Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Lehigh County)

Default Ruger SA transfer bar

Ruger New model Blackhawk.
    I've read the description in the manual, but I'm thick.
    Does anyone know if the transfer bar prevents firing a round by accident with the hammer un-cocked?
    They show an illustration with the hammer cocked and the transfer bar is up on the firing pin. How does it drop down after firing? First it's thyere, then it's down.
    Why do people object to the new model which has this safety feature? I don't get it.

(Jefferson County)

Default Re: Ruger SA transfer bar

It drops when you let off the trigger after you've pulled it. By the time you let off the trigger, the hammer and transfer bar have delivered their energy to the in-frame firing pin.

Purists like the original style with firing pin on the hammer. The "big" Rugers(Super Blackhawk, Blackhawk, Bisley's, and Vaquero's) have had transfer bars for a long long long time. When Ruger decided to make the "New Vaquero" to more resemble the old Colt SAA in form and size, they decided to also use a transfer bar for safety and liability sakes.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515, SteveWag

Don't end up in my signature!

(York County)

Per the Blackhawk instruction manual:
    The patented Ruger New Model single action revolver mechanism incorporates a transfer bar. The transfer bar – which is raised into firing position as the trigger is pulled to the rear – transmits the energy of the hammer blow to the firing pin.
    This transfer bar mechanism makes a “safety” notch unnecessary.

So, the revolver will not fire unless the trigger is fully depressed. To decock (or "un-cock" it, as you wrote) the gun:
    Place your right thumb firmly on the hammer spur and, with your thumb
    securely in control of the hammer, squeeze the trigger only enough to permit
    the hammer to ‘break free’ of the trigger. At that instant, IMMEDIATELY
    RELEASE THE TRIGGER and then slowly permit the hammer, STILL SECURE
    UNDER YOUR THUMB, to move fully forward to its resting position against
    the frame.
    NOTE: It is imperative that finger pressure be removed from the trigger just as soon as it is free of the hammer. Then, properly, the trigger andhammer will move towards their fully forward rest positions together

If you are a bit concerned about decocking, put a piece of cardboard or something (fingertip) between the hammer and frame. Definitely practice decocking with an unloaded gun to get the hang of it.

I had a negligient discharge decocking a gun (not a Blackhawk..it was a Colt 1911), so it's something that does require care.
    Well, pushed 60 too hard so now I am the big SIX-OH. Now I can be a real pain in the ass! And, who says growin' old isn't fun!!

(Lehigh County)

Thanks for the help.
    I was wondering if striking the de-cocked hammer fires a chambered round (ie. concealed carry). What safety feature prevents this on the LCR ?

(Allegheny County)

Why do people object to the new model which has this safety feature? I don't get it.
    Some say the trigger pull on the Old Model Black is better. This is because the trigger does not have to lift/hold the transfer bar even a little bit. As a side note, if you have an Old Model (commonly referred to as a three screw) and send it to Ruger for anything, it will come back with a transfer bar and a greatly reduced collector value.
    The Lord Bless You

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by Celt View Post
    Thanks for the help.
    I was wondering if striking the de-cocked hammer fires a chambered round (ie. concealed carry). What safety feature prevents this on the LCR ?
    Same transfer bar as the Blackhawk. The transfer bar must be between the hammer and firing pin to fire the round. Along as that trigger is not pulled, the transfer bar is out of firing position and the hammer cannot strike the firing pin. To simplify, there is a gap between the hammer and firing pin at all times. The momentum of the hammer cannot be transferred to the firing pin directly. The transfer bar fills that gap when the trigger is pulled and transfers the momentum (hence the name, "transfer bar").
    There is a bit more linkage (part of the trigger), but that should give you the concept behind transfer bars.
    So, even with the hammer down on a live round, the revolver cannot fire as the transfer bar is not in position.

BTW, the LCR does not have an exposed hammer.
    Last edited by RoyJackson; December 24th, 2009 at 02:52 PM.
    Well, pushed 60 too hard so now I am the big SIX-OH. Now I can be a real pain in the ass! And, who says growin' old isn't fun!!

(Lehigh County)

Thanks, RJ, I've owned the new model for 30 years (mostly hiding in the closet) and never understood the transfer bar.
    The LCR is my next choice partly for CC and mostly because .38 ammo is easier to find than .380.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by Celt View Post
    Thanks, RJ, I've owned the new model for 30 years (mostly hiding in the closet) and never understood the transfer bar.
    The LCR is my next choice partly for CC and mostly because .38 ammo is easier to find than .380.
    Glad to be of help!
    You oughta be shooting the Blackhawk! I just got into SA guns in 2009 (Blackhawk Convertable .45/.45ACP) and a .357 Mag New Vaquero) and they're fun!
    I've handled the LCR. Looks like a nice gun. I have two nice little Taurus snubbies (had 'em for years) which satisfy my snubby needs/requirements, so an LCR is not in my plans...but it sure looks and feels nice. It'll make a great pocket pistol.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by 41 Redhawk View Post
    send it to Ruger for anything, it will come back with a transfer bar and a greatly reduced collector value.
    They're supposed to send the original parts back with the gun.

(Lehigh County)

I did when I bought it, then lost interest.
    A 6 1/2" barrel is kinda hard to CC.
    Believe it or not, I was persuaded to buy in 1978 by a friend who said that the gov't was going to take our guns. It's only been recently that I could ever imagine that could be possible.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast