Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Chester County)

Default Going to NY for a couple days, and the laws are boggling my mind.

I would love for someone to tell me I'm wrong, but I have to go to "upstate" NY for the weekend, and it appears I can't bring a handgun.

I'll have my Mossy 500 J.I.C., unloaded of course, but I'll be staying in a hotel in an area I'm completely unfamiliar with, and can't get my head around the fact that NY would prefer I be defenseless against an intruder in my hotel room rather than allow me to bring my legally purchased and owned handgun into the state to keep at my side for protection.

I grew up in NY, shooting any and all type of guns, but haven't live there in 25 years. Even after moving away, I've alway taken handguns with me when I visited in the past to do some target shooting with my dad on his land, but until joining this forum, I had no idea I had apparently been breaking the law.

Again, if I am misinterpretting the NY law, please let me know ASAP.

(Tioga County)

Default Re: Going to NY for a couple days, and the laws are boggling my mind.

Unless your going directly to a sanctioned shoot and have paperwork to prove it, your toast. Then it had better be empty, in a locked container and the ammo in another locked container.
    USNRET '61-'81

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by rwilson452 View Post
    Unless your going directly to a sanctioned shoot and have paperwork to prove it, your toast. Then it had better be empty, in a locked container and the ammo in another locked container.
    Does that include the shotgun, or only if I wanted to bring a handgun? I know the shotty must be unloaded and locked up in my Jeep, but I'd desperately like to have a handgun with me, and as the tired old cliche goes, I'd much rather be judged by twelve than carried by six.

(Tioga County)

That was for handguns. long guns, I have no idea. To be in possession of a hand gun in NYS you must possess a permission slip from the government. They don't issue them to nonresidents

Quote Originally Posted by str8shooter View Post
    Does that include the shotgun, or only if I wanted to bring a handgun? I know the shotty must be unloaded and locked up in my Jeep, but I'd desperately like to have a handgun with me, and as the tired old cliche goes, I'd much rather be judged by twelve than carried by six.
    USNRET '61-'81

(Butler County)

We went on a winery tour thru Erie and Northeast, next thing I knew I was reading a sign that said Welcome to New York. I turned around in the first spot I could find and went back to Pa. Wife was kinda pissed, I had to explain it all to her. 2 loaded handguns in the car = big trouble. I'm not going to take the chance.

(Adams County)

I'm not sure taking a vacation in upstate NY will cover you under the federal transporting laws.

Sounds like risk management. Is the risk to your personal safety greater than the risk that you might get caught with a shotgun and get arrested and then lose your right to own firearms and carry them in PA?

camper
    It's the 2nd Amendment that protects all others

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by camper View Post
    I'm not sure taking a vacation in upstate NY will cover you under the federal transporting laws.

Sounds like risk management. Is the risk to your personal safety greater than the risk that you might get caught with a shotgun and get arrested and then lose your right to own firearms and carry them in PA?

camper
    I have no choice in regard to NY, but I was grasping at straws in hopes that someone would tell me I'm wrong about not being able to bring a handgun.

I does appear that taking a shotgun, carried in the method duly ordained by the dictator and his council of elders is legal and will have to suffice, but again, if I'm wrong about that I'll have to go naked.

I have taught my kids that breaking the law, even if you don't get caught, is still breaking the law and will not be condoned or tolerated in my house. Now I have to live by those words or risk having them question the many other pearls of wisdom I've doled out over the years.

(Adams County)

I hear you. I gotta go to Jersey on Sat, and if there is one place that I feel taking a firearm with me is a requirement, its Jersey. Unfortuantely, I don't think I'd like jail so I'm not risking anything. Plus, I gotta pass through Philly too. Insult to injury, it is.

At least I'll be bringing back my old 30.06, crippled with no ammo in the car and locked with a trigger lock in a locked carrying case, but ehh...its like not having a gun in the car at all

camper
    It's the 2nd Amendment that protects all others