Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Allegheny County)

Default how to install a scope on a pistol?

Any tips or tricks to get it on so that i can try to sight it easier (i.e. tips for proper alignment)? Any tips on how to sight it in? Ive never had a scope before

(Susquehanna County)

Default Re: how to install a scope on a pistol?

So what exactly are you talking about? There is all kinds of mounts and bases for all kinds of pistols (and revolvers) and all kinds of scopes.

For example, some S&W revolvers have the top strap drilled and tapped for a base that can accept weaver rings. M1911s for the most part require drilling and tapping the slide to accept a base unless you use the "bridge" type (like Jack Weigand makes) then you must drill and tap the dust cover. 'Course if you don't like that there is a maker or two that makes a gimmick that will replace one of the handgun grips with a single piece grip and bridge base. I've even seen a widget that had the same cross-section as a Hammerli 280 barrel that allowed fitiing a base and scope without drilling and tapping.

Now if you're really asking: Is there an easy way to bore sight a scope on a pistol? I haven't found it yet, but I would guess that a laser boresighter that fits into the end of the barrel would work.

(Allegheny County)

I suppose i was really just asking the second part. I have a beretta neos with a weaver rail on it and im ordering a scope tommorow. I just have no experience with scopes so i wasnt sure if there was a certain way to do things.

I appreciate your help!

(Centre County)

Make sure you get a long eye relief scope made for a handgun (remember you hold it a longer way away from your eyes than a rifle scope).

A laser bore sighter would be the easiest way to get started. It fits in the barrel with an adapter to fit the bore (to keep it centered). You then rest the gun, turn on the bore sighter, sight on a target and see where the red dot is in relation to the scope crosshairs (or whatever type aiming point that is on the scope), and adjust the scope to match the bore sighter dot. This will get you on the paper and then you can fine tune by shooting. Please remember to take the bore sighter out of the barrel. Don't laugh, people have forgot before and ruined the gun.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member