Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: AR-15??

Default AR-15??

Hi All
    I am a 07 FFL holder and what I would like to know is if I buy a complete lower for an AR-15 to resell to one of my customers do I need to put my markings on it as I would if I was to buy a stripped lower and build it for him.
    I just want to make sure that I am legal and good with the ATF.
    Thank you for your time.

(York County)

Default Re: AR-15??

your marking only needs to go on receivers that you are converting to "taxable" items, as in SBR, SBS, AOW, or post sample machine guns. if you are re-selling a standard semi-auto receiver or gun you treat it like a standard "title 1" firearm in your acquisitions and dispositions book. this includes "stripped receivers" that are already 100% complete and marked by their manufacturer, regardless of your assembly of them to a parts kit. in such case, though, you may be seen as increasing the value of the assembly and thereby owe tax on the increased value. talk to your ATF field agent about this. surely you interviewed with one before being granted a type 7?

how do you not know this simple stuff and intend to operate as a type 7?
    Last edited by justashooter; April 29th, 2014 at 12:53 PM.

(Susquehanna County)

IANAL, but complete lowers require a serial number and should already have one.
    Stay armed my friends.

Justashooter
    This is not simple stuff when the ATF tells you one thing and then calls you back the next day and tells you different. He went so far as to tell me that I had to put my marking on the barrel which will not work as the profile will not hold company name city and state. I will have to talk to my field agent again.
    Thank you for your response.

(Lebanon County)

Quote Originally Posted by oscbus01 View Post
    Hi All
    I am a 07 FFL holder and what I would like to know is if I buy a complete lower for an AR-15 to resell to one of my customers do I need to put my markings on it as I would if I was to buy a stripped lower and build it for him.
    I just want to make sure that I am legal and good with the ATF.
    Thank you for your time.
    If this is really what you are doing, then no, there is no requirement to mark anything, as you were not involved in any manufacturing process with this particular firearm.