Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: .44 Mag

(Pike County)

Wink .44 Mag

I shot an S&W .44 mag today. Couldn't tell you the model number but it was a big effing gun. The recoil wasn't as bad as I thought it was and the SA/DA trigger made my groups tight. Thanks to the guy who let me shoot it at Classic Pistol tonight. I never caught the guys name or even get a chance to say thanks but I really appreciated it.

So now I want to shoot other magnums, it made my glock 23 feel like a cap gun immediately afterwards. What/when was the first time you shot a magnum or any other +p type ammo? Stories? Experiences? I liked it, I feel like a man now...

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: .44 Mag

Quote Originally Posted by kwijibo52 View Post
    I shot an S&W .44 mag today. Couldn't tell you the model number but it was a big effing gun. The recoil wasn't as bad as I thought it was and the SA/DA trigger made my groups tight. Thanks to the guy who let me shoot it at Classic Pistol tonight. I never caught the guys name or even get a chance to say thanks but I really appreciated it.

So now I want to shoot other magnums, it made my glock 23 feel like a cap gun immediately afterwards. What/when was the first time you shot a magnum or any other +p type ammo? Stories? Experiences? I liked it, I feel like a man now...
    I bought a Ruger Redhawk somewhere about 1982.

I bought a box of rounds and went off into the woods to try her out.

Didn't have hearing protection. Shot 4 rounds and couldn't hear anymore. I now have tinnitis (sp).

I still have the gun, take it and shoot it at the groupshoots i attend and shot my first pistol deer with it this past hunting season.

Here it is: http://s209.photobucket.com/albums/b...t=100_1644.flv

27likesthe.44maghand
    Opinions are like anal apertures. They all stink but mine.

(Luzerne County)

I've owned, huunted with and shot my Ruger Super Redhawk for years. Of all the handguns I own, this is probably my favorite one to shoot.

(Chester County)

Prolly a 29. Mine has a reeeeeeaaaaal light trigger so I have to practice all the safety skills before getting my booger hook anywhere near the bang switch. I like shooting with gloves, but I think my 29 is the only gun I have where I have to where the gloves if I want to go through several cylinders. The checkered stock irritates my hand a bit, but the gloves got rid of that right away.

Maybe it's my inexperience, but I didn't see a difference between 25 yds and 50 using my 29 with an 8" barrel, so next time I'll try 75 yds to see if it starts dropping.

I'll tell you it's a thing of beauty when you take 6 shots and only find 3 holes in the paper
    You are a straight white man. You don't get to be the victim, sweetie.

Bought a Blackhawk .44 when they were new. They serial number puts it in the first few months of production (5***). It has been one of my keepers for 50 yrs. (does this make me old?) It is the most honest best shooting thing in the safe. It has had 1000's of rounds through it and is still going strong.
    When it was purchased I was told that the company was new and the warranty might not be good. When younger shooters get on me about all of the wear on a collectible handgun, I tell them that full retail was $89.95 and it was considered a cheap shooter. There was even some talk about them being unsafe because of the cylinder walls, in consession to this we mainly shoot hot .44 Special loads and leave the really hot loads for the .44 Super Blackhawk.
    Courage is being scared to death--but saddling up any way. John Wayne

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by phill View Post
    Bought a Blackhawk .44 when they were new. They serial number puts it in the first few months of production (5***). It has been one of my keepers for 50 yrs. (does this make me old?)
    Yes, but at least you're proud enough to put it in your public profile, some of us try to keep our age on the down low, only to inadvertantly give it away playing Picture Battle and Word Association. (Hint you say Speedy, I say Alka-Seltzer, definitely gives a +/- 5 year range to work with.)
    You are a straight white man. You don't get to be the victim, sweetie.

(Lehigh County)

My carry gun is a S&W 329pd. It's a monster, but once you get used to the kick, it's a really accurate weapon. I've put about 600 rounds through it now, and yesterday I tried to put 150 240 grain rounds through it in 45 minutes. I found that after about 70 rounds, I really started to lose my accuracy. I think it was the heat it was putting off. It was like trying to focus while holding a hot ember. I made it through 130 rounds and had to stop because it tore a nice chunk of flesh out of my right hand. I've got rubber grips and the combo of the rubber plus the heat (sweaty hands) plus the enormous recoil, did my palm in. It was still fun trying to do it. The range master looked at me like I was insane when I left.

Nothing in the world like a hand canon is there? I have a Ruger Blackhawk Hunter that I just freaking love .... soon as the money frees up around here I intend to buy a Redhawk.

The thing I love about them reminds me of the old line from Dirty Harry where the captain asks Harry why he carries that canon, he replies "Because I hit what I aim at" and by god its true. I am three times more accurate with my 44 than any other gun I own!
    Last edited by dc dalton; June 15th, 2008 at 05:32 PM.

(Dauphin County)

I've hunted with this one...
    My Smith & Wesson 629-2 Classic Hunter 8 3/8" with Leupold base, rings and 4x Scope...

And this one also...
    My Smith & Wesson 629-3 Classic 6 1/2"...

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by kwijibo52 View Post
    I shot an S&W .44 mag today. Couldn't tell you the model number but it was a big effing gun. The recoil wasn't as bad as I thought it was and the SA/DA trigger made my groups tight. ...
    Was it Dirty Harry`s SW #29 or the stainless 629?

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast