Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Northampton County)

Default Question on interstate pistol transportation law . . .

I got talking with an old college buddy recently, and he mentioned that he's still using his parent's address in PA as his legal address, but he bought a home in NJ a number of years ago and works in NJ as well . . . the question here is the legality of him buying a pistol in PA and then driving it back to his house in NJ to use it as home defense. He claims he's good to go, but that seems contrary to what I've read in the past. Can someone clear this up / point me to the actual laws? Thanks!

(Jefferson County)

Default Re: Question on interstate pistol transportation law . . .

Despite where his drivers license say is his address, to federal law his place of residency is where he is residing - which is New Jersey.

He may slip under the radar with his tactics, but it is technically a violation of federal law.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515, SteveWag

Don't end up in my signature!

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by BionicMan View Post
    I got talking with an old college buddy recently, and he mentioned that he's still using his parent's address in PA as his legal address, but he bought a home in NJ a number of years ago and works in NJ as well . . . the question here is the legality of him buying a pistol in PA and then driving it back to his house in NJ to use it as home defense. He claims he's good to go, but that seems contrary to what I've read in the past. Can someone clear this up / point me to the actual laws? Thanks!
    He is considered an NJ resident under 27 CFR 478.11 for purposes of the Federal Firearm Laws. As such he would be prohibited from taking possession of a handgun from outside NJ and bringing it back into NJ (ref 18 USC 922(a)(3)). In addition, if he did buy that handgun in Pa from an FFL he would be falsifying his address on both the SP4-113 and ATF 4473 forms and be violative of both Pa and other Federal statutes.
    IANAL

(Northampton County)

Thanks for the info fellas.