Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: Pellet Guns...

(Montgomery County)

Default Pellet Guns...

Does anybody have information on the legality of shooting a pellet gun on private property in Montgomery County?

Thanks!

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Pellet Guns...

Lower Merion Ordinance

§ 151-1.1 Air guns prohibited.
    [Added 1-24-2004 by Ord. No. 3700]
    A.

It shall be unlawful and it is hereby prohibited for any person, persons, firms or corporations to store, sell or offer or expose for sale at retail or have in their possession in the Township of Lower Merion any air gun, air pistol or spring gun or any implement not a firearm which impels with force a pellet of any kind. "At retail" shall mean any sale of less than one dozen such articles or any sale to anyone not a bona fide dealer therein.

(Philadelphia County)

The police WILL pull guns on your sorry behind if they even see them in Philly. I'm talking full orange deals... I assumed the surrounding areas were just as toy friendly.

Interesting that I can walk down the street with a .357 magnum on my hip and an AR strapped to my back, but WHOA -- air rifle and slingshot -- THAT's over the top!

They are in the wrong with this law. Please look at: United States Code, Title 15, section 5001, sections "g(i) and g(ii) at the very end. 5/nov/88

(Delaware County)

Radnor Twp (I know Del Co not Mont Co) has a similar ordinance. you can own a pellet gun, but you can't shoot it except at a range. Yeah, that's what I want to do, spend money at a range to shoot a single shot pellet gun.

I got a summary offense ticket for it a few years ago when shooting one in the back yard with my kids. I wasn't aware of the law, but I sure am now.

They confiscated the gun, and the ammo, asked me if I wanted the ticket written out in my name or the kid's name. Nice...

Asked him what the problem was, I had a 3/4" plywood backstop, and a 3/4" piece of plywood holding the targets, and we were shooting DOWN at the targets to make sure there would be no problem with stray shots.I was supervising, but none of that mattered. $385 ticket.

Considered arguing the legality of it, but didn't at the time. Probably should have, certainly would now.

As long as you're minding the 150 yard requirement for a "real gun", I can't see the issue, but the cop sure did.

Call your township, they'll have their own rules, I doubt there is a county wide one.

DM