Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Chester County)

Default An Update on the British Gun Ban

For all those who don't know, I wrote an article on the British gun ban and why it hasn't reduced crime. It can be viewed by clicking the link in my signature.

I came across this article today in the Telegraph;

Armed officers placed on routine foot patrol for first time

Police officers armed with submachine guns are to be deployed on routine patrol of Britain's streets for the first time.

By Matthew Moore
    Published: 1:43PM BST 22 Oct 2009

A hand-picked team from CO19, the Metropolitan Police's elite firearms unit, will walk the beat in gun crime hotspots where armed gangs have turned entire estates into "no go" zones.

The officers will carry Heckler & Koch MP5 submachine guns – capable of firing up to 800 rounds-per-minute – and Glock semi-automatic pistols.

CO19 currently provides armed support in volatile situations like sieges and terrorist attacks, with its officers on constant call in vehicles around London.

It is the first time that armed officers will be sent on permanent foot patrol anywhere in the country outside Northern Ireland.

"Historically, CO19 was only called out when someone rang up to report a gun crime," said Inspector Derek Carroll, head of the new unit.

"But a lot of streets in London have young people in postcode gangs, aged 14 and upwards, and a lot of communities feel that they are controlling areas of estates.

"We are looking at gangs that have access to firearms and will be robust in dealing with them and disrupting and deterring them."

The team of 18 constables, led by an inspector and two sergeants, will begin their patrols of Brixton, Haringey and Tottenham on Nov 9, following successful trial schemes.

The officers – some on motorbikes – will carrying out weapon "sweeps" of their neighbourhoods in an effort to deter gang members from carrying guns, and are also intended to be a reassuring presence for residents.

"My view is that just because you carry a gun, it should not affect the way you police," Inspector Carroll added. "We chat to people and they love it."

Gun-related crime is on the increase in London with 1,736 gun crimes reported in London between April and September this year – up 17 per cent on 2008.

The problem of turf violence between drugs gangs was highlighted earlier this month with a spate of shootings in north London linked to two Turkish gangs, the Tottenham Boys and the Bombacilar.

Unlike their counterparts in the United States, British police officers not routinely carry guns, although armed patrols are frequently deployed in the aftermath of shootings and to guard potential terrorist targets.

In October 2000 armed officers on the beat were temporarily introduced in Nottingham after a string of drug-related deaths.

The Police Federation, which represents rank-and-file officers, has long campaigned against attempts to arm a larger section of the force, but said it had no objection to the new scheme.

"If that's where the gun crime is then that's where the armed officers should be," said Peter Smyth of the Metropolitan Police Federation.

Officers from CO19, formerly known as SO19, have been involved in a number of high-profile incidents in the capital, including the shooting of Jean Charles de Menezes at Stockwell station in 2005.
    Thomas Jefferson was a wise man;

"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined or determined to commit crimes. Such laws only make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assassins; they serve to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man."
    Last edited by buster2209; October 22nd, 2009 at 01:47 PM.

(Lackawanna County)

Default Re: An Update on the British Gun Ban

Quote Originally Posted by buster2209 View Post
    For all those who don't know, I wrote an article on the British gun ban and why he hasn't reduced crime. It can be viewed by clicking the link in my signature.

I came across this article today in the Telegraph;
    It's not if America becomes like this,it's when America becomes like this.
    Watch the government,watch the laws they enact. Start teaching your children at a young age about the Constitution, proper use of fire arms,politness and civility and charity. Remember you are not born an American citizen,you become an American citizen by what you are taught and how you conduct yourself based on those teachings.
    Government 99 and 44/100 % pure bullshit.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by redeye202 View Post
    It's not if America becomes like this,it's when America becomes like this.
    I don't know about that. The firearm in America is a symbol of freedom, it isn't likely to be be banned without a fight

Quote Originally Posted by redeye202 View Post
    Watch the government,watch the laws they enact. Start teaching your children at a young age about the Constitution, proper use of fire arms,politness and civility and charity. Remember you are not born an American citizen,you become an American citizen by what you are taught and how you conduct yourself based on those teachings.
    Yup, education, education, education

Also teach them about rights. Explain to them that with rights come responsibilities, they go hand in hand, like peanut butter and jelly!

(Monroe County)

Really? They think they should have armed officers patrolling where the criminals are committing gun crimes? Damn, this makes no sense!

Sarcasm.
    Quote Originally Posted by headcase View Post
    let them eventually bring the FBI to kill my wife and son over fucking chickens....

Now Britain wants to ban 1 pint glasses from bars because they are being used in too many fights according to 1st Freedom magazine.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Franky4Fingers View Post
    Now Britain wants to ban 1 pint glasses from bars because they are being used in too many fights according to 1st Freedom magazine.
    See this.

They've been trying to do this for a while but they wont be successful.

Sadly, like owning a firearm is symbol of freedom in America, the British pubs are seen as symbol of Britishness, glass pint an all.

(Northumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by Franky4Fingers View Post
    PLEASE tell me that was sarcasm! If that was serious, that's really sad. I can see it now....Some old guy's sitting at a bar, telling all the young fellas "Yeah, back in my day we drank out of real pint glasses and mason jars....damn I miss those days" (as he himself is drinking out of a red plastic Solo cup).

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Rural Ruger View Post
    PLEASE tell me that was sarcasm! If that was serious, that's really sad. I can see it now....Some old guy's sitting at a bar, telling all the young fellas "Yeah, back in my day we drank out of real pint glasses and mason jars....damn I miss those days" (as he himself is drinking out of a red plastic Solo cup).
    No joke. See this.