Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Ruger LCP

(Lawrence County)

Default The Ruger LCP

Just picked up a Ruger LCP so I can carry something in the event that I can not carry my 1911.

I like it so far, it's light, small, barely noticable.

I was curious of who else has one of these? And what sort of useful little accessories are out there.

(Northumberland County)

Default Re: The Ruger LCP

I picked one up late last winter. So far so good... except for finding ammo. I picked up 2 WWB value packs within 2 weeks of purchasing the LCP and haven't seen anything other that high-dollar "defense" rounds since. The lack of ammo has really hurt my practice time with this pistol.

Accessory wise, I only have a holster. Desantis Nemesis pocket holster. I carry in my front pocket. Even when wearing jeans that will print, the holstered LCP prints "wallet" and not "gun".

Check out the ElsiePea Forum for some good LCP information.

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by PensDevil View Post
    Accessory wise, I only have a holster. Desantis Nemesis pocket holster. I carry in my front pocket. Even when wearing jeans that will print, the holstered LCP prints "wallet" and not "gun".

+ 1 (10characters)
    Complete equality isn't compatible with democracy, but it is agreeable to totalitarianism. After all the only way to ensure the equality of the slothful, the inept and the immoral is to suppress everyone else. - Iain Benson

(Allegheny County)

I like the extended grip mags. Make it much easier to hold onto.

I have a pocket holster and a "Kholster" for IWB.

AIM just got some 380 in.

(York County)

I have a Ruger P345 that was my main carry gun & I bought a NAA Guardian in .380 that I thought would just be for extra concealed carry situations & as a BUG...
    Unless I'm OC I tend to go for the Guardian every time lately. It's just much more comfortable to carry, the holster I have for it is much nicer than the one I have for the .45 & I feel just as safe even though there was a time I would've said anyone who carrys any caliber smaller than .45 is crazy.
    I guess I've converted.
    I do still think the .45 is the best gun to have if tshtf but I also want to be as comfortable as possible on a daily basis, & the .380 is better than no gun.

I looked at the LCP but went with the NAA due to stainless construction vs plastic. Just a personal preferance.
    Let us never forget the sacrifice of those who have fought for us all.

(Monroe County)

I do not have the LCP but I do have the p3at which is essentially the same thing. I love it and it resides in my pocket when i'm home or if I cannot conceal my Glock when I go out.

I have found some useful accessories for it as well. Many people say an added grip is good for these guns and I agree. I went through several grips before I found KT addons. I purchased the recoil pads which go on the front and back of the grip, give slight reduction in felt recoil. I also use their slip on grip which is perfectly molded for these pistols. I found I would have to trim the other ones and they just never were completely snug around the entire area.
    I also added a crimson trace laser grip. I know this is a "belly gun" but with the crimson trace I was able to tighten my groups when hip shooting out to a few feet and my abiltiy to use this gun at greater distances also increased. Prior to the crimson trace I was comfortable making a head shot at 3 to 4 yards and COM out to 7-10. After adding the laser I make head shots at 7-10 yards and COM out to 15-20 or farther if staging the trigger.
    I use a Desantis pocket holster and have found it to stay put in my pocket and easily slips of when drawing.

Hope this helps and enjoy your new pistol.

(Jefferson County)

I bought a few of the extended magazine floor plates and a Crimson Trace laser. The main drawback to the pistol is how low profile the sights are--I can't see them quickly during the day, and can't see them at all at night. The laser helps alleviate the problem. I would suggest you stick to FMJ ammunition for the gun. It feeds other stuff fine in my experience, but .380ACP isn't exactly a powerhouse cartridge that is going to make a deep hole with a hollow point.

As far as ammo goes, it's not that hard to get. Just check a few websites a few times a day, and a couple times a week check at Walmart until you find some. I got a 100 round Winchester white box of .380 for $40 a few weeks ago, to augment the boxes of Prvi Partizan I haven't shot yet. Be patient and snatch a lot up when you find some for a good price--because you will want to practice with the LCP. Small pistols take a good bit of work to not be a lousy shot with one.

Good luck with your new gun!

(York County)

LCP is a nice little pistol, especially as a BUG.
    Just an extended grip mag and a pocket holster here. I bought a spare mag from Ruger. They aren't cheap!! This one was $33. Standard mag though, and I do suggest buying the extended grip magazines.
    Doubt I'll purchase any other goodies (except for one or two more extended grip mags).

Ammo is easier to find...just don't expect to pick up a box each trip to the gunshop.
    Last edited by RoyJackson; November 13th, 2009 at 06:43 PM.
    Well, pushed 60 too hard so now I am the big SIX-OH. Now I can be a real pain in the ass! And, who says growin' old isn't fun!!

(Cumberland County)

Picked mine up a month or two ago. Got an extra mag, found Ruger oem for $19 with foot on gunbroker. I posted a great handmade pancake holster I found on ebay which is real nice - I don't like the feel of iwb holsters and the pancake keeps the gun nice and tight so even with a tshirt untucked, you can't notice it. I was thinking about a crimson - but don't see the usefulness of one on such a small close quarters bug.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by 87th PVI View Post
    I have a Ruger P345 that was my main carry gun & I bought a NAA Guardian in .380 that I thought would just be for extra concealed carry situations & as a BUG...
    Unless I'm OC I tend to go for the Guardian every time lately. It's just much more comfortable to carry, the holster I have for it is much nicer than the one I have for the .45 & I feel just as safe even though there was a time I would've said anyone who carrys any caliber smaller than .45 is crazy.
    I guess I've converted.
    I do still think the .45 is the best gun to have if tshtf but I also want to be as comfortable as possible on a daily basis, & the .380 is better than no gun.

I looked at the LCP but went with the NAA due to stainless construction vs plastic. Just a personal preferance.
    I had an NAA Guardian and loved the solid feel of it. However, it's wayyyy too heavy to ankle carry compared to the LCP. It weighs almost 2x the LCP. The advantage though was that the recoil was significantly less than the LCP. Mine has a 12lbs Colorado Police trigger (vs. the standard 12lbs) and was great for finger muscle exercise (I'm serious). NAA has great customer service too.

Quote Originally Posted by levib View Post
    I bought a few of the extended magazine floor plates and a Crimson Trace laser. The main drawback to the pistol is how low profile the sights are--I can't see them quickly during the day, and can't see them at all at night. The laser helps alleviate the problem. I would suggest you stick to FMJ ammunition for the gun. It feeds other stuff fine in my experience, but .380ACP isn't exactly a powerhouse cartridge that is going to make a deep hole with a hollow point.

As far as ammo goes, it's not that hard to get. Just check a few websites a few times a day, and a couple times a week check at Walmart until you find some. I got a 100 round Winchester white box of .380 for $40 a few weeks ago, to augment the boxes of Prvi Partizan I haven't shot yet. Be patient and snatch a lot up when you find some for a good price--because you will want to practice with the LCP. Small pistols take a good bit of work to not be a lousy shot with one.

Good luck with your new gun!
    Paint a small white line on the front site, it will help you A LOT. You can also use glow in the dark paint to do the job too. My wife's LCP has the front sight painted, mine doesn't. HUGE difference in sight picture. I'll be painting mine with glow in the dark paint soon.

Quote Originally Posted by RoyJackson View Post
    LCP is a nice little pistol, especially as a BUG.
    Just an extended grip mag and a pocket holster here. I bought a spare mag from Ruger. They aren't cheap!! This one was $33. Standard mag though, and I do suggest buying the extended grip magazines.
    Doubt I'll purchase any other goodies (except for one or two more extended grip mags).

Ammo is easier to find...just don't expect to pick up a box each trip to the gunshop.
    I've seen spares for $20/ea on various forums' classifieds. I don't know if I like the finger extensions. I don't have very big hand, but my pinky still hangs off the extension so my 4th and pinky fingers end up in between the extension, making the extension useless.

Grinnen13, while ankle carry is the last on body alternative, you may find that method useful from time to time so consider an ankle holster. The LCP is really a point and shoot (i.e no aim) gun, so I wouldn't struggle too much with the sight. Get a laser if you can afford one, I'm considering one for my wife's LCP. Practice no-aim shooting at the range. It's definitely NOT a fun range gun, but you do need to practice to not be so surprised about the feisty recoil.

Al

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast