Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Lycoming County)

Default idpa shooting on the next level

so i have been shooting idpa now for over 3 years i am a sharpshooter in both ssp and ssr i feel as if i have hit a plateau and i'm not getting any better. so what i want to know is what sort of things can i do to take my skill to the next level

(Westmoreland County)

Default Re: idpa shooting on the next level

Quote Originally Posted by idpasharpshooter View Post
    so i have been shooting idpa now for over 3 years i am a sharpshooter in both ssp and ssr i feel as if i have hit a plateau and i'm not getting any better. so what i want to know is what sort of things can i do to take my skill to the next level
    Search the net for a class by Scott Warren. Scott is a multi time natioanl champ in IDPA. Scott's 2 day class is ideal for IDPA or IPSC shooters. He will teach you so many little things and some big things also. He will show you how to figure out where you ned to improve and give you methods of doing it. He will show you how to break down a course of fire and figure exactly how long it will take you. I attended one 2 years ago and really liked it. I give it 5 stars!
    Captain

(Blair County)

There are two big things you can do to improve your IDPA shooting.

I think the most effective thing you can do is shoot with better shooters. When you go to your next match shoot with all Master class shooters. When you shoot with better shooters you will learn little tips and techniques that will make a big difference in your shooting.

The second thing to do it improve your "mental" game. Get in the habit of mentally planning every aspect of your stage mentally before you shoot it.

Hope this helps!
    Corey
    Glock Armorer
    IDPA
    USPSA

(Lawrence County)

Honestly. Break out of the game. Shoot USPSA. The difference between Sharpshooter and the upper classes is accurate speed. USPSA is good at that.

I taught Chuck Norris to bump-fire.

(Chester County)

Check out Plaxco's book "Shooting from Within". It offers you the same tip often presented multiple ways. I found the tips in there to offer some good direction.

I honestly never followed a really set training program. I always started and ended my sessions with a pure slow fire, best 5 round group, though.

I shot a lot with people who were initially better than me, and strove to out-shoot them....both accuracy wise, and speed wise. Having good shooters around helps, a lot.

A couple drills I did on occasion...I tried to shoot targets with multiple zones...having a partner call which zone to hit, while either you or the target are moving, and while managing reloads and clearing dummy rounds. The idea is to up the stress level and force you to get used to doing the basics under stress.

To borrow a quote from the book I listed "there are no advanced techniques, only advanced applications of the basics." I firmly believe that.

I took about 4 months off of shooting entirely, I went in to an IDPA match having not shot a gun in months, and shot just as well as I did before...ranking right in there with the master class shooters. I did well because all I thought about was just putting the front sight on the target. The worst I ever did at a match was when I was focused on getting my time down as low as I could.

Just put some small targets out and focus on hitting them...keep doing it. If your ready to take the next shot, take it. The pace will gradually improve. Then make the targets bigger and incorporate draws and reloads. Do the reloads on the small targets too. Just get used to taking your time when you need to, and shooting as soon as you know you can make the shot.

The nice thing about IDPA is that every stage is different. Practice till you can shoot good groups, practice your presentation, and practice some movement stuff...all the stages will just be a combination of these basic skills.

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by idpasharpshooter View Post

Shoot USPSA!!!! There is a reason why the best shooters in IDPA come from USPSA. You learn to think for yourself and you get to push your shooting skills to another plane.
    Friends don't let friends buy Taurus's

(Cambria County)

Quote Originally Posted by cmu7999321 View Post
    There are two big things you can do to improve your IDPA shooting.

I think the most effective thing you can do is shoot with better shooters. When you go to your next match shoot with all Master class shooters. When you shoot with better shooters you will learn little tips and techniques that will make a big difference in your shooting.

The second thing to do it improve your "mental" game. Get in the habit of mentally planning every aspect of your stage mentally before you shoot it.

Hope this helps!
    Corey
    So, that is why you guys are standing around forever before you shoot. Your mentally planning...

This is my biggest problem and why I don't advance more. I don't take it "really" serious. I'm joking and laughing and just having a heck of a good time. When it is my turn to shoot, I just walk up and blaze away. I did quit using my Subcompact and IWB holster for the rest of the year. Want to see if there is a difference in my shooting.

I have learned a lot from Dan and Corey. Little things that will help big time.

Best advice I ever got and that I pass on to all new shooters I meet is this.
    "YOU CAN'T MISS FAST ENOUGH TO WIN."

Quote Originally Posted by Lycanthrope View Post
    Honestly. Break out of the game. Shoot USPSA. The difference between Sharpshooter and the upper classes is accurate speed. USPSA is good at that.
    Heck, USPSA is a game too. It is just a much faster paced game with a lot more targets to shoot at. Not as many rules, and some wild and freaky handguns come out of some wild and crazy holsters. (If you get a chance to watch Lycan shoot. He is pretty darn good at this silly stuff)

I do both. And see advantages to both.

IDPA tries to be a bit realistic. Got to use cover. Most of us carry concealed. No trick guns. Most of us would never carry what they shoot in USPSA or IPSC. No dropping ammo. Wouldn't want to do that in a gun fight. Have to use cover. If they bad guy is shooting back, you better take cover. Slice the pie, tactical order.... all stuff you would do realistically. The Rules make it harder in my opinion, cause you only have one way of solving it. Everyone does. So, you aren't scored on how much better you solved the thing. But rather on how much faster and better a shot you are than everyone else.

USPSA is pure game. And it is fast and furious. Tricked out guns with sights that you would never consider using on a carry gun. Holsters that just barely hold the gun. Lots and lots of ammo. All you can carry. You solve the problem whatever way you see fit. Just hit all the targets, and be the fastest doing it. USPSA is a wild ride. First time I shot it I was amazed at all that was going on. Heck, one stage I think it took 32 rounds to complete, and that is if you didn't miss anything. IDPA max is 18 rounds.

Me.... I say do both. Do all you can. Both of them will improve your shooting in one way or another. I use a stock pistol in stock holster for both events. And I am having a blast at each of them.

BOTTOM LINE: Shoot IDPA if your funds are tight. You use less ammo. Shoot USPSA if you can afford to expend more ammo. Shoot Both if you got stock in one of the ammo companies. You can't go wrong.
    The American Revolution would never have happened with gun control....
    The day they want my guns, they'll have to bring theirs!!!
    Proud to be One of the 3%

(Lawrence County)

Just a note: In USPSA Single Stack and Production divisions, the gear and guns are identical to IDPA. USPSA is not always about full blown racing.....and the skills transfer over easier to IDPA than the reverse.

I took a couple first year USPSA shooters with me to their first local IDPA match last month. They both said they would do it again....because it helps their self-esteem. They both finished in the top 5 overall and were shooting Stock Service Pistol.

That's not a slam on IDPA at all. But..I do think it is critical to learn to think and shoot at the same time. I truly believe that is a benefit to most people in learning to be able to track the front sight in recoil and allowing them to make adjustments on the fly in gun handling stuations that they have never practiced.

Lycanessentiallyweagreethrope

I taught Chuck Norris to bump-fire.

(Cambria County)

Quote Originally Posted by Lycanthrope View Post
    Just a note: In USPSA Single Stack and Production divisions, the gear and guns are identical to IDPA. USPSA is not always about full blown racing.....and the skills transfer over easier to IDPA than the reverse.

I took a couple first year USPSA shooters with me to their first local IDPA match last month. They both said they would do it again....because it helps their self-esteem. They both finished in the top 5 overall and were shooting Stock Service Pistol.

That's not a slam on IDPA at all. But..I do think it is critical to learn to think and shoot at the same time. I truly believe that is a benefit to most people in learning to be able to track the front sight in recoil and allowing them to make adjustments on the fly in gun handling situations that they have never practiced.
    Lycanessentiallyweagreethrope
    YEAH..... What he said.

One thing USPSA will do is teach you to sight, move, and hit a target. Cause you are moving a lot. Shooting a lot. I know it helps me in my IDPA shoots too. But ssshhhhhh, I don't want to let the secret out to the IDPA guys till I start to beat them.

Your right... essentially we agree. (See great minds do think alike)
    The American Revolution would never have happened with gun control....
    The day they want my guns, they'll have to bring theirs!!!
    Proud to be One of the 3%