Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Indiana County)

Default I got a UNIQUE question...

I am currently going to school out of state. I am thinking of buying a new rifle. Is it legal for me to buy one in another state and then transport it back home to PA when I get a chance too? To my knowledge I beileve it is legal but I am not 100% sure.

(Centre County)

Default Re: I got a UNIQUE question...

As far as i understand... Long Guns are legal to buy out of state... As for transporting it, just follow common sense, unloaded locked in the trunk. Another point supporting its legality is that PA itself is not involved in the purchase of Long Guns, the "registration" is taken care of by the BATF (or was it the FBI i cant remember) directly.

Quote Originally Posted by Capt. Jean-Luc Picard
    Oh yes, thats how it starts. The road from legitimate suspicion to rampant paranoia is very much shorter than we think.

Hi.
    Assuming you are legal to purchase in you state, you can purchase a long gun in
    states that share a border with your home state. Your student status may make a big difference in other states. I would call BATF and ask them.
    Hugh

(Montgomery County)

you can purchase a long gun in ANY state, federally legal, as long as you do it from an FFL, and and not FTF.

handguns have to go FFL to FFL, from that state to yours.

transport, make sure you follow states rules, as above, best to keep ammo and gun separate.

see ATF FAQ page for this:

http://www.atf.treas.gov/firearms/faq/faq2.htm#b2

(B2) From whom may an unlicensed person acquire a firearm under the GCA? [Back]

A person may only acquire a firearm within the person’s own State, except that he or she may purchase or otherwise acquire a rifle or shotgun, in person, at a licensee's premises in any State, provided the sale complies with State laws applicable in the State of sale and the State where the purchaser resides. A person may borrow or rent a firearm in any State for temporary use for lawful sporting purposes.

[18 U.S.C. 922(a)(3) and (5), 922(b)(3), 27 CFR 478.29 and 478.30]
    "Oderint Dum Metuant" - BMFH

"Tact is for people not witty enough to use sarcasm"

Note: any whingeing crazy that hits my PM inbox will be deleted without reply

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by RiflesRock View Post
    I am currently going to school out of state. I am thinking of buying a new rifle. Is it legal for me to buy one in another state and then transport it back home to PA when I get a chance too? To my knowledge I beileve it is legal but I am not 100% sure.
    Yes, you may purchase a long gun (not handguns) from an FFL located in another state, where you take possession of the firearm in a state that is not your home state. This is legal under PA and Federal law.

The state in which you purchase may have other rules. I have no idea what they'd be.

I would not suggest that you purchase long guns from persons who are not FFL holders, from other states (except through an FFL, as JayBell points out). Others have long argued that it is legal to do a simple person to person, but it is my opinion that they haven't read the relevant statutes and regulations closely enough.

Husker: The state need not border your home state in order for the purchase to be legal under Federal law.
    Last edited by Rule10b5; March 15th, 2007 at 05:55 PM.
    The material presented herein is for informational purposes only, is not guaranteed to be correct, complete, or up to date, does not constitute legal advice and does not establish an attorney-client relationship. You should NOT act or rely on any information in this post or e-mail without seeking the advice of an attorney YOU have retained.

In plain English, while I am an attorney, I'm NOT your attorney, and I'm NOT giving you legal advice.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by JayBell View Post
    you can purchase a long gun in ANY state, federally legal, as long as you do it from an FFL, and and not FTF.

handguns have to go FFL to FFL, from that state to yours.

transport, make sure you follow states rules, as above, best to keep ammo and gun separate.

see ATF FAQ page for this:

http://www.atf.treas.gov/firearms/faq/faq2.htm#b2

(B2) From whom may an unlicensed person acquire a firearm under the GCA? [Back]

A person may only acquire a firearm within the person’s own State, except that he or she may purchase or otherwise acquire a rifle or shotgun, in person, at a licensee's premises in any State, provided the sale complies with State laws applicable in the State of sale and the State where the purchaser resides. A person may borrow or rent a firearm in any State for temporary use for lawful sporting purposes.

[18 U.S.C. 922(a)(3) and (5), 922(b)(3), 27 CFR 478.29 and 478.30]
    Exactly. Guess I cross posted you
    The material presented herein is for informational purposes only, is not guaranteed to be correct, complete, or up to date, does not constitute legal advice and does not establish an attorney-client relationship. You should NOT act or rely on any information in this post or e-mail without seeking the advice of an attorney YOU have retained.

In plain English, while I am an attorney, I'm NOT your attorney, and I'm NOT giving you legal advice.