Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Questions about Saiga 12 peculiarities

Merry Sunday morning, shooters! Four quick questions:

1) Is it still true that if you take a full magazine and lock it into position, then leave it alone for a few days, the top round will deform?

2) Will a magazine well extension solve #1? Heck, on a shotgun like this, what would the point of a magazine well be?

3) Is there a reliable LRBHO adapter for the Saiga 12? I'd prefer to have one that doesn't require modification of magazines. These shotguns are specialized enough that I don't want to make it even more specialized by requiring custom-made magazines.

4) What the efficient way to reload these under less than ideal circumstances? It seems like reloading a stock Saiga works like this:

• Pull the trigger and hear it go click (one of my major compaints, btw)
    • Lock back bolt, ensure it's not a stoppage
    • Drop the magazine
    • lock and pivot a new magazine into place
    • Charge the bolt

That doesn't seem particularly... efficient, particularly under stress. What am I missing here?

I really like this shotgun, but I'm trying to figure out how to compensate for what I perceive as some of its drawbacks. Thanks, in advance!

(Blair County)

Default Re: Questions about Saiga 12 peculiarities

Quote Originally Posted by FNG19 View Post
    Merry Sunday morning, shooters! Four quick questions:

1) Is it still true that if you take a full magazine and lock it into position, then leave it alone for a few days, the top round will deform?
    More so with the birdshot loads as opposed to high-brass. That and it requires a few weeks* (IIRC) The Russians got around that using those steel cased shells

Another way to get around this would be to lock your bolt in the rear position and have the action open, or modify the mags
    http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showtopic=20352

2) Will a magazine well extension solve #1? Heck, on a shotgun like this, what would the point of a magazine well be?
    Ever reloaded an AK faster than an AR style rifle? The mag well would speed up the reloads

3) Is there a reliable LRBHO adapter for the Saiga 12? I'd prefer to have one that doesn't require modification of magazines. These shotguns are specialized enough that I don't want to make it even more specialized by requiring custom-made magazines.
    No, couple guys on the Saiga-12 forum keep talking bout it. Nothing concrete yet

4) What the efficient way to reload these under less than ideal circumstances? It seems like reloading a stock Saiga works like this:

• Pull the trigger and hear it go click (one of my major compaints, btw)
    • Lock back bolt, ensure it's not a stoppage
    • Drop the magazine
    • lock and pivot a new magazine into place
    • Charge the bolt

That doesn't seem particularly... efficient, particularly under stress. What am I missing here?
    The competition guys "count rounds" and reload on a closed bolt (with a live shell in) and they are ready to keep going. I don't know the official techniques since the milk jugs don't really run between mags I do ok except for the occasional mag (#2 in that video)

I really like this shotgun, but I'm trying to figure out how to compensate for what I perceive as some of its drawbacks. Thanks, in advance!
    The resident Saiga snob
    "You will never leave Harlan alive..."

Damn rep button is broken, but I appreciate the info.

Quote Originally Posted by scoutjoe View Post
    More so with the birdshot loads as opposed to high-brass. That and it requires a few weeks* (IIRC) The Russians got around that using those steel cased shells
    Right now, I'm firing Federal Low Recoil Tactical 00. As I understand it, these rounds qualify as low brass. Is this correct? If so, does that place it closer to birdshot or high-brass? This is my first shotgun. I'm still learning!

Ever reloaded an AK faster than an AR style rifle? The mag well would speed up the reloads
    Alright. Sounds like I'd have to go for 922r compliance if I wanted to add the mag well, since it's no longer a stock "sporting purpose" rifle (right?). The magwell, plus american mags, plus a new muzzle break ought to put me where I need to be, huh?

The competition guys "count rounds" and reload on a closed bolt (with a live shell in) and they are ready to keep going.
    Yeah, I hear you there. I'll have to figure something out. I'm not eager to have to use this under stress, only to hear "click" when I was expecting "bang". Timed exercises or real life, seconds counts. Still, I really like the platform, so I'm going to try to find a way to make it work.

(Blair County)

Right now, I'm firing Federal Low Recoil Tactical 00. As I understand it, these rounds qualify as low brass. Is this correct? If so, does that place it closer to birdshot or high-brass? This is my first shotgun. I'm still learning!
    Generally speaking 00 buck is high brass, in your case a low recoil 00 buck will need to be on #2 (probably) to cycle correctly. I can't remember anybody particularly posting about using that on a closed bolt. I would think that the 00 buck would resist deforming better than the birdshot. The only true reliable way is to try it in your gun as these shotguns have a much wider tolerance for fit as opposed to other brands.

Alright. Sounds like I'd have to go for 922r compliance if I wanted to add the mag well, since it's no longer a stock "sporting purpose" rifle (right?). The magwell, plus american mags, plus a new muzzle break ought to put me where I need to be, huh?
    If you go the magwell route I can't help ya much there. Hasn't been a whole lot of people that have them, even fewer who have tried to make them work. I believe Tony (Tromix) got one to run, but it was for a specific competition gun so I don't think its an "option" to add.

I do believe that Greg (Carolina Shooters Supply) runs a magwell gun. But I don't know if that is something he did or where it came from. Sorry

Yeah, I hear you there. I'll have to figure something out. I'm not eager to have to use this under stress, only to hear "click" when I was expecting "bang". Timed exercises or real life, seconds counts. Still, I really like the platform, so I'm going to try to find a way to make it work.
    True, I have a cutout on one of my 8rnd mags, or there are the clear and or smoke AGPs out there.

I'm holding out for a last round bolt hold open myself, I got faith in what Cobra76two is conjuring up
    The resident Saiga snob
    "You will never leave Harlan alive..."