Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default pistols for left handers

are they any pistols out there for left handers? i know charter make a left handed revolver but what about semi autos? i also know beretta , walther and springfield have ambidextrous mag release and safty. what about glock do they offer it? i really wanted a G33...i am ok with the gun discharging the empty shells out the right side of the gun i would just like the safty and mag release to be on the right side as well....

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: pistols for left handers

There's a bunch out there.

HK has mag release under the trigger guard and the safety can be switched.
    Glock now has ambi mag releases
    I believe the XDm has ambi mag releases
    the M&P release can be switched.

I'm sure the list goes on

Quote Originally Posted by scarecrow View Post
    are they any pistols out there for left handers? i know charter make a left handed revolver but what about semi autos? i also know beretta , walther and springfield have ambidextrous mag release and safty. what about glock do they offer it? i really wanted a G33...i am ok with the gun discharging the empty shells out the right side of the gun i would just like the safty and mag release to be on the right side as well....
    The SIG 250 is supposed to be entirely switchable from one side to the other, all the controls, although I don't hear universally glowing reviews of the pistol.

The HK45 and HK45C come with ambidextrous magazine drop levers and slide releases, and the decocker/safety can be moved from the left side of the slide to the right side by an armorer.

The Walther P99 is another option, although the decocker isn't on the right side for a lefty to easily manipulate, and the slide drop does require a reach-under maneuver.

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by GuyMontag View Post
    I believe the XDm has ambi mag releases
    Confirmed on the XDM.
    Your freedom to be you includes my freedom to be free from you. -Andrew Wilkow

As far as Glocks go there is no safety on the left side because there is no safety other than the trigger bump thingmajig. If I remember correctly Mr. Browning was a lefty. I know there are left handed guns but have you tried operating a "standard" with your left? I practice weak hand for when I'm in a knock down drag out life or death situation so I know I can drop a mag with my left index when holding it with my left hand. Slide release isn't hard with a little practice if you get the extended. I've practiced with both a Glock 34 and 1911. Safety was tough lefty on the 1911 because it is on the left due to laser grips. If you have an ambi safety on a 1911 it should not be an issue. My Bro has an HK P7 where the mag release is on the magwell of the firearm. The technical term escapes me right now. Squeeze cock negates a manual safety aswell so you might find that to your liking.

(Montgomery County)

i guess i could have been more specific. i am looking for sub compact in 9mm. i was looking at the G33 which is 357sig and then i was gonna order the 9mm barrel and 9mm mags for it. i would carry it as a 357 but not all the time i liked the option to change between the 2 rounds with 1 gun...but the lefty thing is keeping me from commeting to it.

Is this your first Glock? You should be able to operate the Glock with a bit of practice unless you have big hands or low dexterity. I'm using the term "race frame" loosely but you may want to contact some makers like Lone Wolf or visit their site to see if they make a lefty. You are kinda like the Apple of the gun world as only 6% of the population is lefty.

(Philadelphia County)

I think I remember holding a Bersa that had left-handed controls, but that was some time ago......

I own a Glock 30 and shoot left-handed...I have no real problems dropping the mag or releasing the slide with the left hand, it just takes a bit of practice.

(Lebanon County)

I have the M&P Compact 9, set up left handed.

Quote Originally Posted by scarecrow View Post
    i guess i could have been more specific. i am looking for sub compact in 9mm. i was looking at the G33 which is 357sig and then i was gonna order the 9mm barrel and 9mm mags for it. i would carry it as a 357 but not all the time i liked the option to change between the 2 rounds with 1 gun...but the lefty thing is keeping me from commeting to it.
    I'm left handed, and the only issues I've ever had with any Glock had nothing to do with the hand that was holding it. Glocks are about as ambidextrous as they come. There's no manual safety to worry about and the mag release can easily be operated by a lefty or a righty.

If you've got big, meaty hands (like I do), watch out for slide bite. That's my only gripe about Glocks and why I don't own one anymore.

The only guns that ever present an issue for me are those that have a manual safety setup for a right handed shooter. I had an H&K that had the safety on the left side of the slide and I had to cross my thumb over to put it on or decock the gun. I could have had it switched, but I got used to it. 1911s are the same way. That's why my 1911s all have ambi safetys.

Mag releases should not be an issue for a lefty even if the release is not ambidextrous. What a right handed person would press with their right thumb, a left handed person would press with their trigger finger.

I almost never use the slide release on any pistol. If I need to close the slide I either drop the empty mag and rack the slide, or rack it on a full mag if I intend to shoot. Either way I use my right hand. If I'm at the end of a stage and I need to show clear and I don't have an empty mag to lock the slide back, I will shift the gun to my right hand, pull the slide back with my left hand and lock the side back with my right thumb. That next to never happens though.

The de-cocking lever on a Sig is a cinch to operate with your left trigger finger. It was designed that way.

Right or left handed, a revolver should always be in your right hand when you empty and reload it. I alway shift from my left to my right hand, pop out the cylinder (left thumb on the release, right thumb pushing the cylinder), drop brass, drop in a speedloader or moon clip with my left hand, close the cylinder with my right hand and shift the gun back to my left. With enough practice this can be done very, very quickly.

Don't get too hung up on whether a gun is lefty friendly. Most of them are and the ones that aren't out of the box most likely can be made to be. And if you come across one that just won't work for a lefty, forget about it and find one that will.

Good luck.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast