Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Warren County)

Default "Backpack" rifles. Any experiences?

I've been pondering selling my Mossberg 702 Plinkster .22lr rifle and picking up a folding "survival" rifle. Does anyone have experience with any of the "backpack" rifles?
    Here's what I'm leaning towards since it breaks down so small and has A nice mag variety available. (Standard 8-round magazine. 10, 15, 25, 50 round magazines available.)

http://www.henryrepeating.com/h002_survival.cfm

I know there's a few other companies that make "survival" rifles, some even have a 410 and 22 single shots.

Does anyone have experiences with these?
    Any pros/cons of them?
    Zone1
    My Glock does 1d6+3 dmg, but my 18 dex makes up for that...

(Snyder County)

Default Re: "Backpack" rifles. Any experiences?

I think the idea of a survival rifle is a good idea and I plan to use my AR15 for just that.

But in my opinion, the 22LR is just too small of a bullet to be a suitable survival rifle. I would want something that I can use for protection (from whatever) as well as providing me with sustenance. If you are set on something folding, check out Ket-Tec rifles. They are light and have a folding stock. And can be had for pretty cheap. The Kel-Tec Sub-2000 is a nice inexpensive rifle that fires cheap handgun ammo. But my choice would be the Kel-Tec SU-16A rifle. This uses readily available and inexpensive 5.56 NATO rounds, is very accurate, light, and fairly low price. Or any of the other SU-16 models would work as well. Check them out!

Glade Mill Lake, Cooperstown, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

If you want a cool folding .22 springfield armory makes a over under .22/.410 that is pretty neat. I shot one at the group shoot but I don't remember who's it was. It was cool though.

(Luzerne County)

How about one of the folding Kel Tec Sub-2000's? A bit more oomph than a 22 and about the same packed size.
    Guns are good.
    If you can't fry it you shouldn't eat it
    Loud pipes save lives
    Mom spelled backwards spells....mom
    "Please don't squeeze the Charmin." ~ Mr. Whipple

(Snyder County)

Quote Originally Posted by Holleta View Post
    How about one of the folding Kel Tec Sub-2000's? A bit more oomph than a 22 and about the same packed size.
    Hey!! Good idea! I wish I would have thought of that!!!

Tried and true, 10/22, folding stock, of course.

(Luzerne County)

Duh! I guess someone was not paying much attention (that someone would be me)

Seems like a decent deal on a AR-7 http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...?Item=89928277

(I hope nobody else posted this link)

Quote Originally Posted by Zef_66 View Post
    Hey!! Good idea! I wish I would have thought of that!!!
    Guns are good.
    If you can't fry it you shouldn't eat it
    Loud pipes save lives
    Mom spelled backwards spells....mom
    "Please don't squeeze the Charmin." ~ Mr. Whipple

(Warren County)

Quote Originally Posted by Zef_66 View Post
    I think the idea of a survival rifle is a good idea and I plan to use my AR15 for just that.
    I'm thinking of a bug out situation where I'll be using my AR15 for personal defense and long range zed/raider hits. I will be carrying plenty of 5.56/.223 for personal defense, but the AR is just a tad too loud and will draw lots of attention. A .22 for the small animals will be very nice.

The .22 projectile is suitable for small game in a survival situation; squirrel, birds, etc.. In this neck of the woods, there's plenty of small game.

When TSHTF I'll be backpacking when the Jeep fails or runs out of fuel. I plan to have 3-7 days of food, clothing, and weaponry to get to my BOL(bug out location) where I have supplies. I will have on me in my travels, AR15 in plain site with mags in pouches on a load bearing vest, Glock 19 with two extra mags in a drop leg holster, and a small caliber rifle for survival folded and inside or attached to my pack.

Quote Originally Posted by p11-shooter
    If you want a cool folding .22 springfield armory makes a over under .22/.410 that is pretty neat. I shot one at the group shoot but I don't remember who's it was. It was cool though.
    Did you shoot both the 22 and the 410? are they semi auto or single shot? (I'm going to google it after I hit post)
    How did you do with it?
    Was it accurate?
    Was it comfortable?
    Easy to shoot/reload/etc..?

Quote Originally Posted by sjl127 View Post
    Tried and true, 10/22, folding stock, of course.
    Even with a folding stock, I think the 10/22 is too large for inside a backpack.

Does anyone else have experience with any "backpack" rifles?

My other option is to put a suppressor on my AR, but I don't like the idea of relying on only 1 rifle in the PAW.
    Last edited by sinful; January 17th, 2008 at 10:13 PM.
    Zone1

Quote Originally Posted by sinful View Post
    Does anyone have experience with any of the "backpack" rifles?...

Does anyone have experiences with these?
    Any pros/cons of them?
    Yes, I had one. It was an early Armalite AR-7, essentially the same gun Henry markets now. I didn't have any trouble with mine.

I have a few observations, though.
    • It came with a low capacity magazine (I recall somewhere about eight rounds). Everything nests in the buttstock, and there isn't room for *anything* else. If you get extra mags, or an oversize mag, you'll need to stow that somewhere else.
    • The buttplate slips over the buttstock and snaps in place with a molded plastic dimple. It lacks a positive latch. I never lost anything, but if it were dropped and the cover popped off, parts *will* fly.
    • The Keltec and the M6 scout have an advantage over the AR-7: they both have all their parts "captured". Breaking down is simply folding them up. The AR-7 and it's descendants require disassembly, making lost parts an unfortunate possibility.
    • The AR-7 floats, and uses steel only where necessary. It does what it was designed to do. If I were part of a nautical activity (say, tubing on the Delaware or canoeing), the AR-7 would be an excellent choice. It's also very light.
    • Accessorizing: Lots of options. My rifle lacked any provision for a scope, I think the newer ones can accept a scope. It kind of defeats the purpose, though. Lack of a sling was a common complaint with the early ones, this may have been resolved.
    Related articles:

http://www.chuckhawks.com/survival_rifles.htm
    http://survival.com/IVB/lofiversion/...php?t6415.html
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AR-7
    Gloria: "65 percent of the people murdered in the last 10 years were killed by hand guns"
    Archie Bunker: "would it make you feel better, little girl, if they was pushed outta windows?"

http://www.moviewavs.com/TV_Shows/Al...he_Family.html

(Warren County)

You've proviede a great help and some good links/reading. I'll have to do some more research...

You mention a very valid point about the fold-n-go vs the actual break down and make a mess versions.

Off to read!
    Zone1

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast