a dremel will cut too much too quickly. If you don't feel comfortable doing it yourself, I will fit it for you. My turn around time is 2 weeks or less.

Sean

(Monroe County)

thanks for the reply sean,I just took it apart and stripped the lower,after close inspection of the trigger it is hitting the lower reciever in the very front of the trigger opening just above where your finger goes, i put just the trigger in the lower and when i put the pin in i have to slide the trigger forward and up,this causes the rear upper part of the trigger to slightly block the selector from being put in, here is a question for AR15 tech guys,in a perfect ar15 does the trigger touch the front opening of the lower reciever at the front of the trigger hole? mine does and thats causing the interference with the safety selector, being that a new trigger is only $15 i will clean up the front radius of the trigger where it hits the lower opening (i dont want to start cutting on my new DPMS lower just yet) and go back to the range and if that does it, i will then open up the front of the trigger hole in the lower and just buy a new trigger. thanks....fred
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by freddy g; December 27th, 2009 at 12:34 PM.

(Bucks County)

Hi Fred-
    The trigger should not touch the lower where you describe. The trigger should only touch the lower in 2 places -at the bosses on either side of the trigger pin hole.

The safety/selector, spring, detent and pistol grip get installed first. Then assemble the trigger, trigger spring,disconnector and spring and install them as a unit- put the selector to fire, drop the trigger assembly in and rock it forward then back while pressing down to get the trigger under the safety body.

You are wise not to do any cutting on the lower, the aluminum under the finish is butter soft and will be unprotected.

(Monroe County)

thanks for the replys,i took it apart and inspected everything the trigger was touching a tiny burr at the front of the trigger slot in the lower reciever,i just cleaned it up with a tiny rounf file ,then touched it up with some matte black paint with a Q-tip and it looked perfect then off to the range, just got back and it works great! thanks ....fred