Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Chester County)

Default New B! Need some how-to

I'm the new guy to the AR world. I've looked briefly into what it might cost to do a build and I think that would be much more fun that buying one off the rack.

I don't have much of an idea of what to do from here, but I know this is the place to learn!

I like the look of the M4 but I'm open to suggestions and advice. I want something fully auto capable, but that's pretty much all I know. I don't know terms or names of parts, or any of that.

What would be the first part or kit you'd recommend buying?

Can't wait!
    "A Ship in Harbor is safe, but that's not what ships are for."

(Northampton County)

Default Re: New B! Need some how-to

Welcome!

If you want something full auto in the AR platform the first part is obviously a registered machinegun:

M16 or registered conversion: $9K to $25K
    Registered Drop-in Auto Sear (RDIAS) to convert an AR-15: $13K
    Lightening Link (LL) to convert AR-15: $7K

You haven't let on how much you know about these things. Do you have any specific questions?

(Chester County)

So being new the the AR world I was under the impression that most of the AR's here were full auto. Guessing that I was wrong!

I'd like to get something on the AR platform, in semi-auto I guess (3 round burst maybe?), in the $1,500-$2,000 range, something I can build myself over time as I have money.

I like the look of these two:

http://forum.pafoa.org/gun-pictures-...nov-4th-d.html

http://forum.pafoa.org/gun-pictures-...-finished.html

Suppose this goes to show how little I know, but any guidance would be of help.

(Lawrence County)

In your price range there is only semi-auto, but for $1200 you can build an .5 moa rifle.......

For $1500, you can build anything you want.

Lycanit'snothardthrope

I taught Chuck Norris to bump-fire.

(Chester County)

OK, well I like the "anything I want part" but I'm not sure what I want exactly. Any suggestions for the type of shooting that I'd like to do? Range shooting mostly. I want it cause I love to build things and I like guns too, so to some extent it's a hobby that I'd like to start. So, I suppose I'd like advice, acknowledging that I like the to aforementioned examples, on what would be a good first build. And...as I start to think about a build, aside from the paper work, is the first thing that I need parts wise, a receiver?

(Delaware County)

It won't be a machine gun if it's all new. One shot per trigger pull is all you get. ARs are not machine guns. They're simply modular, semi-automatic rifles. The only thing special about them is their customizability.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Smartguns View Post
    OK, well I like the "anything I want part" but I'm not sure what I want exactly. Any suggestions for the type of shooting that I'd like to do? Range shooting mostly. I want it cause I love to build things and I like guns too, so to some extent it's a hobby that I'd like to start. So, I suppose I'd like advice, acknowledging that I like the to aforementioned examples, on what would be a good first build. And...as I start to think about a build, aside from the paper work, is the first thing that I need parts wise, a receiver?
    Like others have stated, in your price range a semi auto AR15 is what you can get. If you want full auto or burst, you need to spend the money stated in the post above. Semi autos are AR15's, full autos are M16's.

You picked a bad time to get into an AR15 build. With Obama in office now, there are very few parts available for AR builds.

If you are set on building one yourself, you'll need to find a lower receiver and buy a complete parts kit. You can purchase the lower from a gun shop. The lower is considered the firearm, so, for the most part you need to go thru a gun shop to get one. The parts kit can be bought on line and shipped directly to your door.

For a general plinker, i'd look for whatever lower you can find then get a 16" flat top parts kit. The parts kit will include the complete upper, lower parts kit and stock. You can pick whatever supplier you want to get these. I'd stick with a 1/9 twist barrel and a chrome lined barrel / chamber and an m4 profile barrel.

After you're done surfing the net and figure out what you want---come back here with specific questions and we can help you get it built.

(Chester County)

Here is some info from Brownells (a PAFOA sponsor judging by the banner ad I see up top). Looks like some good info, tons of videos and it looks like step by step guides as well as listing the parts they have for sale for each of the steps.

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/Gun...p=0&t=1&i=1103

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dKHQGSzjdZ0