Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 6.5 jap

(Lehigh County)

Default 6.5 jap

i got a 6.5 jap that has been in the family for a while i think its a type 38 but not sure. barrel is origional length the stock has been cut down long ago i refinished it though it looks nice its not full length anymore : ( and there are sone small driled and tapped holes on the reciever (scope mount at one time i assume). the mum is ground off too but bluing is still nice anyway. approxamatly what are these guns worth? and approx how much in condition i explained? i thought about selling it but dont wanna get ripped off and dont wanna rip someone off if i would end up sending it on to a new home. im partial to keeping it but ammo is just a little to hard to find and a little on the pricey side at times what would you guys do? sorry about jabbering on and on lol

(Chester County)

Default Re: 6.5 jap

If its 6.5 caliber, then it will be a type 38. Go to gunboards.com and go to the Japanese rifle forum. There will be someone there who can give you a pretty good answer to your value question.

If it were me, I'd keep the gun. Ammo is not that hard to obtain (Cabela's in Hamburg Pa sells it). You can also consider the reloading route. That's what I am doing with my type 99.
    Last edited by Poonie; July 31st, 2008 at 10:37 PM.

(Lancaster County)

Unfortunately the gun is not worth that much since it has been sporterized and drilled and tapped. It no longer has any collector value. If you don't know the history of how the rifle came into your family, try to find out and write it down. It may be more valuable to you than anybody else.

Here is a link that will help you decipher the markings on the receiver.

http://www.radix.net/~bbrown/japanese_markings.html

(Philadelphia County)

sorry to say, but about 100 bucks.

(Lehigh County)

yeah it sucks that it has been sporterized cause of the value loss its fun to shoot though. i didnt know cabellas sells the ammo for it never thought of looking there been trying gun shows and shops in lehigh valley area and normally dont find too much if any amo at times in this area. i dont know exactly how it came into family but think it was from a time when lane co. sold guns lol heard storys that you could buy these rifles there and i think a place called al mart for like 15 to 20 dollars out of a barrel. alo heard back in the day you could buy mausers and other surplus rifles the same way from department stores all really cheap compared to todays high prices

(Lancaster County)

Yeah "back in the day" there were barrels of guns and they were much cheaper. But you also have to remember what people got paid too.

Hornady makes 6.5 Jap and it generally runs about $20/box of 20. You can order it thru Midway or Grafs or Cabelas might have some in Hamburg but I can gurantee it's a little more. Unless you plan on buying a lot of ammo, Cabelas would probably be the place to check 1st. Save your brass and reload.

(Lehigh County)

if guns were that cheap yet and sold in barrels i think my house would be filled with them lol especially if you could get mausers that cheap. but like you said wages were a lot lower so was gas too. i read up on some stuff like back in the 20's i think you could buy a .22 rifle for like 4 dollars from sears!!! wish i could have been around to see this stuff and all the other neat things from back in time.

(Lancaster County)

My parents bought their 1st house for $3000.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by wizzegun View Post
    Yeah "back in the day" there were barrels of guns and they were much cheaper. But you also have to remember what people got paid too.

Hornady makes 6.5 Jap and it generally runs about $20/box of 20. You can order it thru Midway or Grafs or Cabelas might have some in Hamburg but I can gurantee it's a little more. Unless you plan on buying a lot of ammo, Cabelas would probably be the place to check 1st. Save your brass and reload.

Cabela's wants $22.99 a box for 7.7 so I would assume the 6.5 is running about the same. They also had empty 7.7 brass for $50.00 a bag of 50. Yes, keep the brass and reload it.

(Montgomery County)

To put it in perspective. I have a Japanese 7.7 rifle, really good condition, AA sights, dust cover, and mum is perfect. Allegedly it was a bring-back taken off a dead guy on one of the islands.

* I thought it would be worth a lot- but after checking gunbroker, various web sites, and calling around, I generally would lucky to get $500 for it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast