Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Chester County)

Default other nations gun laws

Just curious, do any other nations have less restrictive guns laws than in the US? I believe in parts of the UK or maybe it was one of the nordic countries, that you can buy a silencer over the counter for 30-50 dollars.

Anyone know of a more lax society on guns?
    Believe those who are seeking the truth; doubt those who find it.

(Lehigh County)

Default Re: other nations gun laws

I thought firearms were completely banned in the UK?

(Chester County)

Here is some info from wikipedia, it was finland i was referring to about the silencers.

Quote Originally Posted by wikipedia
    Legal regulation of suppressors varies widely around the world. In some nations, such as Finland, some or all types of suppressor are essentially unregulated and may be bought "over the counter" in retail stores or by mail-order as they are considered a great help, along with hearing protection, to preserve the hearing of the user and any onlookers. In these same countries, however, the firearms themselves are strictly controlled. Other nations, such as Canada, practically forbid private citizens from owning suppressors, while yet others, such as the United States, heavily tax and strictly regulate their manufacture and sale.

In the United States, it is legal in thirty-five of the fifty states for an individual to possess and use a suppressor; however, one must go through the National Firearms Act process administered by the ATF. Such transfers also require a Federal tax payment of US $200 and a thorough background check. Since suppressors are inexpensive to build, with models retailing in other countries for under US $40[3], the licensing and transfer tax restrictions result in suppressors being very expensive in the U.S., with similar models selling for US$400[4] not including transfer fees. Several states and municipalities explicitly ban any civilian possession of suppressors.

In the United Kingdom, sales of suppressors fall into four categories of use. For replica and air weapons, the purchase of a suppressor requires no license and in most cases, no identification requirement. For shotguns, these will probably require the presentation of the buyer's shotgun certificate but will not be recorded. For a small- or full-bore rifle, the firearm certificate (FAC) will need to show permission for the purchase of a suppressor and also the gun for which it is intended. All firearms certificates have the firearm and calibre approved by the police and annotated to the document before a silencer may be purchased. Police forces usually approve applications for a silencer for hunting and target shooters, as the risks of litigation for personal injury, especially high-tone deafness resulting from shooting-induced hearing loss, are significant; and noise pollution in general is a problem for shooting sports.

In Denmark, the Danish Weapons And Explosives Law makes the mere possession of a suppressor is illegal. Only police and hunters with special permission for the emergency slaughtering of livestock inside buildings are allowed to use them.[citation needed]

In Austria, purchasing and possession of a suppressor is prohibited according to §17 of the Austrian Weapons Law.

(Susquehanna County)

I always thought that in Finland if you were 18 years old you had to have a rifle in your home as you were a part of the army ! Since they don't have a standing army all male citizens were part of the army

(Centre County)

That's Switzerland. While there are many guns in the hands of private citizens in Finland, there are many hoops one has to jump through to get cleared to own one, according to what my Finnish friends told me.

(Chester County)

I have no idea, thats why I asked. And i dont know how much i trust an un-cited wikipedia snip.

(Centre County)

almost all hundguns are completely 100% positivly banned in Japan.
    They even consider CO2 guns as "real" gun.

I think you can get rifles, but some tidious law you needs to follow

I think way their laws work, you have to compete in airgun competition for like 5 years, then you may apply for shotgun permit. But you'll need to find a sponser which must be from established shooting association

If you get shotgun permit, then keeps it without ANY issue for 10 years, then you can apply for single projectile weapon(like high power hunting rifle, which needs to be bigger then 6mm, but 5.56 are exampt). Nothing that holds more then 3rds.

Then you'll have to keep the firearm(any) at your local police stations
    22LR falls in somewhere along the way, but donno where

or something rideculeous like that.

I think switzland requires/issues gun to all able body. I read it somewhere recently that its perfectry normal to see like 9y/o girl in Barbie bicycle to be carrying assult rifle back from practice or whatever.
    Last edited by Mity2; November 18th, 2007 at 09:41 PM.
    Audemus jura nostra defendere

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Mity2 View Post

I think switzland requires/issues gun to all able body. I read it somewhere recently that its perfectry normal to see like 9y/o girl in Barbie bicycle to be carrying assult rifle back from practice or whatever.
    Nice, whens that coming to america?

(Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by jh664322 View Post
    Nice, whens that coming to america?
    Switzerland is rather an interesting nation.

The military of Switzerland, officially known as the Swiss Armed Forces, is a unique institution somewhere between a militia and a regular army. Paragraph 19 of the their revised constitution of 1874 extended the definition of the federal army to every able-bodied citizens, man and women. All able-bodied Swiss males aged between 19 and 31 must serve, and although entry to recruit school may be delayed due to senior secondary school, it is no longer possible to postpone it for university studies. About one third is excluded for various reasons, and these either serve in Civil Protection or Civilian Service.
    members of the armed forces keep their rifles and uniforms in their homes for immediate mobilisation, as well as 50 rounds of ammunition in a sealed tin, to be used for self defence while traveling to the mobilisation points. Additional ammunition is kept at military bases where the militia are supposed to report. Swiss military doctrines are arranged in ways that make this organisation very effective and rapid. Switzerland claims to be able to mobilise the entire population for warfare within 12 hours. In contrast, it can take several weeks to several months for a militarily-active country such as the United States to mobilise its military force.

There was an interesting quote I read somewhere little while ago, which I can't find it. But it was something like when Ulrich Wille(general of Swissarmy during WWI) was asked how many man can he mobilize under his command by William II, German Emperor in pre days of WWI, he answered "I can mobilize 100000 men in 24 hours". William II then replyed that what will swiss army do if Germany invade swiss with 1000000 men. Ulrich Willie's replys were "then I'd order my men to shoot 10 enemys and go home"
    Which I thought was funny.

Because of this, the gun policy in Switzerland is unique in Europe. The personal weapon of militia personnel is kept at home as part of the military obligations. This, in addition to liberal gun laws and strong shooting traditions, has led to a very high gun count per capita. Much more so then that of US.
    The government subsidizes the production of military ammunition and then sells the ammunition at cost

You see, while Switzerland being permanently nutral(they will NOT take side - During WWII, United States/Germany were warned that single aircraft would be forced down, while bomber formations would be intercepted without warning. During WWII, Swiss shotdown something like 197 aircraft of both side)
    Swiss have never been invaded, not because of some sissy political policy, but rather, its one of the most militarized nation in the world. And with every abled body armed to the teeth, cost of any invading forces would be catastrophic.

I don't see US impromenting this type of policy, there for we'll never be able to walk in to grocerry store with our assult rifle and walk out without SWAT welcoming party. Here is interesting pic I found

Caption states
    "swiss teen on his way home from mandatory shooting practice, taking care of his mother's shopping list with his assult weapon slung over his shoulder"

Intersting fact is that despite of all this weapons everywhere, Switzerland has traditionally a low crime rate. Infact, in recent years the overall crime rate has been stable and even slightly decreasing since 2004
    Last edited by Mity2; November 19th, 2007 at 03:20 PM.
    Audemus jura nostra defendere

(Chester County)

Thats awesome. It makes sense too. You see a country and you consider the militarized forces as threats when you invade it, the civilians are generally considered as no threat. Try invading Switzerland then...!

I think this is also intrinsic in that the middle eastern countries that were invaded have an armed citizenry also...and we all know they are not giving up easily.

I wish that mind set would come to the us.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast