Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Franklin County)

Default Lee Enfield SMLE

I'm thinking of purchasing one... any recommendations? Think it'll be best to get it rebarreled ti 7.62mmNATO?

Default Re: Lee Enfield SMLE

TO THAT JEFFGUY. I ALSO HAD A CHANCE TO BUY A LEE ENFIELD A WHILE BACK. NOW ALL I CAN DO IS KICK MYSELF IN PITY MODE. YOU DO WHAT EVER YOU HAVE TO DO TO GET THAT RIFLE SHOOTING AND TO HECK WITH ANY BAD COMMENTS ABOUT YOUR NEW PRIZE.

Question Re: Lee Enfield SMLE

IT FINALY COMES TO MIND IN MY SLEEPDEPRIVED STATE THAT IN THIS FORUM THERE WOULD BE A HUGE NUMBER OF SHOOTERS OR COLLECTORS.
    WHO BETTER TO ASK? LEE ENFEILD RIFLES MK 11, MK111 OR REALLY ANY SERIES IN THAT RIFLE THAT MIGHT BE UP FOR SALE. IF EVEN INFO AS TO WHERE IT MIGHT BE BAUGHT. THE LAST PLACE THAT I SAW WAS AT GI JOE'S
    A CHANE OF STORES THAT DEW TO THE ECONOMY HAS GONE THE WAY OF THE DODO BIRD. THEY HAD FIVE OR SIX DIFFERENT MODELS SELLING FOR 159.00 UP TO 300.00. WHEN I FINALLY MADE UP MY MIND THE STORE HAD TRANSFERED ALL AMMUNITION, RIFLES, SHOTGUNS,AND ALL OTHER SHOOTING ACCESORIES TO ANOTHER STORE, THE LIKES OF WHICH, WOULDN'T TELL ME OVER THE PHONE, WHERE THEY HAD BEEN SENT.
    CRAP! SORRY.

Quote Originally Posted by thatJeffguy View Post
    I'm thinking of purchasing one... any recommendations? Think it'll be best to get it rebarreled ti 7.62mmNATO?
    A coworker has one that unfortunately has been sporterized, its a really nice rifle though and plenty accurate for hitting steel at 200yds. His is still in .303, I don't know the availability and price of .303 and 7.62x51 but instead of those two I imagine you'd have many different types of ammo available if you go to .308win, FWIW.

Quote Originally Posted by jeffc View Post
    TO THAT JEFFGUY. I ALSO HAD A CHANCE TO BUY A LEE ENFIELD A WHILE BACK. NOW ALL I CAN DO IS KICK MYSELF IN PITY MODE. YOU DO WHAT EVER YOU HAVE TO DO TO GET THAT RIFLE SHOOTING AND TO HECK WITH ANY BAD COMMENTS ABOUT YOUR NEW PRIZE.
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffc View Post
    IT FINALY COMES TO MIND IN MY SLEEPDEPRIVED STATE THAT IN THIS FORUM THERE WOULD BE A HUGE NUMBER OF SHOOTERS OR COLLECTORS.
    WHO BETTER TO ASK? LEE ENFEILD RIFLES MK 11, MK111 OR REALLY ANY SERIES IN THAT RIFLE THAT MIGHT BE UP FOR SALE. IF EVEN INFO AS TO WHERE IT MIGHT BE BAUGHT. THE LAST PLACE THAT I SAW WAS AT GI JOE'S
    A CHANE OF STORES THAT DEW TO THE ECONOMY HAS GONE THE WAY OF THE DODO BIRD. THEY HAD FIVE OR SIX DIFFERENT MODELS SELLING FOR 159.00 UP TO 300.00. WHEN I FINALLY MADE UP MY MIND THE STORE HAD TRANSFERED ALL AMMUNITION, RIFLES, SHOTGUNS,AND ALL OTHER SHOOTING ACCESORIES TO ANOTHER STORE, THE LIKES OF WHICH, WOULDN'T TELL ME OVER THE PHONE, WHERE THEY HAD BEEN SENT.
    CRAP! SORRY.
    WHY ARE YOU YELLING?????????????????? anyway, welcome to the forum

Quote Originally Posted by LowCapacity View Post
    A coworker has one that unfortunately has been sporterized, its a really nice rifle though and plenty accurate for hitting steel at 200yds. His is still in .303, I don't know the availability and price of .303 and 7.62x51 but instead of those two I imagine you'd have many different types of ammo available if you go to .308win, FWIW.
    I absolutely love it. Got a 1917 with all the original bits and it still shoots pretty well. Also, .303 british will be comparatively expensive and is a real pain to find in stores, but not terrible if you go the reloading route.

(Allegheny County)

the ishapore ones from India are in 308,that's if you can find them now. good luck.

(Allegheny County)

I kick myself for not getting an Enfield when the Indian 308's were cheap and plentiful.

The Enfield looks like a slick bolt rifle. It cocks as you close the bolt rather than when you go to open it, so you can work it a little faster. It also holds 10 rounds in its magazine.

(Lebanon County)

Quote Originally Posted by offshorebear View Post
    I kick myself for not getting an Enfield when the Indian 308's were cheap and plentiful.

The Enfield looks like a slick bolt rifle. It cocks as you close the bolt rather than when you go to open it, so you can work it a little faster. It also holds 10 rounds in its magazine.
    yes, but it's not as smooth as an action as the mauser type, and no where close to the krag action.
    it's only metal, we can out think it....

(York County)

the enfield is actually smoother than mausers...but that another debate.

also, should you purchase an enfield in .303 and want to rebarrel it in a different caliber, you may be out of luck. when lithgow did the tests on these to make a 7.62 nato chambered rifle using an original .303 brit caliber receiver, they experienced many receiver failures due to excessive pressure that the round creates. they scrapped this idea and soon after adopted a semiauto in 7.62 nato.

also, a note should be given that .308 and 7.62 nato are two different beasts. yes, same caliber, but different pressure results. the inidan rifles should be fired with 7.62 nato ammo, not .308 stuff you find at your local wal-mart.

i have many different enfields ranging from #1mk3, #4m1, #4mk2, #4 "T" sniper, etc. all shoot very well and are lots of fun to have. i highly recommend them as a cheap shooter and they are also considered one of the best bolt action rifles ever made.

(Bucks County)

Like other poster already stated: 'Why the hell would you want to re-barrel a .303?'. It will cost you less money to purchase a Ishapore 2A1 in 7.62 Nato than to rebarrel even a sporterized No 1 Mk III Enfield. I bought my Ishy from AIM in VG condition for under $200 a couple of years ago, thick black paint and all.
    C & R License Holder, Delaware Valley Fish & Game Assoc,
    Penna Rifle & Pistol Assoc, Forks of the Delaware Historical Arms Society, and NRA Lifetime Member.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast