http://www.philly.com/philly/news/br...wn_murder.html

Philadelphia man charged in Norristown murder
By Derrick Nunnally

INQUIRER STAFF WRITER

A 21-year-old man from the Fairhill section of Philadelphia has been charged with first-degree murder in a slaying last night in Norristown.

Ryan Starling, of the 2600 block of N. 7th Street, allegedly shot Lawrence Stevenson in the back outside the Curren Terrace Apartments on New Hope Street in Norristown at about 9:45 p.m., the Montgomery County District Attorney's office said today in a statement.

Stevenson, whose age was not cited in court records, was pronounced dead last night at Montgomery Hospital.

Police found Starling in a nearby parking lot, sweating profusely despite the frigid weather, and in possession of three baggies of cocaine, the statement said. Witnesses also told police that they had seen Starling fleeing the murder scene, the statement said.

Starling is to be arraigned this afternoon before Magisterial District Judge Francis Lawrence Jr.

I'm happy I wasn't home at the time, but this happened about 200ft from my front door. I hadn't even heard about it until I was out walking my dog and my neighbor told me. I'm unable to find out if the deceased lived in the complex, or was just behind the dumpster in order to do some off peak pharmaceutical sales.

My neighbor asked me about my sidearm, so naturally he got a pamphlet, a spare safety DVD and an open invitation to talk about firearms whenever we are both out an about. (we tend to run our dogs at the same times). The only thing I stressed is to look at this event for what it is, think it out and to not have a knee jerk reaction. This apartment complex is usually very quiet and well maintained, I'd hate to see someone haul ass out of here with little thought.

I'm hoping to have a tag along to French Creek sometime in the near future.