Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Lackawanna County)

Default Refinishing Pistol - Plausible, Possible, or Simply Stupid

Just wondering if there is any way to cost-effectively refinish a pistol. While I am in serious doubt of the plausibility of this, I figured I would ask. There are a bunch of blemished including 4 that appear to be underneath the blued coat.

How much would it cost to get my pistol refinished in a basic blued style, if at all possible? Are there places that do different options, ie two toning the serrated portions on the front and rear of the slide? Where could I do this, if anyone has any recommendations. I got my used pistol for a pretty good place, and I don't think I'd mind spending around (preferably less than) $100 to refinish it when I can replenish my gun funds. Thanks for the info!

EDIT (more details):

Specically, I am looking to refinish the slide, frame, sides of the barrel bushing and beavertail. Basically, all the moving components that start to show wear after time and use (just exterior. cause who cares about how pretty the inside of a gun looks?)
    Last edited by msquaredserver; January 25th, 2009 at 05:47 PM.
    "Twice today have I been told that my outfit does not match my gun..."

(Lawrence County)

Default Re: Refinishing Pistol - Plausible, Possible, or Simply Stupid

You can get a cold bluing kit at Walmart... It comes witha cleaner/degreaser, a rust and bluing remover, and a cold bluing solution... You clean it, strip it, clean it again, blue it, then clean it again... It all just brushes on... I've used it and it seems to hold up just fine. Just take your time with it and it'll come out looking like new... Not bad for under 20 bucks...

-Chaz
    I like guns... And boobs...

(Lackawanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by Chazman321 View Post
    You can get a cold bluing kit at Walmart... It comes witha cleaner/degreaser, a rust and bluing remover, and a cold bluing solution... You clean it, strip it, clean it again, blue it, then clean it again... It all just brushes on... I've used it and it seems to hold up just fine. Just take your time with it and it'll come out looking like new... Not bad for under 20 bucks...

-Chaz
    Hot damn really? I saw a couple places online that offered to do it for like $200+ and that is way too much. WIth the bluing solution, how big of a risk is there that I will do something to mess it up, like leave streaks or a fingerprint or something?

(Lackawanna County)

I read about Van's Instant Gun bluing on another forum. I had an older Colt Trooper with a lot of holster wear. I didn't want to spend a fortune on it. I just wanted it to look better at the range.

I tried the stuff, and was pleasantly surprised at the results. The trick is to heat the metal first. Gun dealers have been keeping this stuff a secret for years.

Check it out.
    http://www.vansgunblue.com/

(Lawrence County)

Fingerprints are oil, if you use the cleaner/degreaser you won't have that problem ;-) As for streaks, they can mostly be avoided if you do the bluing quickly. Handguns are easier to get a good coat then a rifle without streaks... You can even find a little spray bottle to put the bluing on, kinda like spray painting... Heating the metal makes it take the bluing quicker, you don't need much heat though, a little goes a long way or else it bonds even faster... Making streaks more likely... If it becomes messed up, the rust and blue remover is still handy... lol

-Chaz
    I like guns... And boobs...

wow what walmart do you go to that they have it that cheap? i go to the west york walmart and have never seen that.....

(Lancaster County)

Ive used the cold blue on a couple of rifles and one pistol. It does a ok job, but here are some tips.

1. clean really good, degrease everything , dip it if you can.
    2. take a real fine steel wool and lightly buff the whole thing.
    3. clean again.
    4. buff again.
    5. clean again.
    6. use cotton balls held by clothes pins soaked in the cold blue to apply.
    7. between each blueing clean with alcohol and buff lightly with steel wool.
    8. clean again.
    9. keep doing the process till you get the desired color.

i just spread a old towel on the floor in front of the tv and set there all night doing it. it takes a lot of paitence. use the steel wool , it will give it a nice shiny look and a deeper blued look. it can be fun because when your done with it you now have something that is done by you and you can show it off to others at the range.
    No longer posting

(Lackawanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by riverpirate View Post
    Ive used the cold blue on a couple of rifles and one pistol. It does a ok job, but here are some tips.

1. clean really good, degrease everything , dip it if you can.
    2. take a real fine steel wool and lightly buff the whole thing.
    3. clean again.
    4. buff again.
    5. clean again.
    6. use cotton balls held by clothes pins soaked in the cold blue to apply.
    7. between each blueing clean with alcohol and buff lightly with steel wool.
    8. clean again.
    9. keep doing the process till you get the desired color.

i just spread a old towel on the floor in front of the tv and set there all night doing it. it takes a lot of paitence. use the steel wool , it will give it a nice shiny look and a deeper blued look. it can be fun because when your done with it you now have something that is done by you and you can show it off to others at the range.
    Thanks for all the advice guys, I do appreciate it (and I hope this thread serves others that may be interested as well). But I did wind up cutting my losses, selling the used gun to Gander and buying a brand new 1911. There was a safety issue (that freaked me out) and made me very uncomfortable carrying it as well as the finish was getting destroyed.