Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (York County)

Question Green Ammo - safe to shoot?

A friend of mine recently picked up his first rifle. A surplus Lee-Enfield bolt-action.

He also acquired some surpluss ammo. But is concerned with whether it is safe too shoot. This is not something I have experience with, so I thought I'd ask you guys for input.

N.U.G.U.N. "New User of GUNs Blog"
    http://nugun.wordpress.com

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: Green Ammo - safe to shoot?

Quote Originally Posted by theSaj View Post
    A friend of mine recently picked up his first rifle. A surplus Lee-Enfield bolt-action.

He also acquired some surpluss ammo. But is concerned with whether it is safe too shoot. This is not something I have experience with, so I thought I'd ask you guys for input.
    Of course, if you DID shoot it, probably nothing bad would happen.

But theres no reason to risk even that minute chance that there is something horribly wrong with it. 5 rounds isn't worth it. I'd say go buy some fresh rounds.
    Last edited by StealthBeast; January 14th, 2009 at 02:38 PM. Reason: Quoted the bigassed image. Bad.

(Lehigh County)

Looks like rust/erosion - brass/copper casing turns green over time from erosion and rust - e.g. The Statue of Liberty.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by StealthBeast View Post
    Of course, if you DID shoot it, probably nothing bad would happen.

But theres no reason to risk even that minute chance that there is something horribly wrong with it. 5 rounds isn't worth it. I'd say go buy some fresh rounds.
    He actually has 30 rounds. And it's the only ammo he has for the rifle at this time.

Quote Originally Posted by TheMan42 View Post
    Looks like rust/erosion - brass/copper casing turns green over time from erosion and rust - e.g. The Statue of Liberty.
    Yes, I understand that copper will tarnish (ie: The Statue of Liberty).

But what I am looking for is whether it's safe for him to shoot it in a Lee-Enfield bolt-action or not?
    N.U.G.U.N. "New User of GUNs Blog"
    http://nugun.wordpress.com

(Cumberland County)

Just looks like light surface corrosion. The only thing I would have any concern about would be the casings structural integrity. Something that light surface corrosion SHOULDNT affect. Not being able to see them in person and to cover my ass I am telling you not to shoot those its dangerous. I would think your going to find that they werent stored properly over time and will probably have a high rate of dead rounds out of the 30 rounds. The stripper clip looks like its seen the elements and it appears there was condensation between the rounds as there are heavy deposits where the meet. I would clean them up before chambering them if thats what your ultimate decision is.

In the end its up to you. I have fired rounds with some oxidization but nothing quite as advanced as those rounds. If they got real scaley I just tossed them. I personally wouldnt be afraid to fire them but in all honesty, I would keep them for display as they look as period correct as it gets and buy some good fresh rounds.

(Chester County)

I have recovered ammunition that looked like that from diving old sunken WWII warships. The cases are usually compromised and sometimes contain water. It’s just not worth the chance of injury or damage. If you’re insistent on shooting them I would at the very least pull some of the bullets on the worst cases and carefully examine the inside of the case for deterioration as well as wet powder. There is also a good chance that some of them may not ignite. Hard to be sure from the picture but IMO those cases must have been subjected to a great deal of moisture for a long time and I would not use them.

(Berks County)

Looks like some of the "click....(delay)......BOOM" Pakistani .303 that is/was floating around.

I had a 30 round box of it myself, terrible stuff, delayed ignition on some. Pretty dirty...and stinky. I plinked away with it till it was gone.

It was about as green as yours is.

Inspect for neck splits, loose bullets etc.

If you are really worried about it, Give them to someone who reloads. I would tear them down, re-use the bullets, powder goes on the lawn, pop the primers in the rifle and recycle the brass.
    "Disperse you Rebels! Damn you! Throw down your Arms and Disperse!" British Major Pitcairn at Lexington April 19, 1775

"Sometimes reasonable men must do unreasonable things" Marvin Heemeyer