Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Delaware County)

Default Non competition range trip

In making those informal trips to the range just to shoot a new gun or one you have not shot for awhile, would you rather make the trip alone or with others? I have mixed feelings on the subject. I like the company, but spend too much time talking and rarely accomplish what I set out to do.

(Somerset County)

Default Re: Non competition range trip

Usually take 1 person, sometimes the wife, sometimes my Dad or son, sometimes a buddy. We shoot both targets and BS.

Dale

(Butler County)

It's more fun with more guys but it cuts down on your trigger time. Plus they see what a lousy shot I am.

(Tioga County)

Like a lot of things, shooting, kayaking, bike riding, a lot of times I'd rather just do it alone. Many times I try to include other people but they whine about the cold or the wind or this or that and I just don't have time for that crap. Or dealing with the logistics of other people, like last year on a holiday I invited some people over to shoot and BBQ, spent several hours setting the range and getting everything ready and then they never turned up and finally later that afternoon got a message they were not coming, had other things to do. OK, well, there's my day gone.

Yesterday it was a very nice day, breezy but not bad. I went out for 2 hours and shot a variety of guns, enjoyed the beautiful day and admired the eagles flying over head and the deer watching me shoot(yes the deer usually turn up to watch me on the range, they stand behind me 20-50 feet away). Didn't have to deal with other people and it was a good thing as I could just enjoy shooting with no hassles.

Stone's throw from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

I like to set up shop and get some practice in before my friends show up. Then I really don't care if we shoot, BS, or whatever. But if I had a particular task to accomplish and I had to choose one or the other, I'd go alone.

(Allegheny County)

For me, going to the range = practicing/training. I am lucky, as I have a built in range coach that goes with me...my wife.

We are able to run each other through our drills and make corrections or recommendations as needed. Going on close to 30 years now, so it has worked for us.

Sometimes we go to the range with several friends/associates, during these times my wife and I will alternate running the range line for the drills that we are going to do.

I have never been of fan of going to the range by myself. Again, I can say that I am extremely lucky in the fact that my wife and I have shared our interest in firearms completely over the years.
    Tomorrow's battle is won during today's practice.

(Allegheny County)

Generally speaking I'm a independent/introverted person. I've gotten a bit more social in my 30's. I also have a small group of close friends and everyone else who is not family is an acquaintance.

Plans that I make with friends I have a a good enough relationship that I know I can trust them to be there unless they have a good excuse. I'll go the extra mile for a friend. But an acquaintance not so much and ill make sure there is a backup plan if they fail to show.

Range trips are probably %60 with a good friend %30 myself and %10 with acquaintances.

I like all three. Sometimes its nice to shoot by yourself so you can concentrate on exactly what you are doing with no distractions. With a good friend I get almost all of that plus some company and constructive criticism. Acquaintances allot of times follow into the new shooter category for some reason and I do enjoy introducing shooting to new people.
    "No, it's just a machine. I'm the weapon." - Jack Harper in Oblivion

(Northampton County)

Sometimes I want to go to the range alone, but generally speaking I do not go alone. My range is very secluded, and has minimal at best cell phone reception. So I always take at least one buddy for safety's sake. Never know if something will go wrong and end up getting hurt and unable to get medical attention.
    You may find me dead in a ditch one day. But by God, I'll be lying in a pile of brass.

(Chester County)

My gun club is small (250+ members) so it's common for me, or my sons and I to have the place to ourselves. However, I like the social aspect of the club and enjoy it better when other members are present (meeting, learning and talking guns). And as a result, I've handled and fired more guns than I could have hoped for otherwise, "hey... you want to try it and throw some rounds down range?"

I'm a director at the club, so I occasionally go without any guns just to hang out and meet members who are present.

(Tioga County)

Quote Originally Posted by JStem1283 View Post
    Sometimes I want to go to the range alone, but generally speaking I do not go alone. My range is very secluded, and has minimal at best cell phone reception. So I always take at least one buddy for safety's sake. Never know if something will go wrong and end up getting hurt and unable to get medical attention.
    True. I always let someone know where, when and what I am doing when shooting. You never know. I also need to get a medical bag as well.

I learned my lesson this winter. Everyone thought I had left for a business trip but before I did I went to the back of the property to check on something due to the snowmelt, long story short, had an accident thanks to slippy ice and was back there exposed in the cold and rain with improper clothing and no phone and no one knew I was there. I was lucky but came close to getting killed or severely injured and had to walk out as it was. Fortunately no permanent damage but I learned that someone should know where you are and you need to be prepared because often things happen when you don't expect.