Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Impact of the OC Event in Dickson City

I am posting this as a separate thread because of the nature of the topic. If anyone in power feels the need to merge it into the mega thread, my feelings will not be hurt.

I have been participating on the Scranton Political board where there is a long running thread on this topic. Here is a recent post by Jamies mob tie:

Neither my wife or myself ever considered owning a gun, let alone carrying one on our person, but this thread has made enough strong points to get us to the counter at Dick's and other guns shops to look over the choices. We were surprised by how many there are to pick from, but my wife settled on a small pistol while I chose a .38 with a long barrel. We filled out all the paperwork, so we'll soon be gun owners. The salesman has offered a lot of literature on organizations we can join to help with learning how to use the gun properly. I have a good feeling about it already, especially the part where my wife will never be vulnerable in case something does happen. I get the idea we'll even sleep better with them at our reach.
    I have heard a lot from other "gunnies" who think the OC effort causes more problems than it is worth, but to drag out the old liberal saw, "If it saves just one life, it will be worth it". In all seriousness, I really love reading stuff like this, because someone has thought through the issue and is now acting on it. Bravo for Jamies mob tie and his wife!

Detroit (but Pittsburgh is always home), Michigan

Default Re: Impact of the OC Event in Dickson City

That's nice, but talk is cheap on message boards. I think that until Pa. Patriot gets his gun back (which I hope he does soon), the net impact is negative. After that, we'll have to see. Reason being, how many time read all that B.S. in the Scranton Times-Tribune and were convinced otherwise?

Just askin' is all....
    Last edited by Johannes_Paulsen; May 25th, 2008 at 08:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jkp1187 View Post
    Reason being, how many time read all that B.S. in the Scranton Times-Tribune and were convinced otherwise?

Just askin' is all....
    Can you parse this for me? I am not sure what it means. In any event, yes, talk is cheap. But are we to discount all the positive that is going to come of this event? Yeah, it was a huge abuse of legal authority, but look at the shock waves it has generated. There are going to be people who insist on keeping their heads in the sand, but there will be a lot of people who will think about this and understand, people who will have their awareness enlarged. Even if only the police and other LE groups know that this is a legal right here in the Commonwealth, it is a huge victory.

(Butler County)

"Quote:
    Neither my wife or myself ever considered owning a gun, let alone carrying one on our person, but this thread has made enough strong points to get us to the counter at Dick's and other guns shops to look over the choices. We were surprised by how many there are to pick from, but my wife settled on a small pistol while I chose a .38 with a long barrel. We filled out all the paperwork, so we'll soon be gun owners. The salesman has offered a lot of literature on organizations we can join to help with learning how to use the gun properly. I have a good feeling about it already, especially the part where my wife will never be vulnerable in case something does happen. I get the idea we'll even sleep better with them at our reach."

When did Dicks start carrying hand guns?
    I used to be indecisive. Now I'm not sure.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue River View Post
    "Quote:
    Neither my wife or myself ever considered owning a gun, let alone carrying one on our person, but this thread has made enough strong points to get us to the counter at Dick's and other guns shops to look over the choices. We were surprised by how many there are to pick from, but my wife settled on a small pistol while I chose a .38 with a long barrel. We filled out all the paperwork, so we'll soon be gun owners. The salesman has offered a lot of literature on organizations we can join to help with learning how to use the gun properly. I have a good feeling about it already, especially the part where my wife will never be vulnerable in case something does happen. I get the idea we'll even sleep better with them at our reach."

When did Dicks start carrying hand guns?
    They don't. Read it again.

The four words immediately following the one you made bold, make all the difference in the world.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Allegheny County)

I agree, there are alot of positive responses from people. I don't think James is real though. I think after he filled out the paperwork for those guns, he should have waited the five minutes to take them home.

(Luzerne County)

(Wayne County)

It's good to see people are waking up and taking action in defending themselves.

"I Am Become Death" - J. Robert Oppenheimer

(Blair County)

Quote Originally Posted by SFMarine View Post
    It's good to see people are waking up and taking action in defending themselves.
    Couldn't have said it better myself. Amen!
    ~ Luke... Come to the dark side... We have cookies! ~

OK, let's consider the upsides so far from the Dickson City event:

1. The Lackawanna County DA has admitted that open carry is legal and no requirement to show ID to police. Not even Dickson City police interfered with open carry at city hall for the council meeting. No doubt police across PA are reevaluating their training in this area.

2. Newspaper reporters and columnists across PA have announced loudly that open carry is legal, taking various sides of whether or not they like open carry.

3. Multiple legislators have stepped up to the plate to support the right to open carry and states that they will oppose efforts to impose more gun control, including opposing efforts to ban open carry.

4. And almost everybody who watching knows that the real shoe that's about to be dropped is exposing ongoing police confiscations of guns in PA to do "serial number checks" is about to be exposed as unlawful and pointless. This should cause legislators to take a serious look for the continued maintenance of the record of transfer database - that databse needs to be either destroyed, or, its access highly limited to only lawful investigations of guns properly seized - seizure of guns merely to check them against this database must be outlawed!