Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Campus Alert

(Columbia County)

Default Campus Alert

I was checking my university email account this morning and noticed this email:

Campus Alert

This campus alert is issued in accordance with the Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Police and Crime Statistics Act of 1990.

At approximately 2:49 a.m. on Saturday, October 17, 2009, a Bloomsburg University student was stabbed in the abdomen with a sharp object. The assault took place near the Unimart. A male subject is described as an African American male, approximately 5’08” in height, stocky build, wearing blue jeans and a yellow sweatshirt with “Bloomsburg University” printed on the front. The subject was reported to be last seen on the catwalk, entering campus in the area of Montour and Schuylkill halls. The Town of Bloomsburg Police Department is investigating the incident. Any information as to the identity of this individual should be provided to the Town of Bloomsburg Police Department at 784-6779.

The University recommends that students always walk in groups and keep a cell phone readily accessible. In case of an emergency, students should call 389-4168. For your safety, there are emergency call boxes available throughout campus. If you are in town and need help call 911.
    It got me thinking about just how ridiculous it is to have gun-free campuses. This scumbag stabs someone in the abdomen, then retreats to campus where he knows it is a safe haven for him because the people are unarmed. It was only a couple or so months ago that another student was robbed at gunpoint. Now, BU isn't exactly a dangerous campus like Temple, for example, but it just seems ludicrous that we provide these safe havens for criminals while bullying gun owners.

Default Re: Campus Alert

Same shit at Lock Haven.... Now that I have my degree I can say I kept my gun in my car while at school... Yea it was kinda far away... but at least I knew where it was... I rather have it in my car then my Apt.. Kinda in a bad area... Always had it on my when I was off campus... There was always stuff goin on there... Be safe... When I was on campus I had a pocket knife...
    ΑΣΦ

(Philadelphia County)

Cell phones: providing deterrence against criminals since...uh...never.

Quote Originally Posted by H.E. Pennypacker View Post
    Cell phones: providing deterrence against criminals since...uh...never.
    It can! you can throw it realy hard... and myabe if your lucky you will hit them in their eye...
    ΑΣΦ

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by Adam M Geer View Post
    It can! you can throw it realy hard... and myabe if your lucky you will hit them in their eye...

Its your own personal decision, but if carry is "against policy" but not "against the law", I....., well you can fill in the rest. Personally, being defenseless against an attacker or crazy person and relying on "campus security" to protect me is against MY policy!! Two words for you: Concealed Carry
    Saint Michael the Archangel, defend us in battle. Amen. **PROUD III**

(Northumberland County)

It's always Bloom. Riots, drunken parties, muggings, gun incidents, this...on and on. Part of it is that we have half of Philly (no offense intended to the sensible citizens of Philly) living up here. On a side note, I'm pretty sure the stabbing wasn't technically on campus property. BUT, yeah, I'd be supportive of guns on campus IF there were some sort of testing/extra background checks. Without the testing though, no way. There are too many drunken fools on campus so as it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Kb! Bob View Post
    Its your own personal decision, but if carry is "against policy" but not "against the law", I....., well you can fill in the rest. Personally, being defenseless against an attacker or crazy person and relying on "campus security" to protect me is against MY policy!! Two words for you: Concealed Carry
    This.

I'd much rather risk being expelled from school than risk being dead because some pencil-pushing liberal bureaucrat is scared of my handgun.

(Venango County)

Quote Originally Posted by Kb! Bob View Post
    AMEN!!! I made it through college at Penn State Erie with a KelTec P3AT in my front pocket the whole time.

(Montgomery County)

The policies against legal gun possession on campus is bad enough. However, many schools have found a way to make it worse. I found this little nugget of knowledge while going through my schools handbook:

"XXXXXXXXX University Police Officers may also initiate campus judicial board proceedings for violations of the Student Code of Conduct as a sole process for incident resolution or in addition to criminal charges."

I protected the name of the school I attend for privacy reasons.

My school has a real deal police department with bona fide police officers. Since the Police work for the University, they can also enforce University Policy. I am not sure where or if this has been tested in court, yet I can imagine the abuses of power that have taken place in this type of department as well as the others around PA and the country.

This brings great questions about burden of proof, RAS and search and seizure.
    Join the groups protecting your rights from the fools trying to take them from you!

Quote Originally Posted by Steve_NEPhila View Post
    The policies against legal gun possession on campus is bad enough. However, many schools have found a way to make it worse. I found this little nugget of knowledge while going through my schools handbook:

"XXXXXXXXX University Police Officers may also initiate campus judicial board proceedings for violations of the Student Code of Conduct as a sole process for incident resolution or in addition to criminal charges."

I protected the name of the school I attend for privacy reasons.

My school has a real deal police department with bona fide police officers. Since the Police work for the University, they can also enforce University Policy. I am not sure where or if this has been tested in court, yet I can imagine the abuses of power that have taken place in this type of department as well as the others around PA and the country.

This brings great questions about burden of proof, RAS and search and seizure.
    University Policy != Criminal Law

They cannot even compel you to participate in their silly little government wannabe process. It is not a crime to OC or CC a firearm on a university campus. There is no way to test it in court because they do not have access to the criminal court to adjudicate campus policy violations anyway.

If the university wants to claim that they have municipal standing for prosecuting crimes against "university policy" in PA criminal court, then fine, let them be a municipality subject to 18 Pa.C.S. 6120 like everyone else and shove that no firearm policy right up their collective cornholes.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast