Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Lancaster County)

Default transfer question

So does anyone know if you need to transfer a TC Contender through a FFL?

Barrel and frame
    No longer posting

(Luzerne County)

Default Re: transfer question

If it was bought as a pistol, yes......transfer must go through the FFL.

(Lancaster County)

bought the frame and barrel seperate.
    No longer posting

(Westmoreland County)

Did you fill out the necessary paper work when buying either item. If not, I'd say you have an illegal firearm in PA. Hope that it's not used in any illegal activity and traced back to you. If you bought a handgun in PA before the laws became as strict as they are today, or if you purchased a handgun from a dealer 15 to 20 years ago and he might no longer be in business, selling it maybe the wrong thing to do. I bought a couple hanguns and a shotgun in a state that I was stationed in when I was in the military. It was a store similar to a Wal-Mart(I don't even remember the name). The salesman wrote my name and the serial number of the handguns in a tablet. When that store went out of business, I wonder what happened to that tablet. I don't remember if there was a 3 day waiting period or if I walked out of the place with the gun the same day. As far as I'm concerned, these guns are collector items. I won't try to sell them. They may or may not be registered.

(Jefferson County)

If it is a handgun with a barrel less than 15" - it must be transferred properly. If it were transferred prior in PA as a handgun with a barrel less than 15", but you/they have since put a >15" barrel on it, its a good chance it will still need to be lawfully transferred as well(knowing the PSP, Fast Eddie, and the latest AR15 thing).

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by bert View Post
    Did you fill out the necessary paper work when buying either item. If not, I'd say you have an illegal firearm in PA. Hope that it's not used in any illegal activity and traced back to you. If you bought a handgun in PA before the laws became as strict as they are today, or if you purchased a handgun from a dealer 15 to 20 years ago and he might no longer be in business, selling it maybe the wrong thing to do. I bought a couple hanguns and a shotgun in a state that I was stationed in when I was in the military. It was a store similar to a Wal-Mart(I don't even remember the name). The salesman wrote my name and the serial number of the handguns in a tablet. When that store went out of business, I wonder what happened to that tablet. I don't remember if there was a 3 day waiting period or if I walked out of the place with the gun the same day. As far as I'm concerned, these guns are collector items. I won't try to sell them. They may or may not be registered.

There is no registration in PA.

Federal law started recording transfers in 1968 and the FFL retains the info. If they go out of business, the ATF receives the record of transfers.

I'm not sure when PA started recording transfers, but I'm gonna guess in 1972 or prior.

Other states handle/record differently. Most only use the federal standard with the FFL retaining the 4473's for record for commercial purposes.

Chambersburg PA (Pure Appalachia), Pennsylvania
    (Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by riverpirate View Post
    bought the frame and barrel seperate.
    If you bought the reciever separately, probably only that part qualifies as a "firearm". The barrel would just be an accessory.

Flash

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    There is no registration in PA.

Federal law started recording transfers in 1968 and the FFL retains the info. If they go out of business, the ATF receives the record of transfers.

I'm not sure when PA started recording transfers, but I'm gonna guess in 1972 or prior.

Other states handle/record differently. Most only use the federal standard with the FFL retaining the 4473's for record for commercial purposes.
    So you are telling me when I buy a gun at a gun shop or gun show. The paperwork that I fill out with the gun description and serial number is only being transfered to me. It is not being registered. And the FFL retains the info. That info doesn't show up on any Federal Agency Computer unless the FFL goes out of business. I find that hard to believe? Is that only Pennsylvania's policy or do other states follow the same procedures.

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by bert View Post
    So you are telling me when I buy a gun at a gun shop or gun show. The paperwork that I fill out with the gun description and serial number is only being transfered to me. It is not being registered. And the FFL retains the info. That info doesn't show up on any Federal Agency Computer unless the FFL goes out of business. I find that hard to believe? Is that only Pennsylvania's policy or do other states follow the same procedures.
    The federal 4473 is only retained by the FFL and only sent to the ATF upon the FFL going out of business. The ATF, FBI, CIA, and any other alphabet entity knows nothing of what you own and buy - except NFA weapons which are truly registered with the ATF. That is federal and uniform across the entire country. A federal registration of standard guns(handguns, rifles, shotguns) is against federal law, outlawed IIRC by the Firearm Owners Protection Act of 1986 Title 18, Ch.44, § 926 and incorporated also as part of the law that created the NICS system to prevent the NICS system as well from being used as a registry..

For handgun, SBS and SBR("firearms") transfers in PA, the additional form that you fill out from the State Police is recorded in their "database". Guns that you brought into PA when you move here, made from scratch, received from parents/children/spouses/grandparents/grandchildren are in no means required to be put in that database. It is only a record of transfers of "firearms" that have taken place within the state.

Of the entire 50 states, only a few record transfers like PA does - cant remember them all, but I know NJ and PA do, and suspect IL, MA and NC.

Only 5 states have a state/local gun registration - HI, NY, MD, MI and CA.

(Westmoreland County)

I said "registration" referring to "transfer paper work". Apples and oranges I guess. So as stated when buying a handgun in PA, FFL keeps paperwork, does the computer check and the transfer turns up in the State Police data base. If I get stopped in a state that recognizes my PA right to carry licence, and for some reason the trooper wants to see my handgun. If he wants to check the serial number of the gun, perhaps to see if it was purchased legally. How does he check on it?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast