Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Philadelphia County)

Default Getting Comfortable?

Don't!
    I have owned AR's for years now and lived with my M16 through BCT. I am very comfortable with the weapon system and even find it comforting (I'm also the guy who slept better at the FOB on the nights they had live night-fire training). A friend of mine stopped by the other night and I showed him my pistol, locked the slide back and checked the chamber and handed it to him. I only just now realized that when I showed him my AR I just handed it to him, that's it. Didn't lock the bolt back, didn't check the chamber. What worries me even more is a week or so previous I woke up with it in hand trying to get a magazine into the well before I realized I was awake, nobody was coming up the stairs and it wasn't winter. So while I am still pretty sure the chamber is empty, I can no longer be sure. I still check even when I am sure, however this realization made me think.
    I know this has been said before on this and pretty much every gun board there is. However someone posting and saying "Hey, I got comfortable and coulda fucked up! Make sure you stop and ask yourself if you've been getting a little lax yourself" now and again is a good reminder. And for all of you who are like I was and think, "shit I'll never do anything like that, I'll never be the guy making a post like that" think again.
    Warning: I may not read responses to OP before posting

(Lehigh County)

Default Re: Getting Comfortable?

complacency kills

I had a guy on at Camp David who didn't realize he had racked a round in his mossy 590 during a training drill (live ammo), and never bothered to ensure his weapon was on SAFE and unloaded after the drill.

with the shotty slung (strong side muzzle up), he jumped down off a rock... and the gun went off... right next to his ear.

well, he was booted from Pres. Security for the N/D and he's deaf in that ear.
    The last thing I want to do is hurt you... but believe me, it's on the damned list.