Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Carbon County)

Default Looking to get my first shotgun

I am in the market for a budget home defense shotgun and was hoping for some input. I was looking at the Maverick 88 and the NEF Pardner pump. Does anyone have either and what are your opinions on both. I am also looking for a used 500 or 870, but if I don't find one to fit my budget, I am possibly going to settle for the 88 or the Pardner. Any input would be great.

Thanks, Jim
    If zombies start chasing us, I'm going to trip you!

Default Re: Looking to get my first shotgun

I don't have any experience with the NEF or the Mav 88, but I can tell you that the Mossberg 500 and the Remington 870 are excellent entry level shotguns. I just picked up a Mossberg 500 Persuader/Cruiser last week brand new for $350 plus tax. 20" barrel, 8 shot capacity, black synthetic. I enjoy shooting it immensely. From what I have heard, the NEF's and the Mav 88's are decent guns for their price range. If you are looking to add things to them; tactical forends and pistol grip stocks and things of that nature, I can't say for certain if you'll be able to find them for the NEF's or 88's. However, tactical parts for the 500's and 870's are readily available, if that's what you plan on doing with it. Hope that helps and good luck.
    When seconds count, the police are usually just minutes away...

(Berks County)

Keep your eye out for a used 870 or 500. But if that fails the 88 is a good inexpensive shotgun. If I remember correctly I think Maverick is owned by Mossberg.

-Scott

(Monroe County)

AFAIK most parts for a Moss 500 will fit on a Mav 88. so if you get a stock 88, it can be tacticooled out with Moss 500 parts with the money youd save on buying the 88 over the 500. but id prefer to get myself a 500 Persuader.
    Guns don't kill people, it's mostly the bullets.

(Lehigh County)

Also a thumbs up on the 500 Mossberg. As others have mentioned, the safety is awkward. Good reliable shotgun and reasonable price.

(Centre County)

If interested see: http://forum.pafoa.org/firearms-6/60...erg-500-a.html

Good shotgun at a good price.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Carbon County)

Thanks everyone for your input. I appreciate all the help. Today I was browsing thepapershop dot com and found a Mossberg 500A with 18.5 inch barrel, 7 round mag tube, and black synthetic stock. Went to look at it this evening and was happy with what I saw. So guess what followed me home....

Sorry for the crappy pics, I will post better ones later. Very happy with my find. The guy was selling it for $200. Good deal? Too much? Either way I didn't have to settle for a NEF of Maverick, (not that there is anything wrong with them, but I got a Mossy 500).

Again, thanks for the input.

Jim

Feels good don't it!? Feels even better when you get it out to the range the first time. And the 2nd...and 3rd...and 4th....and...

(Lackawanna County)

Id say that was a very good price. Looks to be in good shape too. My mossy only holds 5 so yes Im jealous. Sorta kinda. I got the mossy M590A1, more heavy duty, 18.5" but like I said only holds 5. Sounds like plenty but whats wrong with more? And more for less (money in your case) is always good! I say great buy! Now what are you gonna do with it? Side saddle for more shells? So many options!

Who says Mossberg safeties are awkward? What are you smoking? Most everyone Ive ever talked to loves them over the 870 because you can keep your finger on the trigger and hit the safety with your thumb. I would think it would be even faster, plus its directly in your line of sight so there would be no panic fumble for it. Rather hard to feel for it and miss. Its all pluses as far as Im concerned.
    Millions for defense, Not one cent for tribute!

(Carbon County)

I am thinking maybe a side saddle, possibly a pistol grip with a collapsible stock. Don't want just a pistol grip, not my thing. Maybe something like the Knoxx Stock. Not sure. Definitely want to make it a nice tactical shotty. Like you said, though, so many options.

Jim

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast